Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
Best Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier ???

I want to carry a BMW airhead motorcycle that weighs about 425 pounds on a hitch mounted carrier on the back of my coach that has a 5000 pound hitch. ACTUAL Experience requested. Thanks in advance.

dcrbmwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, you're from York and dare ride a Beemer. I rode Beemers for years and felt funny just riding through York.

They 5k hitch is only made to pull 5k not carry it. There's no way I'd carry a full size bike on a hitch. Although it would be entertaining to follow someone doing it (at a distance).

Over built makes one of the best bike carriers out there but your MH chassis will determine if they would mount it. A lot of the Ford based Class A chassis have been extended and they won't mount it on an extended chassis. Because mine was I have to tow.

DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMHO one hitch is not enough to support that heavy of a motorcycle. You will need a total of 3 receivers to balance and distribute the weight properly. The additional receivers will need to be affixed/welded to the frame of the chassis. The amount of overhang is a factor and adds stress on the chassis and the extra weight could lighten the front axle and effect braking.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
Actually, DGShaffer, I own 5. Three airheads and 2 K bikes. The 5K hitch has a 500 pound tongue weight. That is theoretically enuf capacity for the bike and the 63 pound carrier. I wanted to see if there was anyone out there who actually used a hitch mounted carrier. As to lightening the front end to affect braking, I don't see how the tongue weight of 500 pounds could be advertized as such if it would affect the safe operation of the RV. What am I missing here?
dcrbmwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dc, I have a suzuki Bergman 650 that weighs a little more than your BMW. I looked into the Versa Haul, which has a model rated up to 600 lbs. The problem is your bike weighs 425 empty and the carrier weighs 90 lbs. which is over the hitch's rating @ 500 lbs. max. With the side to side flexing of that much weight driving down the road, it seems to be a potential recipe for disaster with just one hitch (even with their flexing suppressor). I think doggy daddy is right about going the extra mile and have 3 hitches back there. I looked into the power lifts and in most cases cost more than my maxi scooter is worth. Until I can come up with a better solution, I am using a tow dolly with a car and looking to purchase a small utility trailer (5x8) for when I want to take the bike... I am interested to hear what others have to say...
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Look-up Mighty Lift (manual hydraulic) and Hydralift (power lift)...I'm looking into these now as I have the same need. I will have to reinforce the oem Workhorse hitch.
2014 XLR 415AMP, 2011 F350 6.7 DRW, restored 82 Wing, 02 Shadow, 06 ST1300A, NRA Benefactors.
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Originally Posted by dcrbmwc View Post
I want to carry a BMW airhead motorcycle that weighs about 425 pounds on a hitch mounted carrier on the back of my coach that has a 5000 pound hitch. ACTUAL Experience requested. Thanks in advance.
Well Sir, yes, I'd done EXACTLY what you're asking. And, I've done multiple versions of it. I've carried Yamaha TW200s, Honda XR65Ls and more on hitch mounted receivers. And, it was a SINGLE receiver and, we still towed our Jeep with the bike on the carrier. Below is a pic of the carrier I built that worked flawless.

And no, there' was no adverse effects on ANYTHING! It did not effect the handling, braking, ride etc. with any of those bikes on there and towing. Now, I won't argue that at least two receivers would be better, no two ways about that. Depending on your style frame rails, bolting a two-receiver on them would work just fine. If it was done right, you could bolt it up to the same points as the factory hitch. But, that would take a bit of engineering.

Over 400 lbs. in a motorcycle is approaching the somewhat dangerous and awkward loading and unloading operations. If that thing starts to get away while either going up or down the ramp, you COULD get hurt in trying to stop if from falling. I'm sure you've got all this covered but, surely take care in loading it, no matter what kind you purchase.

We've also had the BEST lift/carrier on the planet too. A "HYDRALIFT" on our present coach which we carried a HONDA GL1800 Goldwing. Talk about some weight.

Anyway, your situation is doable quite easily. Too bad you're not closer, I'm not using this one anymore.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Ok flame suit on. You do not say what you have for a rig so I can only give general answers. I would not put 500 lbs tongue weight on a gas rig with any overhang. The 5000 lb tow weight is not the issue it is the tongue limits, I had a 1000 lb goldwing on a rampage lift on the back of my 42' monaco with tag. It did not have any issues with transfer of weight off from front axle and I was not near the limits of the tag I did have to change the load settings on the tag to pick up the weight + the overhand length from center of rear axle.

You could look at these pictures and any questions email me dupdyke@gmail.com

Rampage - a set on Flickr
Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hitch-It Cycle carrier

I have a 32 " Bounder and have used a carrier called Hitch-It. I carried a Honda Helix. Dry weight 365lbs. After loaded with goodies, well over 400 lbs. At first I only used the one receiver and it worked well, between Ohio and Florida. After 3 years I had two more receiver added to it and it worked great. Sold the scooter and still have the Hitch-It for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter & Rack 011.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	54234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter & Rack 012.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	54235  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter & Rack 013.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	54236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter & Rack 014.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	54237  

rsw1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used a Versahaul on both a big diesel pusher and on my 28' class C. Put over 15000 miles on it so far hauling my 375 lb KLR. Did not know it was there. The Versahaul will lit you pull a toad with it too.
Revolution LE 38X C9 Cat
2011 Scion TC toad
1985 KLR 600 as a backup...
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a set-up that I use to TOW my 05 Honda Shadow Aero. It's from the web sit "billybob1.com" Cost around $300 and I've towed the bike over 2000 miles so far with no issues.

2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote