Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #15

I just finished setting up our 08 Wrangler 2dr: ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with built in surge brake, their optional brake-away kit, Blue Ox baseplate and Blue Ox light kit. All new, about $1500 invested, did my own labor. Very happy with results. IF you are going to an aftermarket bumper in the future, I would do it now instead of the baseplate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #16

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Check out RockHard 4x4 bumpers. You can get mounts for any tow bar. I have been going back and forth between LoD and Rockhard 4x4 bumpers they both look good, but I'm leaning towards Rockhard because they have an aluminum bumper that weighs only 37lbs.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Demco base plate and tow bar on ours...
and protect-a-tow mesh screen to keep the chips down

brake buddy advantage in the jeep stops well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-03 001 - Copy.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	113291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	113292  

Old 12-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Check out RockHard 4x4 bumpers. You can get mounts for any tow bar. I have been going back and forth between LoD and Rockhard 4x4 bumpers they both look good, but I'm leaning towards Rockhard because they have an aluminum bumper that weighs only 37lbs.
My mid-width LoD weighed 86 pounds. At the time the only RockHard available was 50 pounds heavier. My Jeep frontend stayed at the same height after the install.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #19

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
My mid-width LoD weighed 86 pounds. At the time the only RockHard available was 50 pounds heavier. My Jeep frontend stayed at the same height after the install.

If you can post a photo of your bumper. I was looking at a full width bumper but would like to see a mid width one.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
If you can post a photo of your bumper. I was looking at a full width bumper but would like to see a mid width one.
Here you go. My Warn M8000-S winch is on its way. The mounts beside the fairlead are for my quick release license plate holder. That's a nice piece of kit in itself. The red mud is from a recent trip to AZ.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #21

Just listed the following in this site's classifieds if anyone is looking. Especially if you might be adding a second vehicle to your Ready Brute Elite setup. When I originally ordered an open box setup on Ebay I was missing parts. I wasn’t sure how long it would take to resolve so I ordered from NSA and have extra, new in the package parts.
* NSA RB-012 Brake Tie and Cable conduit for adding second vehicle. This contains everything you need to setup a second towed vehicle for the Ready Brute braking system.* NSA RB-011 Brake Tie & Black Cable Conduit & Sling. Everything that comes with a new Ready Brake. All cables, ties, clamps to attach to your towed vehicle brakes. * NSA RS-5000 Readystop Towed Vehicle Break Away System for Readybrake. * NSA DL 300 In dash monitor light setup.* NSA Safety Cables for towing. For a vehicle being towed behind a motor home. 8000 lbs rating, 7 ft long coiled cables, one pair brand new in sealed bag.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am in the camp recommending a rock bumper with built in tow tabs. Skip the fancy and expensive sliding rod tow bars and get a $150 simple A frame 5,000 pound rated tow bar. Mine is on a CJ but the concept is the same, skip the base plate, those are for cars, not Jeeps. Man up and get a rock bumper. I use a Brake Buddy. Towed over 20 k miles like this.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #23

Jedep Wrangler Toad

Simple and inexpensive.
Ready Brute Elite with built in surge braking 8000 cap unit, Currie Enterprises Tow Bar mount, Separate Bar for lights mounted in the Jeep Hitch to avoid problems with Jeep Electrical and Computer system. This set up works with 2008 or so and up Wranglers which do not have a locking steering wheel.
Contrary to the Incorrect Jeep Manual information just remove the key to make sure your steering wheel is unlocked. Steering wheel lock removal was a running change by Jeep Chrysler not added to owners manual.
Barrier
Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I am in the camp recommending a rock bumper with built in tow tabs. Skip the fancy and expensive sliding rod tow bars and get a $150 simple A frame 5,000 pound rated tow bar. Mine is on a CJ but the concept is the same, skip the base plate, those are for cars, not Jeeps. Man up and get a rock bumper. I use a Brake Buddy. Towed over 20 k miles like this.

I agree with the exception of the non-sliding towbar..I love my girly sliding towbar
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #25

I also wanted an aftermarket bumper, and many of the baseplates say that they'll only work with the OEM bumper. LoD and RockHard were the only brands I could find that have tow tabs available on their bumpers, and LoD's mid-width was less-expensive than the full-width RockHard model. I have this on order with welded tabs for my Blue Ox towbar. I now need a braking system and am torn between the SMI AFO (about $3k installed by my RV dealer) and a portable system like the Blue Ox Patriot (about $1300 from my RV dealer).
Old 12-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #26

I went with the RVibrake2. Completely satisfied with it. On my first multi-day tow I was unsure if it was working properly. I sent an email to Customer Service and they responded quickly with some suggestions. It turned out to be a mis-understanding on my part. It was nice to know that someone was there if I needed help. I run mine off a DieHard Jump Start 12 volt socket. I am completely wireless by using Towmate lights.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #27

I'm interested in the LoD bumper. Would anyone recommend the powder coat option?
Never towed a vehicle long distance nor own a MH yet, but the Jeep is on my very short list.
Any insight would be welcome.
Thanks
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Powder cost should hold up better over time. Power coat is more scratch resistant than paint. Paint is easier to fix if scratched. Of course you can just paint the scratched area if powder coated. My bumpers are power coated, several years old, and have held up well. I would go with the powder coat.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow