Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
Best light weight pickup toad

Hello all,

DW and I just bought a 04 Itasca Sunrise, Workhorse W22 chassis. Both of us are recently retired educators and looking forward to traveling our wonderful USA and Canada. I am sure I will have loads of questions for you all as we progress and get to know Tassie better. One big question - we have a 750 Honda Shadow we want to take with us, and have been looking at all kinds of options to carry it and also have a toad. Thought of a hoist, trailer, Tandem dolly, or pickup and bike in the bed. Given our finances (those power hoists can put you back a ton, and from what I've heard, give Tassie a case of too light front feet), and Tassie's limit of about 5000 towing, and 500 tongue weight we are leaning to the pickup. Other options and ideas are welcome, but if we go with the pickup do you all have any ideas of the best lightweight pickup for the job? Couple more requirements - 4x4 necessary as we are fisherfolks, and crew cab because we want 4 comfortable seats. From my bit of research it seems the Colorado/Canyon is the lightest (but maybe not the best), with an older Tacoma next. Am I in the ball park?

J&SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would think any of the 4X4 small PU's with a manual tranny would work. I've been partial to Fords so the Ranger or Explorer Sport Trac would get my look. Also, some of the Ford 4X4's with auto transmissions can be 4 down towed with a dealer-installed neutral tow kit.

Your real issue with be staying within the 5,000 pound tow limit of your coach. Would think most of the small 4WD PU's would weigh around 4,000 and I'm guessing your Shadow is 500-600 lbs.

Welcome to IRV2. This is surely the best RV site on the web.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
We tow an '05 Colorado 4 x 4 Crew. It weighs 4200 with its normal stuff and full fuel. It might not be the "BEST" but it's got 73K on the odometer and has been towed another 65K. It's been trouble free, has a decent ride and gets pretty good mileage. We like it.
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
I'm with cousin ED. Our Colorado 4X4 has been a good truck. I would look close at a Tacoma stick shift next time, lighter truck and probably better mileage than the 20mpg I am getting.
Gary CA
2016 Fleetwood Southwind 34A
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
09 Canyon V8 Crew Cab here. Very easy setup.
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 35U, W-22 Ultr Power
2009 GMC Canyon V8 4.10 Crew Cab Z71 Toad
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Toad
RTZ6885 is offline   Reply With Quote

canyon, colorado, pickup, tacoma, toad