Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
best method to pull 2011 jeep with gas 35 monaco monarch

Greetings All:

I just spent 2 hours reading combing towing forums and still not where I need to be with information. I bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler sport today. I have read about someone spending 3k to get out the door. I can't do that. Camping World had a tow arm on sale for 600. Can you tell me what else I need. My understanding is tow arm, breastplate, light kit, brake kit (optional), and install. is it possible to get all this for say 1500. I live in Denver and will probably go to Camping World and have them install.
Don_Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have time you can search on Craig's List for a Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000 tow bar which you should be able to pick up for somewhere between $100 and $250. You then purchase the base plates from Camping World and have them install them along with the light package. Having an aux brake system is a personal decision but I recommend getting one but again you can find them used on Craig's list.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the Ready Brute /Ready Brake Tow bar and aux braking system. I did all the labor my self. A brief break down of cost.
$900 for the tow bar and braking setup.
$175 for a set of Roadmaster 1428 brackets (found on eBay)
$110 for the Demco Adapter (From Ready Brute)
$60 for a roadmaster coil cord for lights
$100 for a Cooltech LLC wiring harness for the jeep.
One day's worth of labor
As you can see a proper toad setup need not cost $3000. I think the totals for mine was well under $1500 and a little supplied labor if you can twist a wrench or two. There isn't really much to install it. Take you time and ask a friend for help if you need.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing the weight of the Jeep, living in Colorado, and towing with a gas unit makes a combination that just screams to have axillary braking, it's just not an option for safety's sake.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You spent over 20K for the new Jeep, your safety and the safety of others should be worth something. Get a brake. Check on www.hitchtrader.com. I bought several things there for my Wrangler and saved hundreds.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Everyone:
Thanks so much for your response. I have found methods of better pricing than what I orig found thanks to everyone's responsed. I do agree with the brake to be safe.

Love this site.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don, as an engineer, I highly recommend auxiliary brakes for the dinghy as well as a break away system. Since you have a gas chassis, more than likely it has a towing limit of 1500# without adding brakes on the towed load.

The brakes on the dinghy may only stop you 12" shorter, but if you did not have them, it may make a difference of 1" between having an accident and not having one.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Camping World may have a combo package, tow bar, baseplate, all wiring, cables and install. Ready to tow, but no brake system included. I had mine done there for $1,489

CW will not install anything, that wasn't bought from them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Adventurerv.com is running a sale this month on Blue Ox equipment. I've used them and they are good to deal with.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We found a perfectly good Blue Ox tow bar on Craigslist for $170. As long as nothing is bent or beat up, used is a good way to go. We were lucky to find one with very little use and 1600+ miles so far with NP. Brake system is a Ready Brake and Ready Stop breakaway kit for $600 and something. Installation $0 by yours truly. Toad had the base plate and wiring from previous owner.

DW would love your Jeep though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Blue Ox Aventa and US Unified Tow Brake to tow my Jeep. Also check out SMI and M&G braking systems they are very good. This is the lowest cost for a new Base plate that I found.

Blue OX Baseplate - $335.85
Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, it's been almost 2 months Don. Whatjawldo? Inquiring minds...Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Greetings All:
Well this is where this saga has led me. I found a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar used on-line but the seller has gone dark. That takes me to the WEB.

At HitchSource I found a Roadmaster MX baseplate for 299.00 plus shipping.
At AdventureRV.net I found a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar for 469.00.

I plan to go to Camping World and hopefully they will install without being too upset I did not purchase from them. but they are waaaaaay more expensive. So I have not done any of this yet wut will before RV season and for me that is May.

Thanks everyone.
Don

ps side point this is the third time I typed all this in due to the fact the terrible Dell notebook mouse decides to move where ever it wants to go and I keep losing everything. Yep I know I can plug an external in and fix the issue but it is my wifes computer. She seems to be ok with it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
don
i installed my base plate in about 3 hours very straight forward only 2 holes to drill
for lights i drilled a 15/16 hole in my tail light lens and pressed an 1157 bulb and socket in and wired to a flat 4 connecter works great lighting was less than 20 bux
briabj