Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Best Protection For Toad

New here, and we have a question regarding our toad vehicle.
Just bought a new toad, and in replacing our old one with dings and paint mars on hood and windshield....
We saw a toad behind a DP yesterday with a vinyl like cover that went up over windshield and down over hood and bumper on front of an suv.
Looked like it would work, but we wondered in anyone has one out there and what the thoughts on them are.
We have our tail pipe out the back so cannot use the other method...
Anyone know anything about this product...pros and cons?

alw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
You might take a look here:
Coastline Covers

Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a Roadmaster tow system, try the Tow Defender. I've used mine for about 9K miles and the only dings I have are from knuckleheads opening their doors on the sides
2012 Itasca Meridian 42E, Roadmaster Tow System, Unified Brakes on Toad
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. US Army Armor. Ret
Finhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thumbs down Don't bother

We got a Coastline tow car cover for our Jeep when we first got it for towing behind the coach - the kind that covers the windshield, hood, fenders & grill. Didn't even use it once. It turned out to be more hassle than it was worth, plus the tabs that attach it to the vehicle's wheelwells didn't take into account that our Jeep has coverings in there so the tabs couldn't bend around the fenders to hold it securely. It's also rather bulky to put on.

In order to not scratch your paint, you have to wash your vehicle before you even put it on. Otherwise you could trap dirt/debris under the cover & scratch your finish anyway. Then there's finding a place to stow the dirty cover after you get to your destination, carefully folding it to keep the dirty side out so you don't get anything on the backside that could marr your finish/scratch your windshield when you put it back on. Then, if you drive your toad around at your destination, you should wash it, again, to get any dirt off of it before putting the cover on. So, bottom line, they sound like a good idea, but are too much trouble, IMO. But if ya want one, I've got a never used one for a 2006 Jeep Liberty I'd let go cheap!

Instead, we installed custom mudflaps behind all the tires, plus we have the heavy rubber tow guard that hangs from chains at the rear of our coach. What dings/nicks we do get, we live with & touch them up with paint.

Oh, & welcome to iRV2 . We're glad to have you here. Post often & safe travels.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
We only started RVing in '01, but have towed well over 80K. We have never had a ding or chip on our toad. We get them VERY DIRTY sometimes but don't use any protection. Maybe our gasser with a very long overhang works differentlt than a DP!
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Anything that you would use that acutually works is a PIA to use!

The only possibility is if you know in advance of a bad road trip, install this stuff that auto transporters use. It is clear, when done with your trip, peel it off and throw it away.

car care products
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
We have a vinyl cover that covers the front grill, hood & windshield. It's in three separate pieces. The part over the grill stays on all the time. Then there is a small piece that covers just the front few inches of the hood when we are driving the car around - not towing. Like the common car "bra" you see all the time. Then there is a third piece that replaces the small hood one when the vehicle is being towed. It covers the hood and windshield. We have been using it for about 3 years (2 years full time) and never had a ding/scratch or broken windshield on the tow. It's very easy to put on and take off - probably takes us only about 3 minutes and we usually get it in place the night before we are leaving and just leave the part that covers the windshield folded down over the hood until we hook up. So it adds only seconds to our actual hook up time. We have a Saturn Vue that we bought specifically to be a tow vehicle and the dealer had the cover as an available after market accessory, so we bought it directly from them. It is custom made to fit a Vue. I imagine you can get them made for other types of cars too. There is a tab sewn into the hood/windshield cover saying it was made by "Horizon" in Buena Park and gives a phone number of 714-523-5601.

We've never washed the car before using the cover so I suppose we might be adding some fine scratches from dirt and debris under the cover as mentioned by NLOVNIT in a previous post, but if we are, they aren't visible to me. Yes, the cover does get dirty, but we just fold it up with the dirty side "inside". Once folded up, it lays flat. It's not all that bulky and easily just stores in the cargo area of the VUE or in one of the storage compartments of the MH when we are parked for extended periods.

We think it is more than worth the very minimal hassle of putting it on and taking it off every time we tow the car.
2007 Safari Cheetah 41', Full timers since 6/07
Our Travel Blog
CheetahGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
I guess we are lucky, using our CoastLine Cover on our Saturn VUE.
Four trips up and down the Alaska Highway using ours, and getting ready for the fifth trip, we have no noticable damage to the vehicle finish. While I guess we may have some fine hairline scratches, the clearcoat finish must asorb them. But, then again, our VUE is a 2004 version with many many miles towing, and 38k driving, so some minor scratches are normal.
When we first got the CoastLine Tow Shield, it took me about an hour to initally set it up for our vehicle. After the initial setup, it now takes me about 5-10 minutes to install the cover. The trick, as I have found, is the way you fold the cover for storage. Properly done, it is a snap to unfold and install.
I did have one problem with the cover. Last year we decided to drive the Cassiar Highway through British Columbia in September. Heavy rains turned sections of the highway into a reall mess, and the pounding rain found a way past the windshield straps, causing leakage inside both front doors.
A call to CoastLine, and reporting the problem was met with a "send it back to us with a $20.00 check for return postage, and we will take care of the problem", even though the unit was nearly four years old. I did, and they did; now I have a completely different windshield attachment system, and a pair of "gutters" down each side to deflect any driven rain. While I have not used it in driven rain again, I feel sure the problem has been taken care of.

2002 Discovery
2004 Saturn VUE AWD
VIP Mountain Master Tow Brake
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
If your exhaust is turned at least 45 degrees you can use a Roadmaster Tow Defender or similar Blue Ox or other provider. I use the roadmaster unit along with Roadmaster Tow Bar. I have towed my 08 Jeep about 18k miles and do not have any paint or glass chips caused by debris launched by the motorhome. It takes me less than 19 minutes to attach tow bar to the jeep with air line for aux brake, cable for aux brake break away, break away cables, electrical hookup, tow defender and brake light/turn signal check.
So, one could say I'm happy!

2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
On my previous post should be 10 minutes NOT 19

2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
cannot use the other method...
What "other method" are you refering to?? There actually are lots of "other methods" beyond a "bra" type cover on the toad.

I think the most effective is the Underskirt type that Blue Ox and some other mfg'ers (Roadmaster Defender) make -- that is one that can be limited by a rear exhaust. We use a Blue Ox Kargard shield (similar to Roadmaster Guardian), modified to mount at slant toward to motorhome to deflect stones downward rather than back into the rear of the coach. All have their advantages/disadvantages --- basically, you make you choice, then you "pays your money and takes your chances."
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Hi All

We have been towing the Jeep for 3 Years with No protection and we do have a few Dings!! But nothing serious!!

If I was going to Alaska I would for sure have something!!

The Rear Mud Flap is Good until you get into some gravel and then it Kicks UP the rocks!!

If I was gonna get something it would be the The Roadmaster Tow Defender!!

As Ronnie said it WORKS!!

'05 Kountry Star 3910 ISC 330 Cummins '08 Jeep Wrangler Four Door Blue Ox
Latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you asked for the BEST protection.. Here is is Car Trailers, Auto Trailers, Racecar Carrier Trailers, Enclosed Auto Transporter Trailers by Haulmark

Of course.. I can think of several reasons NOT to choose this option

The ENCLOSED is the best
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just got a Coastliner today for my MiniCooper. Order and ship in less than a week. I had no other options since my Storm rearend sits high with no bumper to attach a rock guard. I will using a tow dolly (automatic trans). Let you know here shortly how well it fits and works.

Charles and Edith
2016 Coachmen Pursuit 33BH w/2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2013 Honda Metropolitan NCH50
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote