Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #29

I've had the Acme Eze-Tow for 2 yrs. now, and I've towed both my smart car & my wife's front wheel drive (Auto) Chevy Aveo with no problems so far. The steering on the smart doesn't lock, and on the Aveo, just turn off the ignition and leave the key in. The steering will not lock until the key is taken out of the ignition. Eze-Tow will handle any size vehicle from a lawn mower to a large SUV. Also, something else to consider is the actual weight of the dolly itself. Some dollies weigh so much that it makes it almost impossible to move by hand, and you can't back up a MH with a dolly attached. At least "I" can't! So....disconnecting the dolly when you reach your campsite/driveway becomes a necessity, and it's really easy to move the Eze-Tow by myself. That wouldn't be possible with some of the other dollies. Just something to consider. NOT having a movable/turnable pan or steering wheels on the dolly has never been a problem for me, and I've turned circles without any fear of the car colliding with the dolly or vice versa. It just doesn't happen. At least not with either of my setups. The dolly tracks extremely well, and loaded or unloaded, I can't even tell it's there except in my rear camera monitor. BTW.......I looked at all the other ones, too before buying the Eze-Tow, and none of the ones with built in ramps would have worked with my extremely short wheel-base smart. The ramps would kill my undercarriage & fascia!
bigcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE.

I also have some reservations about their tires, size and availability.[/QUOTE]

I share your concern about the size. I have just begun looking at dollies. In the threads I have read and posted, it does not seem to concern others. Do you think the 10" tires are just too small?
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
[QUOTE.

I also have some reservations about their tires, size and availability.

I share your concern about the size. I have just begun looking at dollies. In the threads I have read and posted, it does not seem to concern others. Do you think the 10" tires are just too small?[/QUOTE]

The rim size is 10"...The tires are 21" tall. But these are not go-cart or wheelbarrow tires and were made specifically for on-road use. 10ply E rated at up to 90PSI.

The good thing about the tire size is that the axle tube does not need a large drop section and it still rides at a nice level for most all cars without the nose being too high off the ground.

Yes, it is different from other dolly's and maybe that' why it works so well.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
The best dolley on the market is the Demco Kar Kaddy SS But it is also the most expensive. I have had one for 7 years and I did replace the tires because of born on date and I have adjusted the brakes twice. Shop around for price I got mine for about $1000 less than Demco wanted from a place in WIS.

I couldn't have said it any better. I got ours last year for $2,200.00, A little story the sticker on the unit said $2,400.00 but the sales gal said $2,200.00 and I made them stick to it.
I really like it she said that it was a year old and the guy only used it once or twice. I believe her since the blue on the side of the tire was still on it. Our toad is a 1999 Cadillac Concours and our MH is a 82 and pulls like there is nothing back there.
I was just at the place we bought it and they have another one for $2800.00 if interested, its south of Mpls.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #33

Spritz, I can get a big Master Tow with surge brakes for $2000. What makes the Demco Kar Kaddy SS worth me spending $800 more dollars? Need the 80 inch inside the fender wells which I assume the Demco has as well. Thankd
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, Well i guess I will put my 2 cents in too. I have 2001 tow dolly with electric brakes and love it. It has towed a honda civic to AK an back with steering wheel locked as the dolly has steerable wheels. The Dolly follows in the motorhomes'
rear wheel tracks.
I now have a Ford Escape and the wheel is not lockable and it tows just fine. I like the electric brakes as I can adjust the amount of braking I want or turn it off.
For the life of me I can't understand why one would want surge brakes on a tow dolly unless they are too lazy to install a brake controller in the motorhome.
Surge brakes were designed for boat trailers as the wheels go into the water sometimes and electric couldn't be used in that condition.
In closing I would highly recommend a steerable tow dolly with electric brakes. BTW I have used my tow dolly for over 53k miles.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi, Well i guess I will put my 2 cents in too...I like the electric brakes as I can adjust the amount of braking I want or turn it off.
For the life of me I can't understand why one would want surge brakes on a tow dolly unless they are too lazy to install a brake controller in the motorhome.
Surge brakes were designed for boat trailers as the wheels go into the water sometimes and electric couldn't be used in that condition.
The reason for surge brakes on a tow dolly is very simple, infinitely adjustable braking.

And, the BEST is surge-disc brakes.

I have a Tekonsha brake contoller (see no lazyness) BUT still much prefer how the surge brakes adjust automatically based on the weight of the toad (loaded or not) or if the dolly itself is unloaded.

The amazing part to me is why anyone would ever "turn-off" a braking system for any reason(?). Hope someone could expound about this...
...But, I can understand how getting the electric brake re-set right after a change in toad weight could be a reason that some may just turn it off...better than locking up the tires (you KNOW that happens!)

Yes, boat trailers do have surge brakes. Yes, for the brakes in water reason...and because of the massive difference between loaded and empty weight. With the length of even the smallest boat trailer, there is never a reason to run without brakes.

Safe travels to all.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #36

Tom, it isn't that I am too lazy, but I am too old and not that knowledgeable about running an electric brake set to tow 4 to 5 different vehicles. I'll be 80 this summer and not at crafty as I used to be. I have 3 grandsons and a daughter that will use the MH besides my own car now and than so thought surge brakes was the way to go.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Spritz, I can get a big Master Tow with surge brakes for $2000. What makes the Demco Kar Kaddy SS worth me spending $800 more dollars? Need the 80 inch inside the fender wells which I assume the Demco has as well. Thankd
Hi Fighterpilot,
First thanks for your service, I presume you served our Country, again Thanks
I had looked at a few different kind of dollies but liked the way the KarKatty SS looked and it has the surge breaks, steerable wheels, I can tow more than 1 vehicle and is built strong and the biggest was that the tongue breaks apart for storage. The only thing I have trouble with is having to get under the Toad and attach the safty chains, I am disabled with a bad back getting down is okay its getting back up is were I have a problem. I keep both the MH and the dolly @ home year round.
No I am not lazy either (another poster) but to have any other way to tow a car was around $5,000.00 for everything. I didn't pay that much for the MH
Thanks again, Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	40881  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #38

Spritz, appreciate your post. 200 mission over Vietnam the high point, or maybe, since it was Vietnam, the low point in my 30 year career. What a waste of young lives.

Anyway, will add KarKaddy to my list. Seeing your picture with the snow reminds me of my youth, growing up in upstate Pennsylvania. One of the reasons I am now in Florida where my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren live.Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The KK-460 is galvanized and the fenders are plastic so not much to rust and no painting either. You do have to polish the chrome wheels though. Sorry about that!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Hi Fighterpilot,
First thanks for your service, I presume you served our Country, again Thanks
I had looked at a few different kind of dollies but liked the way the KarKatty SS looked and it has the surge breaks, steerable wheels, I can tow more than 1 vehicle and is built strong and the biggest was that the tongue breaks apart for storage. The only thing I have trouble with is having to get under the Toad and attach the safty chains, I am disabled with a bad back getting down is okay its getting back up is were I have a problem. I keep both the MH and the dolly @ home year round.
No I am not lazy either (another poster) but to have any other way to tow a car was around $5,000.00 for everything. I didn't pay that much for the MH
Thanks again, Tim
I put an eyelet on the front part of the frame on each side of the car so I don't have to get under it to hook the safety chains.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My Brother in law did 3 tours in Vietnam, I was to young to go, Yes a sad part of history. It is a hot place for vacations now. How strange
That's funny when I see snow I think of Florida BEACHES
That's okay I polished the plastic fenders also. Then I did the MH and am just getting done waxing her again. I believe that if its painted it should shine she was in pretty bad shape when I bought her home last season, 8 hours using a pressure washer very heavily oxidization and back mold from the tree's then a week with the buffer. Its alot easier this year for sure.
I can get a eyelet on one side but nothing on the other side to attach it to. Can I have it welded to the frame?
Thank's everyone, Tim
Old 06-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just talked with Acme. Ordered an EZE Tow. Will pick it up July 13-14 on the way north. No shipping, no sales tax, they will set it up for me and show how to use. $1799.99 with LED upgrade - out the door.

Hope I'm not making a mistake. Still a little concerned about the small tires. Just remembered I forgot to order a spare....
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, dolly