Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #1

Best surge brake Dolly?

Believe a surge brake Dolly would be our best choice. Have multiple famiiles with different vehicles that would use the MH now and than and it would seem one dolly with surge brakes would be functional for all. A weekend trip or a weeks vacation to some place would be the type of use. Now there are a number of different surge brake dollies on the market. The least expensive would seem to be the EZE Tow, but it doesn't have any kind of steering mechanism and that concerns me. Yet a lot of the folks that have them like them. Demco is another model as is Landgrebe. Are there others I have missed with surge brakes? I would also appreciate opinions regarding their functionality considering cost and use.

I am aware I have to consider weight of vehicle as well as front wheel or rear wheel drive. Three Grandsons and their families, plus daughter and us as users. Honda, Toyota, and Chrysler Vans and small Toyota Truck would be some of the vehicles. Since unlocking steering would be needed if dolly didn't steer probably ought to stick with steerable dollies. Put a magnetic lite set on the cars and can avoid wiring all the different vehicles for a once or twice a year use.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best dolley on the market is the Demco Kar Kaddy SS But it is also the most expensive. I have had one for 7 years and I did replace the tires because of born on date and I have adjusted the brakes twice. Shop around for price I got mine for about $1000 less than Demco wanted from a place in WIS.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Since unlocking steering would be needed if dolly didn't steer probably ought to stick with steerable dollies.
This statement is absolutely dangerously incorrect. You should NEVER tow on ANY dolly with the steering wheel not locked. If the steering wheel will not lock, it MUST be secured with a strap to prevent it from turning. If the towed car wheels turn very much (it doesn't take much on some dolly/car combos) you can get the dolly into the side of the car. Many (even "cheap" ones) dollies have a pivot bed that "steers" a bit. A "steerable" dolly is not a necessity unless you just want more bells and whistles. They all tow just fine.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

AFChap--If the dolly dolly doesn't steer and the wheels remained locked than there is stress put on the steering system of the car which will also translate into torque on the whole car. I can't believe that condition is towing just fine. Does one tow 4 down with the front wheels locked? Do you tow your Honda odyssey on a non steerable dolly with the front wheels locked? What am I missing?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I tow the Odyssey four down. I have towed a Maxima behind the mh on a standard pivot-bed dolly with steering locked. I have towed many different cars on u-haul dollys (which have pivot beds) over the years, ALWAYS with steering locked per the dolly mfg instruction. All towed fine, and no damage to the cars. The primary pivot is the hitch point. The pivot bed takes care of the rest. When a tow truck picks up a car by the front wheels, they too will lock the steering or tie a strap to the steering wheel. The wheels are close enough together that it does not put much stress on the car steering system. The car must stay straight with the dolly rather than turning independently of the dolly. I have never used a dolly with steerable wheels, but basically that allows more pivot than the pivot bed does, but still keeps the car straight with the dolly bed & fenders.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Fighter, I have a 2012 Landgrebe. It has 6000 miles on it with no issues including alignment or tire problems. I like the fact that while the fenders remain fixed, the tires steer. The steering feature can be locked or unlocked. It is very well built using thick tubular steel in an unconventional design which I believe to be stronger. The fenders are steel. The dolly is most likely heavier than others although I don't know that for sure. The components used are of top quality, Titan hitch and braking system, Dexter EZlube axle. The ratchets used on the tire straps are heavy duty. I guess you could say the whole thing is over built.

The problem is that they do not have dealers and are made in Valparaiso, Indiana so freight or pick up could add considerable expense to its final cost.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

AFchap, all your examples had a pivot bed which makes it possible to lock the steering without any damage to the car. I'm in agreement there with you. However the EZE tow doesn't have a pivot bed so I would think one should unlock the steering or risk damage. For that reason I guess I will pass on the EZE tow although there is one near me, two years old, never been used because owner had heart attack right after buying it and decided just now to sell it. 1/2 the price of a new one but lack of some sort of steering means I will pass on it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
This statement is absolutely dangerously incorrect. You should NEVER tow on ANY dolly with the steering wheel not locked. If the steering wheel will not lock, it MUST be secured with a strap to prevent it from turning. If the towed car wheels turn very much (it doesn't take much on some dolly/car combos) you can get the dolly into the side of the car. Many (even "cheap" ones) dollies have a pivot bed that "steers" a bit. A "steerable" dolly is not a necessity unless you just want more bells and whistles. They all tow just fine.
AFChap, your statements above are incorrect. I have an ACME EZE tow dolly and called the manufacturer directly about towing in neutral or in gear, and/or if I need to unlock the wheel. I was told that I should most definitely tow in neutral and that the wheel must be unlocked.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
BTW Fighterpilot, I tow a 2012 VW Passat. It tows and turns just fine. I have to watch it on my rear view camera to even know its there.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Asides from the dolly, I would be concerned about multiple families using the motorhome. YOu will find different levels of expertise and also the responsibility to care for the coach.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Asides from the dolly, I would be concerned about multiple families using the motorhome. YOu will find different levels of expertise and also the responsibility to care for the coach.

Ken

With a dolly the rules are unlocked on a non swivel dolly and locked on a swivel.

Now I was told put the car in Park, the logic of Neutral is that it will not tear up the trans if it falls off ......Well buddy the trans will be the last of your worries if the car comes off.

I have used tow bar, dolly, and car hauler. best is the tow bar, prefer the car hauler over a dolly because it can haul anything from a golf cart to a 1 ton truck, only problem is finding a place for it at the campground.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
AFChap, your statements above are incorrect. I have an ACME EZE tow dolly and called the manufacturer directly about towing in neutral or in gear, and/or if I need to unlock the wheel. I was told that I should most definitely tow in neutral and that the wheel must be unlocked.

I too have the ACME EZE tow dolly and do as the instruction say, tow in neutral and that the wheel must be unlocked. I have had no problems and would recommend this dolly to anyone. I tow a heavy car, 1993 Olds Cutlass Vert.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #13

With cars that one must have the switch on what about battery draw down? What do you folks do with the EZE tow?

The problem for me with a car hauler is that I would be exceeding my towing weight capability considering the added weight of the trailer. The coach GCVW is Ok but the hitch that was put on is limited. Could change the hitch I guess. Thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
With cars that one must have the switch on what about battery draw down? What do you folks do with the EZE tow?

The problem for me with a car hauler is that I would be exceeding my towing weight capability considering the added weight of the trailer. The coach GCVW is Ok but the hitch that was put on is limited. Could change the hitch I guess. Thanks
If the GCVW can carry it and the GAWR of the rear axle can handle the extra tongue weight then yes you should be able to put a better hitch on it, that is given the frame extentions (if equipped) are rated that high
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, dolly