Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Best tire brand for 2006 Chev Colorado PU

Getting ready to replace the tires on my 2006 Colorado for the second time. Original tires only lasted about 25,000 miles and the first replacement, B F Goodrich have lasted about 30,000 miles maybe 32,000 if I really stretch it.

Was wondering what brand of tires other Colorado owners might have had good luck with concerning a smooth quiet long lasting ride. Don't know about General, have had no luck in the past with Goodyear or Firestone, would like Michelin but haven't found any in my size. Tire shop has suggested Cooper Discoverer A/T3 but those didn't work very good on my 2001 Wrangler, wouldn't stay balanced.

Not too many choices for the P265/75/15 tires. Local tire shop is amazed why Chevrolet would have used such a scarce size tire.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Getting ready to replace the tires on my 2006 Colorado for the second time. Original tires only lasted about 25,000 miles and the first replacement, B F Goodrich have lasted about 30,000 miles maybe 32,000 if I really stretch it.

Was wondering what brand of tires other Colorado owners might have had good luck with concerning a smooth quiet long lasting ride. Don't know about General, have had no luck in the past with Goodyear or Firestone, would like Michelin but haven't found any in my size. Tire shop has suggested Cooper Discoverer A/T3 but those didn't work very good on my 2001 Wrangler, wouldn't stay balanced.

Not too many choices for the P265/75/15 tires. Local tire shop is amazed why Chevrolet would have used such a scarce size tire.
Well,
I've been running Hancook Dynapro All Terrains on three vehicles for the last couple of years and, so far, have great mileage on them, very quiet, minimal balance needs and, even in the off-road scenarios, they've done exceptionally well. Discount Tire is where I purchased them. You might inquire to see if they have your size and what kind of deal. Nice tires.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
I've been running Hancook Dynapro All Terrains on three vehicles for the last couple of years and, so far, have great mileage on them, very quiet, minimal balance needs and, even in the off-road scenarios, they've done exceptionally well. Discount Tire is where I purchased them. You might inquire to see if they have your size and what kind of deal. Nice tires.
Scott
Thanks Scott. I'll take a look at the Hancook. The local tire shop said not very many brands come in this odd size Chev used on the Colorado Z71 PU.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Thanks Scott. I'll take a look at the Hancook. The local tire shop said not very many brands come in this odd size Chev used on the Colorado Z71 PU.
Well,
This is kind-a like the tires that come/came on many, many Itasca and Winne 36' coaches of yours and and my model years. They are the Michelin PROPRIETARY 255 X 80R 22.5" tires. Pretty much NO OTHER BRAND has those 255 - 80R sized tires. So, not being one to let them (Michelin or, Itasca) dictate who's tires I can run, I just upped the ante a bit to the Yokohama 265 x 75 x 22.5" tires. Waaaaaaay cheaper, and an almost identical size. There's like a 1/4" difference in both directions of the dimensions. Big deal!

Now, here's just a suggestion. While spending more money on this project than maybe you'd like to, here's an idea. If you can't find the size tires you're looking for 'cause they're an odd size, maybe you can talk to your local tire shop and, see if you can find a nice set of aftermarket wheels that would accommodate a different sized set of tires but, end up with the same diameter and width. An example would be like going from a 16" wheel to a 17" wheel but, the tires that fit on 17" wheels are way more abundant.

The wheels you'd choose don't have to be ultra fancy, just functional. There's only a zillion wheels for the aftermarket side of things. Besides, you'd maybe "glitz" up your truck a bit AND, getting tires as a bonus. Just a thought.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #5

I may be staining at the nats and swallowing the camels here. This PU is 11 years old, I've owned it 9 years, only driven it 30,000 miles in that time, I like the mag wheels on it at this time, so maybe I should just take whatever tire the shop can easily get and forget worrying about it.
The only thing I would have against the Cooper tire is that the set i had on my previous Jeep Wrangler always needed re-balancing by the time they needed rotating. But since the shop will rotate and balance whenever I needed it maybe that's no big deal.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If an odd item tire size limits your choices, go with a same/similar alternative size.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #7

Using the original 15" wheels I'm finding there just isn't much to choose from. As Scott mentioned above, if i want any other choices I'll need to go to maybe a 16" set of wheels.

In the original 15" tire the only choices I've found are BFGoodrich (which now is a discontinued tire), Firestone & Goodyear (both of which I've never had very good luck with on past vehicles), Cooper (which wouldn't stay balanced on my previous Wrangler), and Toyo & General (which I've never used in the past nor know anything about them).

I only drive this 2006 Colorado PU about 3,000 miles per year but I still like a smooth riding quiet tire for those times.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check Tire Rack. You can put the info on your Colorado and they will give you the recommended sized tires for it. After having problems with Goodyear and other tires on my 88 Silverado and my 98 Yukon I switched to Michelins and haven't had any other problems.

www.tirerack.com

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #9

Brand shopping isn’t a good way to get tires, it’s more about the specific tire size, what you need the tire to do and your price point that needs to be considered.

An example, lets look at Michelin. I had a set of their pilot super sports on my last daily driver, awesome tire and they had a good long life with 15k miles of use, one of if not the best tire I have used. Put Michelin’s latitudes on my wrangler, it was by far the worst tire I have ever owned, simply scary on anything except a bone dry road. Also had numerous other tires from the company of different vehicles.

The same can be said about just about every tire company, they can make some great stuff or complete junk. Some state they had a certain brand of tire 10 Year’s ago with poor results thus they will not consider the brand today. Just look at car companies like Hyundai and Kia.. 10+ yrs ago vs today
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am on my 2nd set of these:
BFG LONG TRAIL TOUR P265/75R15 112T ROWL BFG P-METRIC TRUCK

My 2004 Canyon has 74000 miles on it. I have been happy with the tire performance.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I am on my 2nd set of these:
BFG LONG TRAIL TOUR P265/75R15 112T ROWL BFG P-METRIC TRUCK

My 2004 Canyon has 74000 miles on it. I have been happy with the tire performance.
I currently have the BFG LT AT which I put on at 25,000 after purchasing the PU the previous year. Not sure what the original tire was but it was worn down enough I didn't feel safe driving the interstate between home and the wife's home town at 75 MPH. The BFG tire now has performed fine except now at 55,000 miles the tread is down to 5/32 and 8 years old and I don't feel good driving the Intestate. 4/32 is about as low as I like to run a tire for highway usage. Seems 30,000 miles is just a smidgen low miles for a modern day tire when many of the ads show mileage of 55,000-65,000. Have no idea what kind of warranty they supply with their mileage ads.

The tire shop manager said my BFG tire is discontinued and since I wasn't too happy with my current tire guess he didn't recommend the BFG Tour to me. May have to talk to him again.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen, I know of a great set of tires, they come attached to a 2018 Chevrolet Colorado. You can even buy the truck in a color to match the Dutch Star.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #13

Great idea Don, but we just bought a new Jeep Wrangler to match the Black color on our DS last April. Was a toss up at that time between replacing our 2001 Wrangler and the 2006 Colorado. The Wrangler won.

Tags
colorado