Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #15

My best: jeep wrangler unlimited, roadmaster blackhawk 10,000 tow bar, Smi toad braking system. All quick and easy to hook up. All last really well.
Ed and Barb
2007 fr georgetown xl
2013 jeep Wrangler unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #16
Community Moderator

hmmm... don't know the best, but know which one works... no doubt jeep is good, but since i don't do off road although hiking, the honda fit makes a perfect fit for me. it's light, spacious and versatile in cargo area, no mods and low costs. i got unbelievable gas mileage between gas fill-ups mostly local, i got 31 mpg while on highway i saw 36-39 mpg. when towed behind, i even didn't feel it thanks to backup camera so i knew it's there.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
hmmm... don't know the best, but know which one works... no doubt jeep is good, but since i don't do off road although hiking, the honda fit makes a perfect fit for me. it's light, spacious and versatile in cargo area, no mods and low costs. i got unbelievable gas mileage between gas fill-ups mostly local, i got 31 mpg while on highway i saw 36-39 mpg. when towed behind, i even didn't feel it thanks to backup camera so i knew it's there.
I wanted a Wrangler. Price's are crazy high even for old ones. When my 6 foot 4 inch Brother in law got in the back seat with front seats all the way back without his knees touching the seat in front or head touching the headliner. All of that room and still be able to load a bunch of stuff behind and under the seats.

32 mpg adds up too more Diesel.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on Subaru. I have an Impreza, manual trans, don't even know it's back there. I don't off-road, so can't speak to that but for good all around transportation you can't beat the Subie.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We actually tow a 2012 VW Passat TDI on a Demco KarKaddy III. Hardly know it's back there and it's a nice ride.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
I wanted a Wrangler. Price's are crazy high even for old ones. When my 6 foot 4 inch Brother in law got in the back seat with front seats all the way back without his knees touching the seat in front or head touching the headliner. All of that room and still be able to load a bunch of stuff behind and under the seats.

32 mpg adds up too more Diesel.
making sense... for large frame ones, jeep is the way to go. that is probably one of reasons that so many people prefer jeep to others, driving the price even in used car market high... whichever works for individuals (there is no way to tell which one is "the best" in common ground), go for it and enjoy rving.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Subaru outback Manual tranny

1) It costs far less than a jeep.
2) It's all wheel drive.
3) the ground clearance is only about 2 inches shy of a stock jeep
4) it's light (3000 lbs)
5) it's cheap to insure (i pay 87 a month full coverage)
6) everything maint wise is a snap, and inexpensive.
7) it's a lot of fun to drive!
8) I get 24 MPG in town 33 on the highway - WITH my yakima rack on top.
9) hitching and towing is a snap, plus the ignition has a tow position just before off.
10) the subie has as much room in the back as my range rover did, hard to believe but true.
11) I picked up my 2010 for under 16k and I would take just about any place I would take a stock jeep. but I'm also not hardcore off roader, and even in a jeep, I'd be too nervous to rock climb in the thing
12) they look snnaazzzyyy
13) It's zippy as all get out, and corners like crazy.

I'm not sure why the subie isn't on the "norm" list like the CR-V, which seems like a hassle to me to tow if I have to stop every 300 miles and turn it on, and run it through gears, no spanks. I think Subaru makes an awesome car, and I didn't think that way until I bought one specifically for towing and it met my other criteria. After owning it for a while now, I totally understand why subaru nuts are subaru nuts
We have had quite a few Subarus for our daily drivers and since we liked them so much we considered one for our toad. It is next to impossible to find one with a manual! And if you do find one, they are base models and if you use it for anything other than a toad, you will regret it. Not to mention Subarus aren't what they use to be, sad but true.

We never had a Jeep before, but we ended up going with a Jeep Wrangler. There are no limitations and it is simple to get them tow worthy. No fuses to pull, not speed/mileage limitations, etc. Which is the reason you see so many of them on the road!

Download the Dingy Tow Guide and it will give you a lot of options and which ones require a lot more effort to tow.

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...yGuide2013.pdf
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
We have had quite a few Subarus for our daily drivers and since we liked them so much we considered one for our toad. It is next to impossible to find one with a manual! And if you do find one, they are base models and if you use it for anything other than a toad, you will regret it. Not to mention Subarus aren't what they use to be, sad but true.

We never had a Jeep before, but we ended up going with a Jeep Wrangler. There are no limitations and it is simple to get them tow worthy. No fuses to pull, not speed/mileage limitations, etc. Which is the reason you see so many of them on the road!

Download the Dingy Tow Guide and it will give you a lot of options and which ones require a lot more effort to tow.

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...yGuide2013.pdf
Agree that the manuals are somewhat rare, but we love our base model. It does everything we want. Also this is the only car we own. Great grocery getter, but I was also super happy to save money in exchange for bells I won't use. So for us it was no biggie. A car is the last place I want to sink money in these days. But this is a very personal choice.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also it's important to know that our requirements were to have a specific amount of cargo space at around 65 cubic feet.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I tow a Buick Enclave CLX, you can tow flat with out any extra equipment but a tow bar and base plate. I have a Blue Ox system but their are a lot of great equipment out there. You run the buick for 5 minutes before you take off on a trip, place in neutral with the key on acc 1 , the only other thing you must remove Bat 1 fuse in the fuse box under hood very easy , I tried towing without removing fuse killed the battery, always got to fight the system. Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Subaru outback Manual tranny 1) It costs far less than a jeep. 2) It's all wheel drive. 3) the ground clearance is only about 2 inches shy of a stock jeep 4) it's light (3000 lbs) 5) it's cheap to insure (i pay 87 a month full coverage) 6) everything maint wise is a snap, and inexpensive. 7) it's a lot of fun to drive! 8) I get 24 MPG in town 33 on the highway - WITH my yakima rack on top. 9) hitching and towing is a snap, plus the ignition has a tow position just before off. 10) the subie has as much room in the back as my range rover did, hard to believe but true. 11) I picked up my 2010 for under 16k and I would take just about any place I would take a stock jeep. but I'm also not hardcore off roader, and even in a jeep, I'd be too nervous to rock climb in the thing 12) they look snnaazzzyyy 13) It's zippy as all get out, and corners like crazy. I'm not sure why the subie isn't on the "norm" list like the CR-V, which seems like a hassle to me to tow if I have to stop every 300 miles and turn it on, and run it through gears, no spanks. I think Subaru makes an awesome car, and I didn't think that way until I bought one specifically for towing and it met my other criteria. After owning it for a while now, I totally understand why subaru nuts are subaru nuts
X2 for a 2013 Outback Manual Transmission 6 speed box. Cost me $23k new drive away no more to pay
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #26

I am having a Newmar Ventana built which should be ready at the end of the month. I looked at a lot of different options for toads. I ended up buying the Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited on 12-31-13. I also have a Denali that I can't tow. I have had fun driving the Jeep and am now selling my Denali. I tried the Jeep Rubicon but the Sahara was a lot smoother of a ride and I won't get that crazy off-roading.
umcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
We went with a Fiat Abarth to tow 4 down. We have a Blue Ox base plate, no one else makes them yet for the Abarth's, and a Blue Ox tow bar. As for breaking system, Thom is going to get the Air Force One.

As for towing guides look up on the internet for a "Dinghy Guide" that is usually what is on the cover. Motorhome Magazine has the current year for free and you do not have to join them. The past years are $1 or they were last I looked.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
The Honda Fit makes for a great Toad. We have a 2013 and I just finished installing the base plate. There are 5 sub-systems to consider for towing 4 down. 1. Baseplate. 2. Towbar, 3. Tow Lights, 4. Supplemental Braking system. 5 Emergency Break Away system. For my setup I dropped about 1600 on the entire setup with my own labor. Roadmaster - Base Plate, Tow bar, Brakemaster with Emergency break away and TrailerMate tow lighting.
What are the manual rules for towing this 4 down? Also, I'm assuming it's an AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
A Miata, you can drive as fast as you want it will keep up with you

It's a fun car when you get where you're going.

Have you got an AT in yours? If so, what's the manual's steps for towing?
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads