Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #29

I have to say buy Ford, GM, or Chrysler

I tow a Ford Mustang convertible with a drive shaft disconnect. But wife hates getting in and out and the ride. I think I want to change to a GM Terrain/ Equinox/ Saturn Vue. or Mercury Mariner / Escape or maybe even a Ford Edge.
Buy American and save jobs for your kids. The job you save might be your own. No I won't buy a right to work state made in USA (anti union, WAGE SUPPRESSING) made foreign car either.

inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
The Subaru Outback toad I bought last year was assembled in The USA
So without being flamed id say I bought American.
I have 4 Subaru's in Australia however but these are fully imported from Japan.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #31

Not for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
The Subaru Outback toad I bought last year was assembled in The USA
So without being flamed id say I bought American.
I have 4 Subaru's in Australia however but these are fully imported from Japan.
Assembled in USA but where did the parts come from, assembled by non union employees in a right to work state and all the profits left the country increasing our trade deficit. Just can't do imports. Have you heard of domestic content?
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:12 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector8 View Post
Assembled in USA but where did the parts come from, assembled by non union employees in a right to work state and all the profits left the country increasing our trade deficit. Just can't do imports. Have you heard of domestic content?
You may have read that GM are pulling out of Australia leaving us with just one plant - Toyota
Because of our high dollar and wages we can't compete with China.
Toyota are currently weighing up their options but they will leave also.
I am not familiar with the labour laws in USA but we pay a base of over $20 per hr with time and a half and double time.
I think the ratio is $120 per day in Aus and $120 per month in China.
I'll be in the USA end march and will export a Kitchenmaid product to Aus - they are less than half what we pay here.
I think I got off the subject - please excuse me
Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #33

2013 Honda CRV AWD:

US/Canadian parts 65%
Japan 15%

Similar for Toyota and Subaru
Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
No vehicle is wholly made and assembled in America. None. Not even Harley bikes are wholly American anymore.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #35

From what we have seen Jeeps are most popular followed by Honda CRV
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The reason a lot of foreign branded vehicles are made in the us is to insulate them from currency fluctuations.

The perception that a foreign branded car is largely US made is misleading. Engineering and product R&D is still done in Asia for foerign branded vehicles. US branded vehicle manufacturers invest billions more in the US economy and create a whole lot more jobs compared with foreign branded vehicle companies.

A lot of these facts state that X percentage are US/Canadian made. Those facts dont state where the other Y percentage comes from. Example, Ford gets some parts from Europe (ex. some Ecoboost engines come from Spain). Another example, the Jeep is 79% US/Canadian with transmissions coming from Germany.

Do your research. As a example I know that Jeep and Ford create more US jobs and source far less parts from China compared with Toyota, Honda, etc.

Today foreign and us branded cars are just as reliable. They source similar parts and sometimes share assembly lines. A lot of factors play a role in perceived reliability.

The less we source from China the better off the US and economy will be.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a Dodge Dakota 4x4 as we can use the bed to have our ATV or scooter or canoe.
We use a Blue Ox tow bar, and wired lights. No aux brake.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to drive only Toyotas. I loved my 2010 Tundra, and my DW has a Venza that she enjoys. Last June, when we bought the motorhome, we bought a 2013 Honda CR-V to tow four down, as we heard over and over how popular it was as a toad. It was the worst car I've ever owned. It was underpowered and had the hardest car seats I've ever sat in. Long trips in it were torture. In November, while parked in front of our house, the neighbor lady managed to hit it, causing thousands of dollars in damages. It only had 5000 miles on it. The diminished value was sizable, giving us the opportunity to look at other possible toads.

Our toad also has to serve as my daily driver. I commute 28 miles each way every day, so comfort and safety are high on my list. And although gas mileage is a concern, my bigger concern is driving on the interstate five days a week.

I drove the 4 cylinder version of the Chevrolet Equinox, and although we liked the amenities and price, it, too, was underpowered and I didn't like the suspension or handling. I was very impressed, however, with the overall quality improvement since my partner had her 2000 Impala. The fit and finish, layout and easy to intuit controls are all excellent. The Jeep Compass was also underpowered, and the ride was similar to the Honda. Our Chevy dealer did a dealer trade for me to be able to test drive a V6 Equinox. He got the color, trim package and dealer installed options I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. We drove home our new ride.

I am proud to have bought a domestic brand, but it was manufactured in Canada. The V6 version has a better ride due to an upgraded suspension and wheels. It has plenty of power, and I am quite pleased with it. It has tons of room, including the rear, and the leather upholstery is stylish and comfortable. Combined with OnStar, my Chevrolet app for iPhone and the Remote Link, it's the perfect car for us. We are having the baseplate installed next month.

Your mileage will vary, of course, as we all have different priorities. I hope you find the perfect car for you!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #39

Mid Atlantic Campers
Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2010 Set up to tow

Check out the classifieds I have a Jeep 2010 Sahara Unlimited all ready set up to two for sale!!!! 6 speed stick LOADED!!!

Pameridan04
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
A Miata, you can drive as fast as you want it will keep up with you
No doubt!
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #41

We tow a Chevy Colorado 4x4. The four wheel drive has a neutral position that allows you to tow with the vehicle turned off and the transmission in park. Ready Brute tow bar with surge brake and magnetic tow lights. Simple setup and works great
Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #42

If you want something other than a Jeep or a stick shift car, be sure to look at all the towing limitations like speed, distance and what needs to be disconnected or modified. Some GM cars can only be towed at 65MPH and then need to be run every so many hours. Many Fords can be towed at 70 but need the battery disconnected. There are a lot of plus and minus to all. The Jeeps are easy if you are satisfied driving one when you get somewhere.

Tags
toad, toads