Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #43

Chevy Sonic hatch. Manual

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4.

jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #45

Ford Escape Hybrid (CVT transmission) with Blue Ox tow bar and Air Force One braking system. No fuses to pull... No transmission issues to worry about. Just hook up connections, put in key, turn key/foot on brake to put into neutral, turn key off but leave in and you are ready to go.

2012 was the last year of Escape Hybrid.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:15 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Ford Escape Hybrid (CVT transmission) with Blue Ox tow bar and Air Force One braking system. No fuses to pull... No transmission issues to worry about. Just hook up connections, put in key, turn key/foot on brake to put into neutral, turn key off but leave in and you are ready to go.

2012 was the last year of Escape Hybrid.
How do you like the configurable cargo options in back?
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post

How do you like the configurable cargo options in back?
We have the 60/40 foldable split in the back seat and it works well for us. Only thing we don't like is having to pull off the back seat headrests to folks it down, but this is quick to do.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by szn8tt View Post
Chevy Sonic hatch. Manual
Chevy Sonic, Sedan, Automatic, 1.8L - pull DLIS fuse when towing.
We are too old to be gear jamming a manual so the auto with 1.8L is 4 down towable.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
We recently bought a new car to replace our beloved old 1997 VW Cabrio Convertible which had become unreliable.

We researched all the available convertibles on the market, hoping we could still have one, but ALL the available american convertibles require towing with ALL wheels up on a trailer! Depending on the car there are ways around this, like installing a pump to circulate transmission fluid. But what happens if a fuse blows on the pump or the plug vibrates out while you travel? (You have to buy a New Transmission is what happens!)

Here is a link to a popular buying guide for toads: http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...yGuide2013.pdf

This list only includes cars whose manufacturers SUPPORT and APPROVE of towing in this manner and include what restrictions the manufacturer places on such towing. We bought a 2014 Chevy Equinox because it's on this list. Chevy says you have to keep the speed below 65 MPH to ensure the transmission is lubricated, and that you should run the engine at each fuel stop. (both these conditions are very common)

I have a lot of peace of mind knowing that Chevy has tested my vehicle and certifies that it will be ok if I follow the restrictions. (I don't drive my RV faster than 65...it's death if you get a blowout.) I also like the fact that if I follow their instructions I don't void my powertrain warranty.

A lot of the GM and Ford crossover SUV's are on this list. The Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia is a good choice if you want a bigger SUV. GM trucks with 4WD and a transfer case are also on the list if you want a truck.

The list hasn't been updated for 2014, but we were able to quickly verify that our '14 Equinox was OK by just reading the owner's manual before buying.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #50

We bought a 2005 PT Cruiser (5 speed manual) Convertible for a toad. Mostly because we were coming out of an F350/5th Wheel. I loved having the truck, but didn't like spending $100+/week driving to work. And wearing out an expensive truck just driving to work. The PT gets me near 30 MPG daily driving and gives me great vues driving around in my Smoky MTNs. Beside that, it isn't much of a car. OK ride, long way to get up out of, but very easy to set up and tow. It won't set your hair on fire, but its as close to a streetrod as I'll ever get. Hopefully as I age, it won't get to hard to drive. We bought an 06 Saturn Vue to maybe use as a toad someday, but my wife has given it to our daughter. Again, its just basic transportation.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #51

Wink Mustang convertible

[QUOTE=tricotec;1915081]We recently bought a new car to replace our beloved old 1997 VW Cabrio Convertible which had become unreliable.

We researched all the available convertibles on the market, hoping we could still have one, but ALL the available american convertibles require towing with ALL wheels up on a trailer! Depending on the car there are ways around this, like installing a pump to circulate transmission fluid. But what happens if a fuse blows on the pump or the plug vibrates out while you travel? (You have to buy a New Transmission is what happens!)

I used to tow a 2000 Mustang convertible with a drive shaft disconnect. I bought the disconnect ( by Remco ) on craigslist and sold it again on craigslist. Wife couldn't ride or get in Mustang anymore and it was small. I'm setting up to tow a 2008 Lincoln MKX.

I say buy a Mustang if you want a convertible.
inspector8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BEST TOWED: Four wheel drive JEEP with manual transfer case. Your choice of model.. Source.. Car and Driver's "Bang for the Buck" contest (Jeep often wins,, Lots of bang, (Jeeps are way more fun than say a Mustang or Corvette) and not nearly as many bucks either.

Also the 4WD jeep with manual transfer is one of the easiest to "Make towable" (Put transfer case in neutral) do check the owner's manual though, It actually has a section on "Recretional towing" (Towing jeep by an RV) only maker I know that does that.

What is needed

Tow bars and base plate
Brake system
Lights

There are several diode based light harnesses for use with either any vehicle or specifically for make and model (Assorted)

I use an Add-a-lamp type system on my Jeep (That is a Blue Ox product but mine was made by another company, name is descriptive, this will not fit on all vehicles).

Brakes and tow bar... IF you tow often, Ready brute with Ready brake is a tow bar and brake system in one.. IF you live in the great salted north and take the winter off.. NOT the best choice

US-Gear (Your choice of tow bars) is the most flexible braking system I know of, gives a properly trained driver more control over towed brakes than any other system made.

M&G air system fits most JEEPS if you have air brakes on the motor home

And several other systems are out there,, ALL of the above named systems are invisible to a driver of the towed when it's in "Car" mode.

Brake Buddy, Apolo, Even brake and other "Box in the Driver's seat" are good if you tow an assortent of towed's but I do not recommend them if you have only a single towed.. Too much work, too easy to "Oh forget it" for a short trip.

Tow bars part 2: I think it is roadmaster, Many systems stow on the towed so when you "Drop the towed" and drive it to Outback for dinner you have this big ugly assembly on the front.

They also make (As do most other companies) tow bar systems that "Stow" on the motor home, so all that remains on the towed is the base plate.. I prefer that system.> Which is best? I'm not sure there is a best, they all seem to be close in quality and both Roadmaster and Blue-Ox have good customer service,, I use a Blue-Ox myself.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #53

Class Super "C" Wanting to Tow a Toad

I have a Question as to Towing a Honda Pilot behind Class Super "C" 5500 Chev.
Has any one had this configuration?
Thanks
DW
Old 06-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #54

[QUOTE=inspector8;2055879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post

I say buy a Mustang if you want a convertible.
Good idea. But the 2005 and later manuals can't be towed. I don't know if anyone makes a driveshaft disconnect for them or not. I think Blue Ox makes a baseplate for it, so there must be some sort of workaround.

My Chrysler was built in Mexico 8>0
GlenninTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
A lot of discussion here is mentioning manual transmissions. Well almost any manual can be towed - pick one.

But if you need an automatic, and my wife says we need an automatic, then the choices become limited. Not too many (Jeep, CRV, Chevy Equinox, and a few others) can be towed 4-down without mods. A pump for the transmission fluid (see Remco) ups the number of choices a bit.

So keep in mind -- do you want to shift or not?
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best towed: A 4wd Jeep with a MANUAL transfer case.. Either Car and Driver or Road and Track does a "Bang for the Buck" competition where they rate how much FUN a vehicle is divided by the cost and Jeep usually wins. for obvious reasons (Try to take a Mustang where jeeps thrive and you are gonna need a jeep to tow you out).

However there are many others.. If you have a car in mind you like go to the Remco Towing web site and run it through the tool there to see what is needed to tow ti.. NOTE: They do recommend their own product where tow bar and brake are concerned, feel free to ignore that but you are looking for "lube Pump" or "Axle Lock" or "Drive Shaft Disconnect" if they recommend one of those.. You might want to try a different towed. (or not, I use a lube pump).

Tow bars: Ready brute can be obtained with the Ready Brake, this is a surge brake system that fits with my policy of KISS, however if you park for the winter and just drive the towed in the great salted north... Come spring the car half of the cable may have sized up on you.. Kind of like a parking brake cable will if it's not used often,, in fact EXACTLY like said parking brake cable will. Must be used or it sizes.

Blue Ox now also has the "Auto Stop", basically the same thing, at one time they had a tow bar with it, same tow bar I use (But mine does not have it) I really like my tow bar.

Other makes of tow bars: Some models (Some Roadmasters for example) "Stow" on the towed when you are camping, I do not like those, others (including other Roadmaster models) stow on the motor home. Like my Blue Ox.. I love those. There are at least 4 brands and near as I can tell not much to recommend one over another.

Brakes other than surge brakes: IF motor home has Air Brakes and there is room for it on the towed.. M&G This is an air over hydraulic system, Powered by the motor home's air brakes, uses no electricicy.

Other systems can be used on most any motor home Air brakes or not. (The M&G can be used on non-air brake Motor homes too but requires you install a compressor on the MH).

US-gear unified brake decelerator: The most control over the towed brakes of ANY system, allowing you to adjust the gain, (Ratio of motor home to towed brakes) set the towed brakes or, disable them (Set gain to zero) Eats battery power but provides for a charge for the towed, I used one on my first towed.

Invisible Brake, features basically NO hook up save for safety cable.
Also provides power for the towed from the MH.

These systems are 100% transparent to the driver of the car, Basically you hook up a safety cable and make one other connection (For Invisible brake it's the towed light connector) either air or electric.

Several other systems also fall into the above category

Then there are some that have a piston usually stowed under the driver's seat you pull out pin in place and hook to the brake pedal...

These are good systems, but .. there is that extra step of hooking up the pedal pusher.

Finally there are Brake in a box systems... These fit in front of the driver's seat and must be INSTALLED Every time you tow and removed when you unhook.. That is way too much bother for me and thus I do not recommend them.

Tags
toad, toads