Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #15

+1 on the Readybrute Elite... simpler aux braking, breakaway setup and way cheaper too. I installed pilot lights for the surge brake and the brakes on the tow, so I know which brake system is being activated.

The painful part is running the 2 wires from the rear/front dash of the MH. After that... the system just works.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I rigged up an LED that is attached directly to the brake pedal so that I can be aware of when the brakes are applied and released. It lays on the dash and I monitor it through the rear view camera. I don't worry about it so much anymore, since its trouble free and does what it's supposed to.

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is like asking what toilet paper is best... the one you need and is available at the moment. All of them have plus and minus. Price usually plays a part. Do you want the base plate to show or be hidden. Wish I'd known about the ready-Brute when I bought my blue ox. But the blue ox has served us well for over 50,000 miles. They rebuit it once at the Tampa super show for 25 bucks. ....safe travels...ed
Old 07-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #18

I have a Demco rated at 10500# all stainless steel. I have been happy with this model. I would suggest getting the highest weight rating you can find if you are pulling a full size pickup truck. The only downside to a tow bar with a high towing capacity is it will probably cost slightly more and be heaver than a lower rated tow bar. Look on the internet there are a lot of merchants out there that want your business, and have very good pricing.
Don't risk getting a used tow bar, read this site and you can read the experiences of people who have had tow bars break.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Young View Post
I have a Demco rated at 10500# all stainless steel. I have been happy with this model. I would suggest getting the highest weight rating you can find if you are pulling a full size pickup truck. The only downside to a tow bar with a high towing capacity is it will probably cost slightly more and be heaver than a lower rated tow bar. Look on the internet there are a lot of merchants out there that want your business, and have very good pricing.
Don't risk getting a used tow bar, read this site and you can read the experiences of people who have had tow bars break.
I use the BlueOx Aventa 10,000 Lb. tow bar. It is easy to hook up and easy to service (I do an annual clean & inspect).
I agree with Larry about buying a used assembly. What you save up front may come back to haunt you when you least want or expect it. IMHO
Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have the Blackhawk 2 All Terrain 10,000 pound rating and I tow a Dodge Ram Mega Cab. I have the Air Force 1 breaking system and the both work great. The adjustable arms for the tow bar work really well on uneven ground. I like the ball pivot point, because it adjusts to any angle. Break system needed to be professionally installed but once in it works fantastic. As others have said, stay away from used tow bars, because who knows what the previous owner did to them? Good luck with your purchase.
08 Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #21

Think you will do well with any of the name brand hitches--just match load to bar specs. I wouldnt buy used unless I knew the owner. Short of x-raying for cracks and fatigue, you have no idea what you are getting--except that it was "cheaper." Most of the name brand hitch companies stand by their products if you are the original owner. I'll buy used on many things but this aint one of them. Good luck on your search for the "best" hitch.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake is the best thing out there in my opinion. Rated at 8000 lbs, simple to install, very effective braking, and HUNDREDS of dollars less than anything else I could find! JMHO.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote