Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Best Tow Bar??

I all,
New owner of a Class A (possible). What is your opinion about the best tow bar behind the bus to pull a 4WD chevy truck?

I do know that I want one that has adjustable arms in case I don't pull the vehicle up in a 'just right' position.

Only names I've seen kicked around are:Blue Ox or Roadmaster.
Thanks,

DW

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My vote is for Ready Brute tow/brake system. 8k lb tow bar with surge brake integrated. We have about 30k miles and three years of trouble free operation towing a '11 GMC crew cab 1/2ton. Wouldn't use anything else. Good luck

sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both are good units. Friend bought a refurb Blue Ox at a rally. I bought a RoadMaster unit. The RoadMaster factory was about 20 miles from home, now they've moved and are closer.
I've seen a few pictures of broken Blue Ox bars here on the forum and none of RoadMaster.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

I have a Blue Ox, made mostly of aluminum and rated to 5000 lbs, that I used with a Jeep Liberty. Got mine used on ebay for about 1/2 cost of new at the time. The toad weighed about 4000lbs. We sold the Jeep and are looking at a new smaller toad. Never had any trouble. With your toad make sure of the tow bar rating weight wise. And, of you are going to leave your tow bar attached to the MH for any length of time buy a locking hitch pin and a cover to protect it.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with Sparky, ReadyBrute Elite is hard to beat! But really, any tow bar is probably good enough as long as it's rated for the load you plan on using it for. But after reviewing what was available, I went with the ReadyBrute.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
My vote is for Ready Brute tow/brake system. 8k lb tow bar with surge brake integrated. We have about 30k miles and three years of trouble free operation towing a '11 GMC crew cab 1/2ton. Wouldn't use anything else. Good luck
Thanks for the reply. What advantage does the "surge brake integrated" feature serve?

Doug
Old 07-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a mechanical system, no electronics to fail or run down your battery in towed. Simple 5 to 10 minute hook-up after initial install. Two cables, umbilical light cord, safety cables and your ready to travel. I did my own install, easy routing of cables.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #8

Mine is the best. That's what you get when you ask which is best on a forum.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #9

We've used the Roadmaster Sterling to tow our Jeep over 80,000 miles. The Sterling is the forerunner to the Sterling All Terrain. Depending on how heavy your truck is you could use either the Sterling All Terrain or the Blackhawk 2 All Terrain. The advantage of the Sterling over the Blackhawk 2 is it has built in channels to run the safety cables and wiring harness through. It's aluminum and rated for 6,000 lbs. The Blackhawk 2 All Terrain is steel and rated for 10,000 lbs

Both the Blackhawk 2 All Terrain and the Sterling All Terrain have locking mechanisms that make it easier to connect/disconnect when the towed vehicle is at an angle to or different elevation than than the motorhome. Since the Srerling is made of aluminum it's considerably lighter.

When it comes time to replace our current tow bar the new one will be a Sterling All Terrain
Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue OX makes 3 tow bars plus a few other options (Like an "A-Frame" one) Different models have different ratings and a heavy car can easily crush the lighter bars. My Ox is a 5 ton job (10,000 pounds) my hitch, half that.

Ready Brute is one you might look at,,, With the Ready Brake,, Why,, Well you need brakes so why not put it all in one device?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Watch Craigslist for used units - any of the name brands will serve well. I have a BO bought this way for a couple hundred bucks. A bit of cleanup abd refurb - good to go.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #12

Has anyone tried the BlueOx Autostop brake? You can get it in a kit that replaces the receiver shank of the Aventa and Alpha towbars. I prefer a steel towbar and the Alpha is rated for 6500# which well above my toad weight. Alpha towbar + Autostop kit can be had for ~$800 total which is considerably less than the ReadyBrute towbar\brake combo. Seriously considering but would like to hear from anyone using it.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #13

Also watch eBay, as I bought my Roadmaster at less than half retail. I don't think it had ever been used.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Ready Brute Elite with Ready Brake and Blue Ox mounting plate. Once installed flawless performance. Easy 2 minute hookup. I tow my 2013 Ford F150 4x4. I googled reviews on this tow bar. Couldn't find one complaint. No fussy set up of added brake system in truck.