Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

best tow-bars

I'm on the verge of getting a tow bar for my 38' diesel pusher.I will be towing an equinox.Can anyone suggest a resonable priced tow system.I appreciate any help.I want to tow flat and I undertand I can do the equinox with little trouble.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

I was recently in your position and narrowed my search down to the Blue Ox Aventa LX. I tow a 2011 Suburban and needed a higher capacity but all-in-all its a great tow bar that many people use.

I looked on Craigslist and luckily found one that was purchased 1 year ago and used a few times. It looks like it was right out of the box and i paid $275 with 10k lb cables, triple lock set and 6 pin power cord.

Look around, you might get lucky too.

Sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have the baseplate installed already and a brake system then I would suggest looking for used as well----if you do not then it is not going to be cheap. I prefer Blue OX but look at what is out there-----there is a surge brake plus tow bar set up called Brake-Buddy? I think---that seemed reasonable new you might look at it-------you should get a lot of comment here, and a lot of suggestions---so just hang in there a while.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
If you have the baseplate installed already and a brake system then I would suggest looking for used as well----if you do not then it is not going to be cheap. I prefer Blue OX but look at what is out there-----there is a surge brake plus tow bar set up called Brake-Buddy? I think---that seemed reasonable new you might look at it-------you should get a lot of comment here, and a lot of suggestions---so just hang in there a while.

I looked up the tow bar I refered to it is Ready Brake----combo with braking, less expensive than adding a seperate braking unit I think.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

Good choice on the Equinox. I pull a 2010 Equinox using a Blue Ox tow bar and I think the model is the "Aladdin". It is aluminum, very light and attaches and releases really easy. I found a refurbished one on-line and paid much less than the local RV supply store wanted. I had the Blue Ox base plate attached to the Equinox by a local shop that does that sort of thing.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #6

Remember that not all tow bars fit all baseplates. You'll probably want brakes for your toad also which can be accomplished several ways also. Used appears to be a good bargain but be aware that you may or may not get a "lightly used" unit. How would you know? My brake buddy looks like new. You can't tell if it rode 3000 miles or 100,000 miles inside my toad.

I liked the baseplate/towbar package so I knew everything worked together as designed without "adapters" new, so I knew there were no broken springs inside, bent bars, etc. (I bought the Falcon 2)

Ken
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Base plates are expensive and not likely to be found used unless yu buy a car that already has them. Tow bars can be cheap or expensive - its a tradeoff of ease of use vs price. Used ones are often available.

Toad brakes are pricey but very important (in my estimation). Used ones can be found.

Older Equinox are not towable without expensive mods. Check the Remco towing application charts if you are thinking of buying a used Equinox.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #8

I cewrtainly appreciate everyone response.I have dcided to go with the Blueox w/plate.See evryone one the road.I'll have the biggest smile
Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My first Blue Ox was "blemished", saved me some money---it looked new----preformed flawlessly.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have looked at both Blue Ox and Roaddmaster,, Both are top quality systems, I used a blue ox when I had a towed, and found their customer support to be first rate too, Have heard things about Roadmaster which makes me thing theirs is also right up there.

My recommendations: Take a good look at both systems, Decide which one you like best.. My Bule OX is self-storing, stores on the motor home.. Very nice,, I've seen some roadmaster that area lso self-storing but on the towed. Decide which you like best..

Or just go with what your dealer sells.. Truthfully, save for the stowage, it's six/half dozen.