Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
We went with the EZTow dolly one year ago and so far love it. Really simple to use and the surge brake system is just perfect. We just went over 4K miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1344.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	116244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	116245  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1348.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	116246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	116247  

KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #16

I have a stupid question.......... :(

Can you back up with a tow dolly ???

Old 01-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladog View Post

I have backed over 30ft successfully with our KK. Straight back, everything inline!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:

In theory yes, but it is difficult to see when you do and once the dolly starts turning it is impossible to correct due to the motorhome length. With surge brakes, there is a piece that is attached to the hitch to disable the brakes and allow you to back up. I have backed up several feet, but backing into a camp site is not something I would attempt.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Tom-BC said;
Surge brakes only work when you stop short or fast as the towed vehicle tries to catch up with RV. There is no adjustment on it.

That is wrong. You need to do some homework or try surge brakes yourself.

Surge brakes are self appling by the same thing as electric brakes, inertia.

Electric brakes push a pendulum against a resistor and surge brakes push against the hitch.

When you let off the gas, the dolly pushes on the hitch. The harder it pushes the more brake it applies. As it applies more brake, it pushes less on the hitch, constantly adjusting its application as you smoothly stop.

To the OP.

An Acme dolly is light and can be stood up, due to its removable ramps.

Others have built in ramps. Simple to use but bulkier.
This may have been a common system 40 years ago, but today it's only used on the cheapest controllers. The Tekonsha P3 uses a electronic decelerometer to determine when the vehicle combination is decelerating. It also uses a signal from the brake light switch to determine whether or not to apply the trailer brakes.

As for a choice in dollies we used a Roadmaster 2000-1 for several years when towing our Buick LeSabre. It was a great dolly and virtually trouble free. The upside (other than those already mentioned) is that with steerable wheels it will follow directly in the path of the rear wheels of the motorhome.

The downside is that it is heavy and is an additional piece of equipment to be stored when not in use.

When we started towing a Jeep Wrangler 4 down we sold the dolly to a friend who used it to tow a Fiat 500. The car had so many problems they traded it off for a Chevy in less than 2 years. They still have the dolly, but now use it to tow the Chevy.

As for ease of use, I don't see much difference between towing 4 down and using a dolly. It takes about the same amount of time and effort to do either.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
Depends on your definition of "BEST". For me it is the "Kar Kaddy SS"

A very robust design compared to most others out there.

Kar Kaddy SS | Demco Products

Was checking this dolly out at the Tampa RV show.......... REALLY well built unit with lots of nice features. I think this may be the way we roll when the time comes.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Was checking this dolly out at the Tampa RV show.......... REALLY well built unit with lots of nice features. I think this may be the way we roll when the time comes.
Found my best deal on this dolly from the guys below. All good as long as you don't mind handling a 700lb box showing up at your driveway.

Tow Dollies - Kar Kaddy SS-pplmotorhomes.com
Old 01-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
I have backed over 30ft successfully with our KK. Straight back, everything inline!

I have been towing for several thousand miles with an Acme tow dolly. Its low profile , all welded construction and surge disc brakes sold me. I also made a light assembly to go on the toad that works beautifully.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #23

FWIW The other thing to consider when picking a dolly is whether or not you have a locking steering column. Locked do better with a dolly that is steerable. Non locking do better with a non locking dolly. In essence you want one point that pivots. Not zero and not 2.

And yes, I know how to make any setup work. I am just pointing down the easy path.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW The other thing to consider when picking a dolly is whether or not you have a locking steering column. Locked do better with a dolly that is steerable. Non locking do better with a non locking dolly. In essence you want one point that pivots. Not zero and not 2.

And yes, I know how to make any setup work. I am just pointing down the easy path.
Sorry, question, why not 2?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:01 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Found my best deal on this dolly from the guys below. All good as long as you don't mind handling a 700lb box showing up at your driveway.

Saw them at the show also, $3700.00 at the show, went on line and the cost was $3000.00 from the factory. Hummmmm.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:03 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

that's an even better price, Wife is all about this one.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's what we have too, although now I tow four down.

My suggestion as well. We had one for two years before starting to tow 4 down. If I had to get another one the Kar Kaddy would be the one. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #28

Bought a KarKaddy SS last summer and towed a Ford Escape from Alabama to Nova Scotia, with part in-between, with no negative issues. I like the steerable wheels, galvanized finish and surge brakes. Ratchets are easy to use and secure. With a long tongue it allows plenty of clearance between the coach and toad. Tracked great but I'm setting up for flat towing and will sell the dolly soon. Great product that I would buy again if I needed one.

Biggest complaint was safety chains. That's not a dolly issue but a car issue. A lot of cars no longer have tow hooks and the chains need to be attached to the frame. So that I didn't have to crawl under and attach to frame suspension, I bought the tow recovery hook from Ford. It screws, left hand threads, into the front bumper and frame, and attach the chains there. Nearly all newer cars have one, look on the passenger side front bumper.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly