Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Bought a KarKaddy SS last summer and towed a Ford Escape from Alabama to Nova Scotia, with part in-between, with no negative issues. I like the steerable wheels, galvanized finish and surge brakes. Ratchets are easy to use and secure. With a long tongue it allows plenty of clearance between the coach and toad. Tracked great but I'm setting up for flat towing and will sell the dolly soon. Great product that I would buy again if I needed one.

Biggest complaint was safety chains. That's not a dolly issue but a car issue. A lot of cars no longer have tow hooks and the chains need to be attached to the frame. So that I didn't have to crawl under and attach to frame suspension, I bought the tow recovery hook from Ford. It screws, left hand threads, into the front bumper and frame, and attach the chains there. Nearly all newer cars have one, look on the passenger side front bumper.
Nice to know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #30

My CRV has a locking column and I merely use the jet to unlock it then turn the key to the off position and leave the jet in the ignition and the column stays unlocked. My murano was a bit more complicated as it had keyless ignition. I'd have to unlock the steering and then pull the fuse for the steering lock system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW The other thing to consider when picking a dolly is whether or not you have a locking steering column. Locked do better with a dolly that is steerable. Non locking do better with a non locking dolly. In essence you want one point that pivots. Not zero and not 2.

And yes, I know how to make any setup work. I am just pointing down the easy path.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark2 View Post
Sorry, question, why not 2?
Good question. The zero pivots is to avoid stressing the steering. I never saw a reason for not two. Just the advice. I would guess to facilitate the limited backing capability. As I said, desirable choices though there are work arounds.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:35 AM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
In theory yes, but it is difficult to see when you do and once the dolly starts turning it is impossible to correct due to the motorhome length. With surge brakes, there is a piece that is attached to the hitch to disable the brakes and allow you to back up. I have backed up several feet, but backing into a camp site is not something I would attempt.
Not on the KK-460 that we have, there is actually a spring on a plunger setup to keep the brakes from actuating too soon. Ours didn't come with one but Demco sent me one free of charge.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:43 AM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
Found my best deal on this dolly from the guys below. All good as long as you don't mind handling a 700lb box showing up at your driveway.

Tow Dollies - Kar Kaddy SS-pplmotorhomes.com
I had ours delivered to work, they couldn't get the truck into the back so they dropped it off at the front door!
Boss called me and said it was here so I grabbed my tools and went in. It was snowing at the time so here I am at the front entrance to a retirement home assembling a dolly by myself in a snow storm. The only "problem" I had was needing a torque wrench for the pivot bolts. Pulled the dolly home and finished the setup there.
Our Honda Odyssey is at the upper limits of the 460 range. In fact the sidewalls of the front tires ride on the edges of the pan and the weight is up there too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark2 View Post
Saw them at the show also, $3700.00 at the show, went on line and the cost was $3000.00 from the factory. Hummmmm.
So much for "show pricing", eh? $2799.97 today at PPL (the link given previously) through 2/5 (but they're always on sale on the internet through them with some sort of "expiration date" to get you to buy.

I put it in my shopping cart just to see and the shipping cost to Maine was only $115. Pretty reasonable in my book! Will probably order the spare tire and carrier for it when/if I order. $3276.15 with spare tire & mount shipped to Maine.

I've got a 2013 Honda Accord with CVT transmission and push button start. I guess the steering column can be unlocked if need be, but wouldn't need to with this. Like the collapsable feature of the Kar Kaddy SS, but still considering the simplicity of the Acme EZ tow. $1929 with spare tire, delivered ($100 flat ship rate). Most people that have this say about 80% of it can slide under the back of your rig when parked if space is an issue.

Decisions decisions... 88 days until we bring the new coach home and prep it for full time living. Dolly is one of about 500 decisions we need to make soon.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:20 PM   #35

I can only repeat what I know from personal experience. My EZ Tow is great. It's light and I can slide it under the MH on site for storage or stand it up in my garage. For a small car like a CRV its a snap to hook up. Bigger cars like the Mirano I used to have were a bit more of a challenge, but not much.

If I had a criticism of the EZ Tow it's the tiny oddball sized tires. I blew one headed back on a 500 mile trip back home as we headed out. Left me with no spre for the rest of the trip and wondering where I'd find a replacement if lightning struck twice. Now I have two spares. They are small enough to fit in the Honda with the ramps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
So much for "show pricing", eh? $2799.97 today at PPL (the link given previously) through 2/5 (but they're always on sale on the internet through them with some sort of "expiration date" to get you to buy.

I put it in my shopping cart just to see and the shipping cost to Maine was only $115. Pretty reasonable in my book! Will probably order the spare tire and carrier for it when/if I order. $3276.15 with spare tire & mount shipped to Maine.

I've got a 2013 Honda Accord with CVT transmission and push button start. I guess the steering column can be unlocked if need be, but wouldn't need to with this. Like the collapsable feature of the Kar Kaddy SS, but still considering the simplicity of the Acme EZ tow. $1929 with spare tire, delivered ($100 flat ship rate). Most people that have this say about 80% of it can slide under the back of your rig when parked if space is an issue.

Decisions decisions... 88 days until we bring the new coach home and prep it for full time living. Dolly is one of about 500 decisions we need to make soon.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a master tow and have towed a Honda accord for 11,000 miles. I like it a lot, it's easy to load with intragul ramps, has a swivel plate so you leave your steering locked, it has electric brakes. It takes me less time to load and unload than those that tow 4 down.
Mrfix
Old 01-31-2016, 08:20 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I had ours delivered to work, they couldn't get the truck into the back so they dropped it off at the front door!
Boss called me and said it was here so I grabbed my tools and went in. It was snowing at the time so here I am at the front entrance to a retirement home assembling a dolly by myself in a snow storm. The only "problem" I had was needing a torque wrench for the pivot bolts. Pulled the dolly home and finished the setup there.
Our Honda Odyssey is at the upper limits of the 460 range. In fact the sidewalls of the front tires ride on the edges of the pan and the weight is up there too.
Mr D, how much assembly is there to it when you got that direct shipped to you? PPL Motorhomes will ship direct for $900 cheaper than a local dealer 50 miles away will sell me one. I imagine it comes mostly assembled with things like fenders needing to be bolted on? Not fun in a snow storm though I'm sure!
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I can only repeat what I know from personal experience. My EZ Tow is great. It's light and I can slide it under the MH on site for storage or stand it up in my garage. For a small car like a CRV its a snap to hook up. Bigger cars like the Mirano I used to have were a bit more of a challenge, but not much.

If I had a criticism of the EZ Tow it's the tiny oddball sized tires. I blew one headed back on a 500 mile trip back home as we headed out. Left me with no spre for the rest of the trip and wondering where I'd find a replacement if lightning struck twice. Now I have two spares. They are small enough to fit in the Honda with the ramps.

ACME recently ran a special on new tires, two for $79 which included additional balance beads. I also carry a spare but may throw the two new tires in the basement as well just in case.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
...how much assembly is there to it when you got that direct shipped to you? PPL Motorhomes will ship direct for $900 cheaper than a local dealer 50 miles away will sell me one. I imagine it comes mostly assembled with things like fenders needing to be bolted on? Not fun in a snow storm though I'm sure!
Page 11 of the instruction manual in the link below walks you through the assembly. The dolly arrives mounted to a custom wooden pallet with a heavy cardboard box covering it. You will have to bolt on the tongue, the ramps, the fenders and the tires. The only issue I had with assembly is the hydraulic brake line "quick connect" was stubborn and a challenge for me to get connected.

http://demco-products.com/assets/use...ts/RD20018.pdf

** Another consideration....If I recall correctly, PPL does not charge sales tax for out of state purchases **

Old 01-31-2016, 10:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I have a master tow and have towed a Honda accord for 11,000 miles. I like it a lot, it's easy to load with intragul ramps, has a swivel plate so you leave your steering locked, it has electric brakes. It takes me less time to load and unload than those that tow 4 down.
Mrfix
What model master tow do you have?And thanks
for the info.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner

I have a master tow model 80THD with electric brakes and radial tires, I paid $1500.00 for it from a local dealer. I shopped for a long time and found the master tow dolly the easiest to deal with and heaviest duty and the easiest on the car. it has proven itself as the miles added up.
I prefer electric brakes over surge because you have total control when going down steep grades, those I've talked to with surge brakes told me that one trip to yosemite wore out a set of brake shoes,
Mrfix
Old 01-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #42

And of course I missed that special 😢

But I needed a mounted spare. When my tire blew I lost the rim too. So I keep both mounted spares with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
ACME recently ran a special on new tires, two for $79 which included additional balance beads. I also carry a spare but may throw the two new tires in the basement as well just in case.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly