Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Buy a car that you can tow 4 down. Have you ever towed using a dolly?
In my case, the VW 5-door Golf TDI is the perfect compact car for me. I would not have even considered selling the car. I will be the first to admit using a tow dolly is a bit more work when loading/unloading but not that big of a deal to me. Additionally, my personal opinion is that once you are hooked, towing with the Kar Kaddy is a total no-brainer.
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
I have a 2012 Golf TDI 5-door with a 6-speed manual transmission. It came with the keyless "KESSY" ignition system and also with the additional aero package with lower front spoiler and lower side skirts. I never found an easy way to unlock the steering column on the keyless ignition car so that eliminated any dolly that required an unlocked steering column. I looked at several brands and settled on the Demco Kar Kaddy 460 SS due to its robust construction and long list of features. BUT, the approach angle of my low nose Golf meant the Kar Kaddy would have destroyed my front spoiler during loading and unloading operations. I ended up buying a pair of "Race Ramps" to easy the approach angle which work perfectly. I could have used much less expensive 2x12 wood ramps but after experimentation I quickly decided that lugging the heavy wood ramps was not for me. The Race Ramps are really light weight and are easy to stow.

Thanks Moorhead!!! That is my car exactly except my is auto trans. I was concerned about unlocking the steering wheel. Does the KarKaddy pivot at all?
Also, where did you get those ramps?
Thanks again,
G Man
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
Thanks Moorhead!!! That is my car exactly except my is auto trans. I was concerned about unlocking the steering wheel. Does the KarKaddy pivot at all?
Also, where did you get those ramps?
Thanks again,
G Man
Absolutely! The Kar Kaddy 460 SS has a complete steering system for the dolly wheels! They are pricey but I ordered mine from PPL and had it drop shipped to my driveway for a fraction of what the local dealer wanted. The Race Ramps came from Amazon.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Absolutely! The Kar Kaddy 460 SS has a complete steering system for the dolly wheels! They are pricey but I ordered mine from PPL and had it drop shipped to my driveway for a fraction of what the local dealer wanted. The Race Ramps came from Amazon.
Awesome!!! PPL? who and or what is that?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Awesome!!! PPL? who and or what is that?
www.pplmotorhomes.com $2475 when I bought mine but looks like they went up about $100.00 since I bought mine. Some minor assembly required and be prepared for a 715lb box on your doorstep!

Tow Dollies - Kar Kaddy SS
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
www.pplmotorhomes.com $2475 when I bought mine.
Thanks, you are the MAN!!!
Boy, have you saved me a ton of work!
Nice looking car!!! Mine is silver.
Did you get the Sentry Deflector accessory for your KarKaddy?
G Man
Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Thanks, you are the MAN!!!
Boy, have you saved me a ton of work!
Nice looking car!!! Mine is silver.
Did you get the Sentry Deflector accessory for your KarKaddy?
G Man
I did not order the deflector because my coach has a very large rear mudflap. I reserve the right to order that later should I find rock chips
Old 02-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #22

Quote:
www.pplmotorhomes.com $2475 when I bought mine but looks like they went up about $100.00 since I bought mine. Some minor assembly required and be prepared for a 715lb box on your doorstep!

Tow Dollies - Kar Kaddy SS
Motorhead, what is the height of the coupler on the Kaddy? My hitch height is 20 1/2 inches, so how much of a drop down do I need to get when getting the ball assembly to insert into the hitch?
Thanks!
G Man
Old 02-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Motorhead, what is the height of the coupler on the Kaddy? My hitch height is 20 1/2 inches, so how much of a drop down do I need to get when getting the ball assembly to insert into the hitch?
Thanks!
G Man
I am pretty confident the number you need is 18" measured from the ground to the top of the 2" ball. If you use the 20.5" you are going to be angling the ramps closer to the ground when under tow and run the risk of possibly dragging them. Do a quick Google and you can find the manual for that dolly. It gives the exact recommended height. It was either 18" or 18.5" .
Old 02-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you looked at the acme EZ Tow dolly ? I just bought one and had delivered. About 10 minutes and I was ready to roll. Nice price as well. Has a surge brake so no additional investment with what you will pull the VW with. You should at least check it out as another option.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #25

Quote:
I am pretty confident the number you need is 18" measured from the ground to the top of the 2" ball. If you use the 20.5" you are going to be angling the ramps closer to the ground when under tow and run the risk of possibly dragging them. Do a quick Google and you can find the manual for that dolly. It gives the exact recommended height. It was either 18" or 18.5" .
You are right, the manual says the height is 18." So I need a drop down of 2.5 ."
What kind of ball assembly (am I using the correct terminology?) did you get to insert into your hitch?
What do you think of Roadmaster Adjustable Ball Mount?
G Man
Old 02-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love our Kar Kaddy III as well. Really well made and it does not pivot. You do not have to have your steering unlocked either.

I purchased ours from PPL as well. It was drop shipped to my front door in a large crate. You have to assemble some. ie. attach the fenders, wheels, tongue, ect. The hardest thing I had to do was get the crate apart. It was really sturdy!

PPL Motorhomes is a Texas outfit. They are my go to guys for all kinds of stuff. We also purchased a new awning from them.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
Have you looked at the acme EZ Tow dolly ? I just bought one and had delivered. About 10 minutes and I was ready to roll. Nice price as well. Has a surge brake so no additional investment with what you will pull the VW with. You should at least check it out as another option.

The ACME dolly has a fixed table and requires you to unlock the steering column to use it. Not easily done with a keyless ignition car.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I pull a 2002 Toyota Camry with the EZ Tow. I simply place the key in the on position without starting the engine and then pull a fuse. The wheel does not lock and the battery does not drain yet the front end will adjust to all turning situations. Takes 20 seconds to do and works like a charm. Many folks that tow a car with a key do this in fact, this forum gave me the idea. Just passing along.....

KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, door, tow, tow dolly