Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
I pull a 2002 Toyota Camry with the EZ Tow. I simply place the key in the on position without starting the engine and then pull a fuse. The wheel does not lock and the battery does not drain yet the front end will adjust to all turning situations. Takes 20 seconds to do and works like a charm. Many folks that tow a car with a key do this in fact, this forum gave me the idea. Just passing along.....

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
There is no physical key in the VW "KESSY" keyless system. IF you were to pull a fuse under the hood to disable the KESSY system (not sure it is even that simple as KESSY is part of the car's disabling/security system) after you have unlocked the column you likely would not be able to lock/unlock the doors for entry.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
You are right, the manual says the height is 18." So I need a drop down of 2.5 ."
What kind of ball assembly (am I using the correct terminology?) did you get to insert into your hitch?
What do you think of Roadmaster Adjustable Ball Mount?
G Man
I am using a common Reese drop hitch ball mount, nothing special and readily available just about anywhere. I didn't see the need to spend big money on this one....kept it simple.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
Have you looked at the acme EZ Tow dolly ? I just bought one and had delivered. About 10 minutes and I was ready to roll. Nice price as well. Has a surge brake so no additional investment with what you will pull the VW with. You should at least check it out as another option.
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
There is no physical key in the VW "KESSY" keyless system. IF you were to pull a fuse under the hood to disable the KESSY system (not sure it is even that simple as KESSY is part of the car's disabling/security system) after you have unlocked the column you likely would not be able to lock/unlock the doors for entry.
Also, VW's with the keyless entry/ignition do not have an exterior visible door lock. It's there but hidden. I also have a Kar Kaddy 460 SS, best steerable dolly on the market.

A little off topic for those that have VW's with the KESSY system, ever wonder how to start the car if the remote battery goes dead? I did and asked dealer, was told to hold the remote to the steering column where the key switch would be, it will recognize the chip in the remote and will be able to start the car.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Kar Kaddy 460 SS, best steerable dolly on the market.
I walked away with the same opinion after looking at many options. Yes the Kar Kaddy 460 SS cost more than others but I feel I received a very well engineered dolly with nothing mickey moused anywhere on this rig.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
You are right, the manual says the height is 18." So I need a drop down of 2.5 ."
What kind of ball assembly (am I using the correct terminology?) did you get to insert into your hitch?
What do you think of Roadmaster Adjustable Ball Mount?
G Man
In agreement with Motorhead- Adjustable drop hitches are great if you need to adjust it often. We use a fixed drop, because the dolly set-up never needs adjustment...8" of drop needed for our set-up to get within the dolly makers recommended height above ground.
Wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0107141132.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	86078

As a side note...more and more, cars makers are doing away with steering locks (no specifics about VW's) removing the need to address this for towing with a fixed-frame dolly or to flat-tow.

And finally, with low-slung cars - please be aware of the risk of underbody contact with fixed ramp dollies - even on a minor curb crossing...this YouTube illustrates that risk:
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
The ACME dolly has a fixed table and requires you to unlock the steering column to use it. Not easily done with a keyless ignition car.

Interesting. I already have the ACME and we were looking at a VW for our next car, guess we will need to look elsewhere unless the keyless is an option.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #35

A couple of questions (I just posted a question about towing my Murano with an Eze Tow Dolly)

My 2009 Murano is keyless and has a steering column lock. I can unlock my the wheel by pressing the start button without stepping on the brake. The car is now in the accessory on position. Assuming no accessories are on, why would I need to disconnect my battery? Will a healthy battery die after an 8 or 10 hour tow with virtually no power draw?

If I did disconnect my battery after unlocking my steering wheel I would imagine I would not have to worry about locking/unlocking the doors. I'd just leave them unlocked.

If I had a flat towable car I'd probably go 4 downs. But I don't and while a tow dolly has the disadvantages of having an extra large piece of equipment to wrangle, is somewhat more involved of a hook up process, I think the overall cost is the about the same and does not require you to modify your car.

I'm thinking my next car might be a VW Golf TDI. I'd be interested how the OP ends up.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #36

Why not just have the dealer disable the steering wheel lock? They are not a federal requirement so there are no legal issues plus I thint it's safer not having them sinc there is no chance they will fail and lock the steering wheel.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Why not just have the dealer disable the steering wheel lock? They are not a federal requirement so there are no legal issues plus I thint it's safer not having them sinc there is no chance they will fail and lock the steering wheel.
Disabling the steering lock is certainly an option. I'm looking into how to do it.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Interesting. I already have the ACME and we were looking at a VW for our next car, guess we will need to look elsewhere unless the keyless is an option.
Yes, can get without the keyless option. It depends on the level of trim you want. Could look into if dealer can disable the steering lock as mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
My 2009 Murano is keyless and has a steering column lock. I can unlock my the wheel by pressing the start button without stepping on the brake. The car is now in the accessory on position. Assuming no accessories are on, why would I need to disconnect my battery? Will a healthy battery die after an 8 or 10 hour tow with virtually no power draw?

If I did disconnect my battery after unlocking my steering wheel I would imagine I would not have to worry about locking/unlocking the doors. I'd just leave them unlocked.
VW is the same. I already had the Kar Kaddy, the 03 Nissan Altima we traded for the Passat could not be towed 4 down either.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Although I have not investigated it, there is a software/hardware interface available for the VW called "VAGCOM" that allows one to personalize a lot of the features on the VW. The column lock feature on the "KESSY" equipped cars is electronic. I would not be surprised to find a feature on the VAGCOM interface to disable the electronic column lock...UNCONFIRMED THOUGH
Old 02-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
In agreement with Motorhead- Adjustable drop hitches are great if you need to adjust it often. We use a fixed drop, because the dolly set-up never needs adjustment...8" of drop needed for our set-up to get within the dolly makers recommended height above ground.
Wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
Attachment 86078

As a side note...more and more, cars makers are doing away with steering locks (no specifics about VW's) removing the need to address this for towing with a fixed-frame dolly or to flat-tow.

And finally, with low-slung cars - please be aware of the risk of underbody contact with fixed ramp dollies - even on a minor curb crossing...this YouTube illustrates that risk:
Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've really fallen in love with our American Car Dolly. We tow a Focus but it will handle one heck of a lot more vehicle. Very easy to use- loads quickly and rides behind us quite well. Might want to check it out. Reasonably priced with brakes and you can get an optional spare.

Home | American Car Dolly

Tags
dolly, door, tow, tow dolly