Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #15

Hi. I also have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. I researched this a lot before I purchased. I know it's subjective, but I think the M&G braking system is one of the best with proportional braking and back up safety devices. I tow behind a Monaco Diesel Pusher. It uses the air brake system on the RV. If you have an RV without air lines, they also sell a air generator for the RV. I fully agree with one other opinion of using the Mopar Wiring harness since it only costs a little more but it's plug and play and requires no diodes etc. Totally uses the RV electrical to activate the Jeep rear lights. What's nice is that the 2012 Wrangler and on model years no longer has a steering wheel lock so you don't have to leave keys in ignition and it in the on position. I have a Roadmaster tow bar mounted on the motorhome and the Roadmaster hidden Jeep baseplate that mounts without drilling new holes in the frame. Also is very stealth with small removable extensions to connect the tow bar. What's great is with the standard 21 inch wheels on the Jeep, it sits level with the tow on the RV. Best of luck to you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Picked up my new 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport yesterday afternoon. Since I already have the Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar I will be getting the Blue Ox base plate for it.

Jerry

jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #17
laj

just bought a 2014 wrangler. i qas just wondering the advantage of using the mopar wiring harness over the diodes. had diodes on my last toad worked great. just needing opinions before i set this one up. tks.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #18

I use Blue Ox base plate, Aventa tow bars and Brake Buddy Vantage select. I can hook up in under 10 minutes. I find it easy and nothing shows when not towing.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a front rock bumper ($500), an A-frame towbar ($125) and a set of shackle adaptors ($99) and DIY. I found the bumper as a clearance item from the mfr and already had the tow bar. Got over 11,000 miles on it already. Be cautioned, tricking out your Jeep can be a very slippery slope... Body Armor 4x4 Part b/ajk-19531 - High Clearance Front Bumper

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #20
laj

thanks guys. am using roadmaster base plate, smi braking, taken off last toad. before i did the light wiring was just wondering why preference for mopar wiring harness instead of diodes.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
thanks guys. am using roadmaster base plate, smi braking, taken off last toad. before i did the light wiring was just wondering why preference for mopar wiring harness instead of diodes.
Seems that I read elsewhere the Mopar kit will illuminate your side running lights, which I think amounts to an amber light on front fender. I have a good hitch shop and wanted them to be my first stop with any problem, and he wires with diodes. I didn't object.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #22

There has been a lot written on this site before about whether to use Mopar or after market wiring harnesses. Everyone has a personal preference. The arguments have been stated and anyone can research it. My thing is if you only have to pay maybe $60 more for a Mopar Genuine part wiring harness that seamlessly is plug and play and is already recognized by the computer with no need to add any other trick parts to work the necessary lights, than to cheap out to get it done, why bother. Since I had purchased the JK new from the dealer previously, I asked for and they gave me a discount on the part which made it almost the same price as Amazons price for the Mopar part. I also used Mopar for the other end to set the JK up with a 7 pin wiring harness for the Jeep to tow a trailer. So now I can tow the JK behind my RV and to use the Jeep to tow a trailer. Others may agree or disagree with my or others opinions and only you can decide.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hogdriver. Dave, I knew I had seen a picture of a Jeep with a bumper that had the tow tabs on it but could not remember where. Where can they be bought and how difficult is the installation. I currently have a 2009 2WD Sahara (thanks to a convincing salesman back then) but looking to buy a 2014 4WD Sahara to tow. What else do I need to know for this set up? I am planning on having the MH dealer install everything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Coach should be in within a few weeks.

Thanks
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Currie base plate or aftermarket bumper with blue Ox bolt on brackets or adapters for D-ring lugs.

Ready Brute tow bar with built in braking system.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote