Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Best Tow Package 2014 Jeep Wrangler

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and I am looking for the best all around tow package and brake system that is also the least visible when just driving the Jeep around town. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
This question has been discussed many times over the last few months. Just read through many of the threads in this forum.

I like the Roadmaster system. I use Stowmaster tow bar, EZ adapter (removes easily so you don't see much up front) Roadmaster baseplate, Brakemaster proportional brake system, Roadmaster wiring harness and Flexicoil 7 wire to 4 wire adapter. I like Roadmaster because it is 100% made in the US. I am not sure about the other brands.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #3

Wrangler Towing

Hi Jim,I have a 2012 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited thatI tow behind my Dynasty DP. I use the Ready Brute Elite which utilizes a built in Brake System. I use their break away device as well. I mounted the Currie Base Plate which does require some grinding to fit the 2020-2014 Wrangler but it is no big deal. Jeep added excess metal on the front crossmember so the Currie must ground down a small amount, Currie will provide the details.
I used a light bar on the spare enabling direct wires from the MH for the signals etc so no special harness with diodes are required and the Jeep can be returned to stock very easily. The wires will come with a Trailer/boat light package which will work very well.
The Currie replaces the Plastic valence mounted behind the front bumper and will work as protection to the front undercarrage.
Many members of this Forum have used this setup, do a search. There are also write ups on the JK Jeep Forum. The Ready Brute is very well designed and will remain on the MH, it is made of Aluminum very strong 8000lbs capacity. The Currie is barely seen on the Jeep.
Good Luck the Jeep is a Great Toad.
Barrier2
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

Blue Ox has removable pins for the Jeep, nothing sticks past the bumper.

Lots of choices.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I think that the Blue Ox baseplates are least visible, in general.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #6

I also use the Currie base plate, also use Cool Tech wiring harness for lights and Toad Charger to keep the battery charged while the breaking system is in use.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #7

2013 jeep wrangler, and newmar 40' Mountian Aire. I have an M&G brake system on jeep, Mopar wiring harness, and Roadmaster baseplate/tow bars. Towed 3,000+ miles with no issues. Easy to connect/disconnect. No power drain on jeep. Proportional braking. All good.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
One of the Hoots

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jimfryar,
  • Blue Ox Base Plate
  • Mopar Wiring Harness
  • BrakeBuddy Vantage Select
Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brake System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfryar View Post
I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and I am looking for the best all around tow package and brake system that is also the least visible when just driving the Jeep around town. Any suggestions?
What did you end up using?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Blue Ox has removable pins for the Jeep, nothing sticks past the bumper.

Lots of choices.
The Roadmaster EZ Adapters are also removable so that nothing sticks out past the grill.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I have a Roadmaster Sterling towbar with a Roadmaster Brakemaster brake system on my 12 Wrangler Rubicon. My Jeep is lifted 2.5 inches with 35 inch tires so I have to use a 4 inch drop receiver. I'd suggest buy the Mopar wiring harness. Here's a pic with my Jeep using the stock bumper. Since that time I have switched to a aftermarket bumper and the towbar tabs are welded on. It takes me less than 5 mins to hookup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	60959  
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue Ox base plate.
Blue Ox Aventa LX
Tow Daddy for lights. (very easy)
RVI2 brake system

Can not even see the base plate on the jeep.
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi Jim,I have a 2012 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited thatI tow behind my Dynasty DP. I use the Ready Brute Elite which utilizes a built in Brake System. I use their break away device as well. I mounted the Currie Base Plate which does require some grinding to fit the 2020-2014 Wrangler but it is no big deal. Jeep added excess metal on the front crossmember so the Currie must ground down a small amount, Currie will provide the details.
I used a light bar on the spare enabling direct wires from the MH for the signals etc so no special harness with diodes are required and the Jeep can be returned to stock very easily. The wires will come with a Trailer/boat light package which will work very well.
The Currie replaces the Plastic valence mounted behind the front bumper and will work as protection to the front undercarrage.
Many members of this Forum have used this setup, do a search. There are also write ups on the JK Jeep Forum. The Ready Brute is very well designed and will remain on the MH, it is made of Aluminum very strong 8000lbs capacity. The Currie is barely seen on the Jeep.
Good Luck the Jeep is a Great Toad.
Barrier2
X2 on the Currie as the best looking and fitting under the Jeep.

X2 on the installation difficulties. Check out the Currie and ask if the instal problems are worth the fit. I would probably do it again. After the installation difficulty, I can say that the baseplate works well, is very stout and looks good under there.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #14

Ready Brute Elite towbar, brake system, breakaway system. Generic wiring harness, battery disconnect. Blue Ox baseplate pretty well bolts up to Wrangler frame. Removable pins save your shins. Nice, tidy installation. Did it myself - took about ( 6 or 7 ) hours total.

britcon is offline   Reply With Quote