Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too will recommend a JEEP, about a 2 year old JEEP (I will explain why) as the JEEP 4WD vehicles still have a genuine MANUAL transfer case you can put in neutral and tow the blazes out of it.

Why a 2 year old? The older jeeps the ignition had ACC-LOCK-OFF-ON-START

The new ones do not have the "off" they have LOCK-ACC-On-Start from what I understand.

Of course a "Hidden switch" both fixes this problem (By making ACC and ON both into OFF) and provides an additional level of security (Anti-theft type)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I have towed my 2001 Honda Accord automatic 4 down for 4 or 5000 miles and have had no problems. I do follow the rules running it thru the gears every 4 or 5 hours.
Most Honda cars automatic or standard that are not all wheel drive can be towed 4 down. This is not advertised as Honda never officially tested these vehicles for this purpose. However the engine should be started every 8 hours or 300 miles to lubricate the internals of the transmission by shifting through all the gears ending in 1-2-3 neutral. I tow a 2000 Accord 4-door V-6.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I am just getting ready to set all this up. We will be full timing within the next year, once we sell the house and all the junk in it.

I currently have a 2000 bounder, I will be upgrading to a tiffin allegro bus and tow a ford ranger, 5 speed tranny. I already have the ford ranger.

This forum is very informative and I am learning alot about towing.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed

tks

Wayne 7 Linda and a dog a and a cat (dont ask)
2000 bounder - upgrading to a tiffin bus
Old 11-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Gary summed it all up in a nut shell. You have to consider how much your RV will tow. What you are comfortable driving when you get to your destination. What you can haul in your toad when towing with your RV. Now we went with a 2008 jeep liberty after a lot of reading on this forum and others. All things considered for us this was the right vehicle. 4x4 for winter use. Yes we still live where it snows. Not much money, easy to handle, 4400 lbs, automatic and can put my bikes on the hitch that is on the Jeep. IF you are still unsure about what can or can't be towed when going to a car dealer look for the manual in the glove box and look up towing behind recreation vehicle. It will tell you what you want to know. If that car fits your likes, then there go.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
HHR 3,300 lb automatic transmission, one fuse to pull or easy to put a switch on. 30 + MPG A lot of used ones at a low price for sale.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #34

Hi Bob, looks like we are getting an 05' CC 36' quad slide, in Oregon. Now looking for a tow vehicle and saw your response, so just a quick hello. Jerry/Phyllis, Oregon.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #36

Because we only have a 5000 lb towbar, I don't think our Sedona would do the job, particularly as we do a fair bit of mountain driving (you can hardly avoid it living here!). It's the SE model and is 4800 pounds unoccupied, according to the book. Since old Kias (an 03) don't hold their value too well, we might be looking at something even older.

Friends have had a Jeep Liberty until recently, when they swapped it for a new RAV4. They aren't RVers and I'm not sure an older RAV4 would be flat towable without mods.

I'll be looking at the REMCO recommendations shortly, but if anyone does tow a Liberty, I'd be interested in comments. I fear the Cherokee series would be a similar weight to the Sedona.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
According to Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guide, that is correct. I have not seen a Civic listed in any of their guides. I've only seen Honda SUV's (not cars) listed.

Not that MHM's guide is the be all/end all of toad listings, but it's what many of us use as a guide.

Lori-
The Honda Fit is also flat towable (approved by Honda), including those with an automatic transmission. We tow ours and at only 2,400 lbs you can't tell it's even there.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At 3,000 lbs with the V-6 engine I can't tell my Honda Accord is there either. Great gas mileage and cheap to maintain.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I needed a vehicle for dual purpose. Pull my 21' boat or tow behind MH. Also liked having a truck around, so I got a Chevy Colorado 4x4 king cab. Lets me do all the things and tows without any specials. Just put xfercase in N and tow away. No steering lock or fuses to remove etc... Gives me extra storage if needed and can carry passengers without trouble.. I have a brake buddy and my tow plate installed by a professional along with light kit. Can't be happier...
cuemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toads four down

We tow an 07 Jeep Liberty. V6 great power. Mileage about 20. Tows great drives good. Weighs about 4200. M&G Brake system.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

What does it weigh, please?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
What does it weigh, please?
5089 pounds for the Unlimited (4 door model).