Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

Best Vehicle to tow

Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. We are new at this game so wanted to get opinions on what type, model of vehicle is a good choice. I do have a heavy duty trailor that will hold a standard size pick up or my subaru legacy but then have to deal with storing the trailor. Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpeter View Post
Hi all, I am looking at purchasing a vehicle to tow behind our motor home. We are new at this game so wanted to get opinions on what type, model of vehicle is a good choice. I do have a heavy duty trailor that will hold a standard size pick up or my subaru legacy but then have to deal with storing the trailor. Thanks in advance for your help!
We tow a Honda FIT 4 wheels down. Only 2,600 pounds, don't even know its back there.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Feel free to use our search feature and you'll find tons of reading material on how folks feel about their toads.

Jeeps seem to be the most popular followed by Honda CRV IMO. We toad a Jeep Grand Cherokee and loved it but I think the Wrangler is even more popular as a toad.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chevrolet Malibu
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Certainly depends on the motor home's capabilities. Check the limits of what you can tow safely, THEN decide which toad is for you. Ours is a GMC Acadia, and the motor home's rated for 10,000 pounds, as is the hitch. As others have mentioned, we don't even know it's there - thank goodness for rear view cameras!

And, welcome to iRV2!

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

We have pulled our 2000 Jeep Wrangler behind three different motor homes now. First a class c with small block Chevy, then a 20 year old class A with the Ford 460 and now a '06 Windsport with the Ford V10. Easily pulled by all. easy to prepare and hook up with the transfer case drive train and a lot of fun when you reach your destination.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very hard to beat the Honda CR-V. Easy tow. Easy set up four down tow. 3500 pounds. A consumers best buy in every production year, highest resale value, highest safety ratings, highest reliability scores year after year.

Silky smooth engine and transmission, roomy for it's size. Plenty of bling if you want it, or less if not.

Lots of people like other tows for good reasons but few if any can match this pedigree.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have towed the Jeep Wrangler, 2 door. We loved the jeep, and was a very useful vehicle around the house when not camping. If it would have been a 4 door, may still have it, but our grandson goes with us about all the time, so the 2 door was a pain. I like a truck and it has more uses camping and when not camping. We opted for the Chev-Colorado 4X4. Just plug and play. No drive shaft to disconnect, hook up put in neutral and tow. Great for hauling extras in the bed, and is light too.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep Wrangler hands down. The best ANY weather convertable out there.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing

We use a Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly to tow our 2011 Buick Regal. We opted for this set-up because it is reasonably easy to use and store (tongue folds back) and we usually run 3 year leases on our cars so making any modifications to the car for towing purposes would be cost prohibitive for us. Prior to the Regal we towed a Saturn Aura.

Good luck on selection,
Bob
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #11

You will have many options. We wanted a comfortable car with reasonable mileage, lots of features, and can be towed 4 wheels down. We ended up with a Buick LaCrosse (2010 or newer). After 20,000 miles of towing, we are very pleased with the car and its performance.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #12

Agree that Jeeps are very popular and for good reasons. I have towed a '85 CJ7 many miles, but if wanting more, and in the pickup models, I like towing my Chevy Colorado. I use a Roadmaster Sterling tow system and Brake Buddy. Hardly know it is there with the 400 Cummins. Other GMC products probably tow well also.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfpeter View Post
This is one of those subjects that there are a lot of opinions out there. As the old saying goes "opinions are like aXXXXXXs, everyone has one". So, IMO you should consider the following:
What can be safely towed by your MH (hitch weight rating)?
Will this vehicle need to be a "daily driver" or only a toad?
How easy/expensive to set up to tow (can you "do it yourself" - some older vehicles are a simple bolt on for the base plates - like older CRVs - research the manufacturer's web sites and you can review installation manuals)?
Do you want/need AWD/4WD?
Does the toad have the fit, finish, comfort, size that will suit you when you "get where u are going"?
Ect., ect., ect.
Check out the Remco website and you can enter a make/model/year of most any vehicle and find out if the vehicle can be towed and what modifications, if any, would be necessary...Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
aschuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #14

Important note: if you go with Jeep make sure it's 4 wheel drive.