Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There is a very good reason Jeep Wranglers are the #1 choice for a putting behind a RV.
Spoken like a true Jeeper! Probably not true, though. Most Rvers prefer SUVs or sedans rather than the rather rough & ready Wrangler. I'm not knocking the Wrangler, but it's not the vehicle for everyone's needs or tastes. There are probably as many people towing Grand Cherokees as there are Wranglers. Not to mention CRVs, Fits, Equinoxes, Escapes, etc.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, I agree with you Gary! I really don't see that many Wranglers being towed out there. And though I'd like to get a Jeep someday, most of the off roading that is done out there doesn't require a Wrangler to do it, the trail in the picture posted doesn't look to me like it would need a Wrangler to negotiate. Now if Jeep starts making a midsize pickup, I'd be talking to a Jeep dealer as I write this!

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #17

We tow a 2008 Mini Cooper clubman 6 speed been towing for 3 seasons aprox 10,000 miles with no problems.No rituals before or after towing put it in nuetral and go,key does not need to be on so no dead battery issues.plus its a blast to drive.

good luck Rick
Old 11-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a 2013 Chevrolet Spark with a 5 speed manual transmission. Put the transmission in neutral, release the brake and turn the key to the first notch (NOT ACCESSORY) and go. It is lightweight, roomy and cheap. It also gets great gas mileage and is fun to drive around town. I wouldn't want to make any long trips with it but we didn't buy it for that.

In 2014 it had the top rating for IIHS crash testing in the minicar category.

Vehicle details
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #19

Toads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headingout View Post
Thanks for the advice. We would like a small suv type vehicle like the CRV or Saturn View. I guess the Wrangler would be good too. I was trying to find the smallest flat tow able car. Is the Ford Escape or Fiesta flat towable? Are there other suggestions in the small suv type vehicle? We appreciate your help.

Try the web site below for what can be towed. I don't believe Ford Escape is unless they have changed.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
Old 11-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #20

Personally I tow a Malibu Maxx, it is only around 3000lbs, automatic, just put in neural and go. I tow it all over US and Canada at highway speeds for 4 years and it just keeps on ticking. There was a bunch of GMs with this tranny in them its an 2006. They are hatchbacks so somewhat like a small SUV. Jeeps have alot of problems unless they have drastically changed in recent years.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First you need to know how much you can tow, FOR this you need to look at 3 numbers:
1 The weight of your RV loaded for travel
2 The Max COMBINED Gross vehicle weight rating (MCGVW)
3: The rating of the hitch

Here is the math
MCGVW-GVW (that is actual weight of RV) = Limit 1
HItch = limit 2

Answer is the lower limit,, In my case (Class A)(
GVW method gives me 4,000 pounds, Hitch 5K so its 4000 pounds.

IF you use a drop or riser adapter to get the hitch points to line up, this reduces the hitch rating big time,, Inspect all welds and joints including the brackets at the frame rail ends every time you tow. I wish I had but thankfully damage was in the 100 dollar total range (100-125).

Most popular vehicle to tow: Some of the Car and driver, road and track type magazines do frequent "Bang for the Buck" tests of "hot" cars, Like Mustangs, and Cameros and you know who beats their wheels off? JEEP, Lots and lots of BANG (Fun) not all that many bucks.

Some of the jeeps are now under 4,000 pounds.

WHat do I tow, 2001 Dodge Neon modified (Remco LP-1) 2500 pounds. Gets decent millage, in fact I was chatting with Darling Daughter yester day.. her 2013 Charger,,, Well she does a bit better on the freeway but her overall----- Same as mine.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If you will ever have a interest to explore off road........a car won't go where a Jeep will
We had a blast out west with our Jeep
(click on photo to enlarge)
Where is that?
Old 11-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #23
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If you will ever have a interest to explore off road........a car won't go where a Jeep will
We had a blast out west with our Jeep
(click on photo to enlarge)

Oh yeah, watch this!

Watch a Ford Crown Victoria get trail-rated
Old 11-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Where is that?
One can off-road in anything they want........Jeep JK is my choice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02405.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	80217  
Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
But you cant flat tow a Vic lol
Old 12-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #26

I made the toad decision last week. I had to choose a vehicle that would work for everyday use, including carrying my three Labrador Retrievers. I was tempted by the Wrangler (fantasizing about driving desert trails) but went with a 2012 CRV (realizing that it was much more practical.) The main pros for the CRV: much better fuel economy, lower projected maintenance and repair, lower weight. I still fantasize about those desert trails, but figure I can afford to rent a jeep, if it comes to that.

I traded in a GMC Denali which I used to pull a 6000 pound travel trailer. When I got my motorhome a couple years ago, the Denali became a white elephant (in several senses.) I cleared enough on the trade-in to set up the CRV to be towed. So far I love the CRV for
my everyday use, and next week it goes to be equipped as a toad.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #27

BTW, The 2015 CRV is definitely not flat towable. The reason I jumped into it last week was in order to snatch up a 2014 which is flat towable. I happened to find a good deal on the 2012 instead.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #28

wallacerm, good decision. if i were not having the fit, i would have gone with a crv.
honda's weakness is tranny. if you keep fluid fresh (drain/refill annually; you could only get 1/3 out of it each time), you'll be good.

Tags
tow