Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Best vehicle to tow behind

Hi Everyone. We are working on getting a 24 to 28 ft. class C. We would like to tow a small car to site see, etc. What is the best TOAD for this size of rig?
Headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many to choose from. Need a bit more info of what you want. A car, SUV, something that can go on off-road trails, etc.

Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee are popular 4 wheel drive with transfer case allows either automatic or manual transmission to be towed. Honda CRV's also common for an automatic that can be towed.

FMCA provides a list of toad capable vehicles on their web site.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
A 25 to 28 foot Class C will only have a max of 5000 lbs tow capacity.....some only have 3500 lbs. So, first you need to find out exactly what the tow capacity of the rig you think you might want.

If 5000 lbs limit, you have quite a selection of vehicles you can tow. There are more Jeeps than anything else, followed by Honda CRV's. Many GM and Ford products are available (see my signature for mine).

As mentioned, provide us with a little more info.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #4

more info

Thanks for the advice. We would like a small suv type vehicle like the CRV or Saturn View. I guess the Wrangler would be good too. I was trying to find the smallest flat tow able car. Is the Ford Escape or Fiesta flat towable? Are there other suggestions in the small suv type vehicle? We appreciate your help.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

The Honda Fit is smaller than the CR-V and is towable 4 down until the 2014 model I think.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #6

The 2015 CRV is not towable 4 down...as I understand it.

Probably should buy your rv before your toad, otherwise your choice in toad might reduce some of your rv choices as the reverse can restrict your toad choices. Verify carefully.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
The Honda Fit is smaller than the CR-V and is towable 4 down until the 2014 model I think.

X2. Just set up our 2012 Fit.
Campbell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Interest in off-roading?

If you will ever have a interest to explore off road........a car won't go where a Jeep will
We had a blast out west with our Jeep
(click on photo to enlarge)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02622.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	80075  
Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
A good way to find out if a particular vehicles is flat towable or not, is to go to the following web site:
Store : Remco

Plug in the vehicle brand, model, year (and other info) and it will tell you what you need to know to flat tow it.

As mentioned, our small SUV (at almost exactly 4000 lbs) has been a very good toad. The Chevy Equinox is a sister of our Terrain (only the body style is different). As for the Escape or the Focus... check with the above web site.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #10

Can you tell me more about setting up your FIT. I think we may get one due to the small weight factor. What do you have to do to tow it flat? I know we will need the tow bar, car connections, lights and a brake buddy. Do you put it in Neutral and just pull it? I would appreciate any info you can give us. Thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #11

We like our 2007 Honda CRV
Old 11-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You do not just put any toad in neutral and tow it. You should carefully read the owner's manual. Our CRV requires us to run the engine, shift through the forward automatic transmission selections and never end in reverse. Then place it in neutral. Be sure the steering is not locked or in the acc or on position. Then remember you cannot ever backup with the toad attached!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
Community Moderator

i have been towing honda fit for past 2.5 years, with towed mileage about 14kmi, no issues.

pros:
- easy set up and easy tow
- roomy especially the cargo area - bigger than it appears
- great gas mileage @36-42 mpg
- light yet sturdy; no float feeling in a side-wind (opposite to toyota corolla and camry)
- for its light weight, i don't see that aux brake really makes a difference. but follow the laws.

cons:
- too low from ground
- road noise, a common problem in honda's
- probably unsafe in the event of accident - be defensive on road

procedure: (see your user manual, too)
- start engine
- go through each position with 1 minute run if it's a cold start
- stop at "D" drive
- move to "N" drive, let engine run for 3 minutes
(normally this is the time i put on hand brake and go out to set up tow bar/signal etc. in 3 minutes i normally get things done)
- back in car, release hand brake, turn key to acc position (now the key is locked in, you can't pull it out)
- come out, done.
- repeat above steps after 8 hours

i use roadmaster falcon all terrain towbar. bought a signal cable kit from etrailer.com and made a connector with a charge line.

overall i am happy with it.

(note - fit is a small car vs crv, latter has an appealing style, looking cooler. if you intend to drive this car as your daily driver when not on the road, crv might be more adequate, as you don't want to be mistaken as a college kid. for me i care less how other people are looking at me and i do have other cars at home that i normally drive).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If you will ever have a interest to explore off road........a car won't go where a Jeep will
We had a blast out west with our Jeep

BTDT and LOVED it.

There is a very good reason Jeep Wranglers are the #1 choice for a putting behind a RV.

I find the 06 and older Jeeps simpler, smaller, more reliable, and more maneuverable than the newer ones.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow