Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best way to "lock" steering wheel for dolly?

Looking for suggestions on the easiest / best way to immobilize the steering wheel on a toad that does not have a lockable column.
I'm currently looping a short length on 3/4" nylon rope through the wheel and locking it in the seat belt. (I snug it by running the seat further back after attaching)
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The Strap cinch-style is most popular and easiest to use, and cheaper.
I have used the mechanical (bar type) when I operated a tow truck since that is what the company had. I did a good job but takes up more room to store. For personal use (if I needed one) I would go with the strap.

https://store.newtowtrucks.com/steer...ocks-c495.aspx
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like the strap.

Anchored to what? The seat frame (mount)?
Old 08-18-2018, 03:43 AM   #4

Pull your seatbelt all of the way out, then loop it thru the bottom of the steering wheel and then fasten it as if wearing. Depending on the belt, you may have to do two loops around the wheel, or just wrap it around the belt itself to make it taut.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I used the technique ThePowells described on a 2103 Buick Verano. Worked great and quite easy to do. Two wraps around the wheel on mine, than snap the belts ends together and run the seat back to tighten it down snug.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ThePowells and RVRoamer... basically doing that but the seat belt was not long enough. Hence, the rope loop.

But... I've decided to use a different car and the seat belt is long enough.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

Many times the female end is attached to the seat and will move forward with the seat.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #8

Why tie the steering wheel ?

I never have and all seems fine while towing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

What do you tow and how do you tow it?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I would guess that your dolly does not have steerable wheels.

On basic dollies with fixed wheels you have to unlock the steering so it can turn in corners. On dollies with steerable wheels the toad steering has to be locked/secured so it can't turn.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post
I would guess that your dolly does not have steerable wheels.

On basic dollies with fixed wheels you have to unlock the steering so it can turn in corners. On dollies with steerable wheels the toad steering has to be locked/secured so it can't turn.

I still don't understand how steer tires that are not in contact with the ground can make a car turn.....
Old 08-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #12

I use a Stehl Tow dolly and have towed a Kia Soul with steering lock removed and now tow a Jeep Renegade 2X4.

I know we are not talking about the Acme dolly because that requires the steering unlocked. That leaves the swivel plate and steering tires type dolly.

Saying the steering needs to be tied does not answer my original question, Why ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:06 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I use a Stehl Tow dolly and have towed a Kia Soul with steering lock removed and now tow a Jeep Renegade 2X4.

I know we are not talking about the Acme dolly because that requires the steering unlocked. That leaves the swivel plate and steering tires type dolly.

Saying the steering needs to be tied does not answer my original question, Why ?

But I did answer your question.

"On basic dollies with fixed wheels you have to unlock the steering so it can turn in corners.

On dollies with steerable wheels the toad steering has to be locked/secured so it can't turn."

If you allow the toad steering to turn on a dolly with a swivel plate or steerable wheels they will work against each other. When the dolly turns left the toad would want to turn right and you would end up with an offset toad.

You could find that your toad is tracking straight ahead but is half off the road or half in the left lane. Neither is good.

Tags
dolly, steering