Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Best way to protect "the toad"?

So I am going to be towing my '99 Miata when we take off in a month. My Bounder has neither wheel mud flaps nor does it have any type of bumper skirt. I am a bit concerned with the front of the Miata getting blasted by all sorts of "stuff". I'm also concerned about cost. Wondering if anyone has a thought as to what might work best.

I've thought of a bra for the Miata or a 3M clear bra for it, but not sure if that would be the best way. Would love to have one of those really nice wide rubber skirts many of the large DP's have but not sure how easy to install on our Bounder...or where to purchase one assuming it wouldn't cost a fortune.

Thanks....
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I, too, will be interested in hearing the collective wisdom and experience of the forum.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use and like the "Protect A Tow". Easy on and off, and effective.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #4

We use the Roadmaster Guardian

We tow an MX-5, and use a Roadmaster Guardian rock shield. Its a bit bulky when not in use. Other than that, great so far, no issues.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Protect-a-tow.
No rock chips. Toad stays cleaner on wet or dusty roads. Inexpensive. Easy to put on and take off. Small, light and easy to store.
c_oneil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #6

Mud flaps, mud flaps located between the tires (not the marketing flap customary near the rear of the RV), road choices and speed are often enough. That's all we used on the long gravel repaired sections of the Alaska highway.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
Protect-a-tow.
No rock chips. Toad stays cleaner on wet or dusty roads. Inexpensive. Easy to put on and take off. Small, light and easy to store.

Plus, put mud flaps behind your rear wheels.

My personal view is to forget about that big rear mud flap.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

The first line of defense is mud flaps behind the tires. You will want to measure with the air out of the bags, and order the mud flaps to be about 1-2" off the ground at that point. Then when you air up, they are as long as possible, without worrying about them hitting the ground when you park. Use a stiffer material, rubber just flys up and does not do the job. If your coach does not have air bags, measure so the mud flaps are 6-7" off the ground. Also, make sure the mud flaps are wide enough to cover the tires.
The Bounder may need a custom bracket made to have something metal to hang from. Some coaches do.
If you have a tag axle, you also want the mud flap between the two sets of tires if you have anything to hang from.
The rear mud flap is going to catch the rocks that get by the mud flaps behind the wheels, or the loose rocks that get kicked up just from the wind currents your coach creates underneath it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bounder front (1).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	77196   Click image for larger version

Name:	bounder rear.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	737.0 KB
ID:	77197  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bounder front (3).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	77198  
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pulled a 91 Miata all around the country with no protection and didn't have a problem.

I currently pull a Lexus RX300 with no protection and haven't had a problem for over 30,000 miles.

We travel a lot and to have to install and remove a shield every day would drive me crazy.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
We tow an MX-5, and use a Roadmaster Guardian rock shield. Its a bit bulky when not in use. Other than that, great so far, no issues.
same here. bulky but easy on and off.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraFlap View Post
Use a stiffer material, rubber just flys up and does not do the job.
Can you tell us what material you used and where to get it? Thanks.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My toad is a tool and my tools tend to get rock chips and dirty.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Can you tell us what material you used and where to get it? Thanks.
Hi Mark,

We actually make the mud flaps for RV's, you can read about us at the Vendors Spotlight site where we are allowed to talk about our products.
For the do it yourselfer, you can find the material at many big rig truck stops.

Just get the polyethylene material instead of the rubber.
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
So I am going to be towing my '99 Miata when we take off in a month. My Bounder has neither wheel mud flaps nor does it have any type of bumper skirt. I am a bit concerned with the front of the Miata getting blasted by all sorts of "stuff". I'm also concerned about cost. Wondering if anyone has a thought as to what might work best.

I've thought of a bra for the Miata or a 3M clear bra for it, but not sure if that would be the best way. Would love to have one of those really nice wide rubber skirts many of the large DP's have but not sure how easy to install on our Bounder...or where to purchase one assuming it wouldn't cost a fortune.

Thanks....
Bill, when we bought the MH I installed a UltraGuard solid rubber flap on the back (4" from ground), and bought a Protect-A-Tow mesh shield that totally covers the area between the MH and toad. We have never had a single paint chip on the toad! I believe this is the best possible protection you can get at any price! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad