Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
This is the way the OEMs transport brand new cars and trucks.
those t slots are there on the frame for that specific purpose.
Just look at a car carrier when it dropping off new cars.

this is true for most....
however I ain't toting 14 cars , just one and its sooooooo much easier to use ratchets over the wheels than try to cinch down a chain to squeeze a suspension, which you can never squeeze down enough not to bounce and jar, without a winch of some sort.
to each is his own

oh yes ...get some light alum ramps, i found some under 20 lbs that can hold 2500 lbs per ramp

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i have no idea why anyone would tie to the frame, this only creates lots of tress on the tie down points
Since the tie down points are designed as tie down points, the manufacturers reinforce this part of the unibody.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Since the tie down points are designed as tie down points, the manufacturers reinforce this part of the unibody.
wow tangent alert

for the ease of getting hooked up and tied down. wheel straps are for us faster, stronger and hold the most important key....
Weight savings. chains are heavy, straps are lighter.

but if we go back to the original question

denali is heavy say 7k lbs or more, his trailer designed to carry it...2.5 k lbs -3 k lbs lbs
soooo if the coach has a 10k lb tow limit.....he is already over weight, or right up against the bar so to speak
end of discussion
Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #18

Quote:
wow tangent alert

for the ease of getting hooked up and tied down. wheel straps are for us faster, stronger and hold the most important key....
Weight savings. chains are heavy, straps are lighter.

but if we go back to the original question

denali is heavy say 7k lbs or more, his trailer designed to carry it...2.5 k lbs -3 k lbs lbs
soooo if the coach has a 10k lb tow limit.....he is already over weight, or right up against the bar so to speak
end of discussion

So, from what you are saying.... I should stick with straps simply because of the weight. That makes sense. And yes, my coach is GVWR of 33,000 and GCWR 43,000. So from my understanding that leaves me 10,000 of trailer/cargo weight. Now... the trailer/Denali weight will be right at 10,000 which the trailer is designed to carry. However, my concern is the the GVWR calculated with dry tanks or full tanks, including fuel or on empty? Does anyone know?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdentist99 View Post
However, my concern is the the GVWR calculated with dry tanks or full tanks, including fuel or on empty? Does anyone know?
GVWR is a maximum and thus would include all cargo, fluids and people.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So, from what you are saying.... I should stick with straps simply because of the weight. That makes sense. And yes, my coach is GVWR of 33,000 and GCWR 43,000. So from my understanding that leaves me 10,000 of trailer/cargo weight. Now... the trailer/Denali weight will be right at 10,000 which the trailer is designed to carry. However, my concern is the the GVWR calculated with dry tanks or full tanks, including fuel or on empty? Does anyone know?

your on the right track
we have a 32 gvwr and 42 gcvwr
loaded with the truck and trailer....5760 truck(1/4 tank of fuel), plus 2100 trailer puts us at 7800 leaves a bit of wiggle room and i run on the hitch ball a weight of 600-800 lbs depending on how much fuel we have in the truck
i am a firm believer in weighing everything and having a plan to manage the weight.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 AM   #21

Quote:
your on the right track
we have a 32 gvwr and 42 gcvwr
loaded with the truck and trailer....5760 truck(1/4 tank of fuel), plus 2100 trailer puts us at 7800 leaves a bit of wiggle room and i run on the hitch ball a weight of 600-800 lbs depending on how much fuel we have in the truck
i am a firm believer in weighing everything and having a plan to manage the weight.

This may seem like a silly question, but how do you weigh everything. I've head of going to a truck stop and using a truck scale. How do you use them? are they free or do you pay? Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #22

Quote:
This may seem like a silly question, but how do you weigh everything. I've head of going to a truck stop and using a truck scale. How do you use them? are they free or do you pay? Thanks
Any weigh station, garbage or metal dump should have scales.
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanopies View Post
Any weigh station, garbage or metal dump should have scales.
i use our local feed store scale, they only charge a fee if your getting a cert weight($5.00).
which makes it very user friendly, and allows us to tie up the scales for more than a few minutes. then reset and weigh again .
imo it sort of encourages one to "weigh before you go" another big advantage is they are closed on Sundays, but the readout can be seen from outside, so you really can take all the time you need

they recently switched over to a digital readout, before it was a weight arm and the operator had to manually move weights around. if the dogs would run back and forth the scale arm would wiggle