Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Bestop bumper on jeep wrangler towable?

Buying a wrangler and rather than buy baseplate plan to replace bumper. Searched and saw some used the rockhard bumper.The Bestop bumper Bestop is available locally, cheaper, weighs less and looks better imho but is 3/16 inch thick, the rockhard is 1/4 inch thick. Wondering if it would be strong enough and bracket attachment. New to the rv and towing world, is the spacing of brackets critical?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have towed a couple jeeps from a couple bumpers. Ensure the bumper is tied into the frame well. If using the Blue Ox brackets backing plates are included to beef up the bumper material. If towing from the D'ring loops ensure they are really well welded into the bumper. I have done both the BO brackets and the D'ring loops. I like the BO brackets because I don't have to remove my D'rings to connect up the tow setup. The BO brackets come with spacing recommendations. Make sure you allow room to get the pins installed/removed.

However you do it, towing from the bumper is preferable to installing a base plate. IMHO.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have towed three Jeeps with 3 different motor homes since 1998. I use a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar and mounts. I replaced the front bumper on all 3 with a Warn bumper the Roadmaster mounts are designed to fit. I have used the same towbar and mounts without any problem since 1998. Total reliability.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #4

On the rockhard bumper the tow mount (blue ox) through bolt directly into the frame and not just the bumper. I didn't want to pulling all the weight through the bumper. Something to think about....
Boostable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #5

I second what Boostable said... I chose the Rockhard, despite added cost, because the tow points are bolted directly to the frame. If you are confident in the weld quality then maybe connecting at the D ring mount is ok, but cheaper is cheaper for a reason - maybe just thickness of material, but I'd also be wary of cutting cost of I'm not darn sure of quality of those welds over a long haul. Do what you are comfortable with, and I'm sure you'll be fine - just walking through my thoughts when I chose a bumper 2 months ago...

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #6

Thanks everyone, I see your points. Rockhard on order.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use a Warn bumper and have a winch on both Jeeps. Roadmaster makes several types of mounting brackets. I use the XL model on all of them because in some Jeep models, this is the only after market bumper they design the XL brackets to work with. Work with does not mean the tow bar mounts to the bumper, the XL mounts direct to the frame. I saw somewhere some people said they replaced their Roadmaster Stowmaster after 10 years. So I decided to replace my Stowmaster, safety cables, and power cable and ordered those items today. Eighteen years of service represents a high quality durable product!

TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow