Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
cwg

At a FMCA rally last year when the prototype crossover vehicles were introduced by General Motors, a representative stressed both the front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive versions of the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, and Buick Enclave would be flat towable.

Assuming that fuel economy is not a factor (AWD is supposed to get around 24 mph and the FWD version is roughly 26 mph, or close to those figures), does anyone have an opinion as to which version would be more desirable to tow? Obviously two miles per gallon is a consideration in today's world, but is there a definite towing advantage to either configuration?
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
cwg

At a FMCA rally last year when the prototype crossover vehicles were introduced by General Motors, a representative stressed both the front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive versions of the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, and Buick Enclave would be flat towable.

Assuming that fuel economy is not a factor (AWD is supposed to get around 24 mph and the FWD version is roughly 26 mph, or close to those figures), does anyone have an opinion as to which version would be more desirable to tow? Obviously two miles per gallon is a consideration in today's world, but is there a definite towing advantage to either configuration?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #3

I cannot see an advantage in FWD vs AWD for this platform. There is no transfer case to disengage. So from a towing standpoint, it's a wash.

You should consider the use of the toad as a 'driver', not a 'tow-er'. Living in the northeast, I prefer AWD. But if you don't expect to get into snow, then go for the FWD and improve on the gas mileage.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
paz

cwg, I agree with Pusherman that there is no advantage to either FWD or AWD as far as towing goes. It comes down to personal preference.

On one hand the AWD will cost more initially and will probably get somewhat lower gas mileage. On the other hand, the AWD will have better traction. Like Pusherman, we lived in the northeast prior to going full-time so we went with AWD. The crossover vehicles will never be star off-roaders like a Jeep or other serious 4X4, but the AWD could be useful on snow, loose gravel, wet grass, and sand. We avoid snow like the plague, but we have found the AWD to be an advantage a couple of times on loose sand and gravel.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #5

If the 4x4 could be towed without racking-up miles on the odometer, that would be an advantage - but as previously mentioned, it sounds like there is no xfer case?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #6

To the best of my knowledge most approved toads do not rack up mileage while towed. My Saturn does not.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #7

I realize this topic has been dead for a year, but, since I just bought a new GMC Acadia I thought I would revive the post. Both the FWD and AWD vehicles are towable four down.
bg1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
cwg

So Bill, which did you buy, the FWD or AWD?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:26 AM   #9

I purchased the SLE-2 AWD. I really didn't want to spend the extra money for the AWD because I live in an area where we really don't need it. There isn't a big selection of Acadia's available in my area. The dealer had seven of them and the FWD units were all SLT's. I wanted the bells and whistles so I had to go with an AWD unit.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm towing an Acadia SLE FWD model - the first Acadia to be flat towed (I have the original Blue Ox prototype base plates on it). Both the AWD and FWD are towable without mods and neither rack up mileage. Just put the key in Accessory and the tranny in in neutral and go. The GMC owner manual says to pull the IGN fuse to prevent battery discharge.

The only problem I have encountered is that the battery discharges despite what it says in the owner manual concerning removing the IGN fuse. Removing the IGN fuse does nothing - even the dash lights stay on. GMC said to take it to a dealer and the dealer consulted with GMC Tech Support. The official advice was to disconnect the negative battery terminal, which is impractical because the battery is under the rear seat. I have found a 50A main battery fuse that appears to do the job, but have not towed the car for several hours to see if it really works as expected. The downside is that we lose the clock and radio settings, but no big deal there.

I will be raising this issue with GMC and will report further here when/if I learn more or get better resolution.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
cwg

I had been experiencing the same battery discharge on my Honda Pilot so I had a "Toad charge" by LSL products installed which has solved the problem easily.

I will have it transferred for an Acadia or Enclave so as not to face the same problem again. I don't want the inconvenience of removing a fuse each time, much less removing a battery cable.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to say that I have a Toad Charge in my Acadia and it still runs the battery down after several hours. Apparently the load is greater than the 5A max of the Toad Charge. And the TC seems to shut down once the battery gets real low - maybe it thinks the battery is shorted or something and it is protecting the motorhome power source from overload?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 AM   #13

Gary, since I'll probably be towing my Acadia I have a lot of interest in this. How long does it take for the battery to run down? Can you stop every couple of hours and run it for a few minutes and keep it charged? Also, I was wondering if it would be about as easy to buy one of the small battery jumper thingees and just jump the Acadia when you get to your desination?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We towed for a couple days with no problems, but after that it was dead every day. I figure when the battery was fully charged it could hang on a bit, but we were just towing and going every day (not driving the car in between) and it got really depleted. Running it a few minutes every couple hours did nothing once the state of charge got low, even with the Toad Charge helping out. I suspect that it would have been OK again for a couple days towing if I had got it charged up to 100% again. I could have put on a good charger each night and brought it up to 100%, but I only had a trickle charger with me and it was not enough. I left the Toad Charge on all night but its 5A was not enough either, so probably would need a 10A charger.

I still haven't had a response from GMC on why this happens or if they plan to make it work as promised. My long email expressing my disappointment is probably getting handed around like a hot potato! My back-up plan is to pull the 50A Battery#1 fuse, which I hear is what they advise on the Outlook.