Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

Between a toad and a hard place

Have been researching dolly vs. flat, this site has provided a great deal of info. Back to basics. I've a 13 Kia Sorrento SX AWD, cannot be towed with or without dolly. Toyed with the idea of selling it and getting a new manual Jetta, hyundai etc. or keeping the Kia and find a cheap( relative) used flat towable car. Manual transmissions seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. Rather not have two cars. A new car sales manager told me he doesn't order manual cars because the residual lease value is so low. The Kia has been great, AWD in this area is almost a necessity. Seems a no inexpensive way out conundrum .
Opinions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #2

Find a new 2014 Honda CRV (15's cannot be toad) or a Ford Edge, Chev Equinox, or Jeep product.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not keep the Kia and try a rental car carrier for a few trips to see if you can live with it?

We rented a U-Haul dolly for 3 trips before deciding, due to the strong condemnation of dolly towing on the internet...but we did not want a car just for RV trips and the Mrs. has a beautiful car that gets fantastic mileage - just with a CVT, it had mixed reviews on flat towing (we're not risking it).

With personal knowledge, we bought a dolly and have had nothing but success.
Many folks tow a car on a car carrier. The car is safe, clean, and mileage free, with no modification or miles added to the car...and the car carrier will have proper and adequate brakes from the factory
Flat towed cars sometimes do not have aux brakes

After renting, if you hate having the car carrier, then you can ditch the idea and get a car that can be towed.
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #4

Wish the dolly were possible. The Kia cannot be towed with any wheels down. It would have to be a trailer, can't imagine dealing with that. Had camping trailers since 86, transportation obviously not an issue. Having a truck just to pull the toys had its own costs. Love the class A, don't miss the truck or the trailers. Older I get the more I like the KISS rule. Thanks for the advice
Old 03-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like you are pretty much locked in on manual trans foreign vehicles. There are lots of auto trans cars out there (mostly domestic) that can be towed four down. I just received my annual 2015 Dinghy Towing guide and would be willing to look up any car you have thoughts on.

We bought our 2011 Terrain (GMC) four years ago with reservations of its quality. With 65,000 miles under its belt, it has been a 100% problem free car. You might want to rethink the idea of trading your Kia in on something that can be used both for daily use as well as a toad.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy a JEEP with manual transfer case.

Seriously... Had you not gotten AWD,, the results may have been differnt... I know of no AWD vehicle that can be towed other than afull trailer (Flat bed).\

What are you towing with? Most diesels can tow 10K that should cover th KIA and a flatbed trailer.

Most gassers....Less than 5k.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #8

had the same prob with my JeepWrangle2wd - traded
for a certified used 14FordFiestaSE FWD auto -
just put in neutral and tow! (4 down of course - BlueOxAlpha)
Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #9

AWD does not automatically preclude towing 4 wheels down. We have a '13 Buick Enclave AWD and the owner's manual says it can be towed 4 wheels down at speed less than 65 mph with no issues.

That having being said, I'm wrestling with the same quandaries. I don't really want to pull the Buick around because not only is it big and heavy, I don't want to add the mileage on the drive train, engine running or not. That thing was EXPENSIVE, and I don't want to have to replace it any time soon. LOL.

Our other options are;
1. Pulling my 1959 Apache on a dolly, but it has a modern 5.3L LSx with an automatic OD trans, so some of the same reservations apply. Or,
2. Buying a trailer large enough to put the Subaru WRX (also all wheel drive) on, but I'm looking at 5,000 lb. between trailer and car to do that. Or,
3. Buying a smaller single axle trailer to haul the GL1800 Goldwing on. The biggest drawback with that is what to do with the fur babies should we have to abandon the RV in a breakdown situation. Or,
4. Buying a Toad specifically for one application and paying insurance and registration fees on a vehicle that won't get used a lot.

I still haven't come up with a solution. LOL. I could sell the WRX, but it's my wife's baby. At 14 years old, it has less than 100,000 miles on it and still looks brand new. Although it would sell in a day, realistically it's not worth more than $5,000-$7,000, and what are we going to buy with that money that could replace that reliable, fun little car?
Realistically, buying a motorcycle trailer seems the best option at this time. But I hate thinking about having to leave the "kids" in the coach should we have a breakdown.

Decisions, decisions.

What say you all?
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Isn't the WRX a manual transmission? If so it can be towed 4 down. Specs should be in the owner's manual.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
Realistically, buying a motorcycle trailer seems the best option at this time. But I hate thinking about having to leave the "kids" in the coach should we have a breakdown. Decisions, decisions. What say you all?
Buy a small enclosed mc trailer for the 'Wing. If needed it could become a "dog house" and would provide protection/storage for the GL on the road.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Isn't the WRX a manual transmission? If so it can be towed 4 down. Specs should be in the owner's manual.
Nope, believe it or not, it has a 4 speed automatic in it. My wife was tired of shifting when we bought it new. We test drove a 5 speed sedan and a sport wagon auto. I guess she likes it; she still has it. LOL
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Any Jeep you can put the transfer case in neutral. Ditto Durango.
Any manual Subaru.

They tow well, will go anywhere in any weather, provided you don't put thin sidewall street tires on it as so many are wont to do these days (why do people buy a 4x4 and then put tires on it that won't go in a 1/2" of snow?)

Any manual Subaru.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #14

We are in the same boat and are leaning towards buying a new Jeep. I really don't want another car right now and we have a Camry Hybrid we could dolly tow, just not sure about it. We did try to rent cars while out on the road and it didn't work well for us. Seems either they were way too expensive or just weren't available where we were. Or maybe we were just doing it wrong?

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, toad