Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #1

Beware of the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee as a Toad

When the new Jeep Cherokee for 2014 came out, I was thrilled. The Grand Cherokee had gotten too big and expensive as a toad (I had previously towed two different ones, a 96 and 02) and I wanted to replace my Escape with a Jeep. The new Cherokee replaces the Liberty and gets 28-31 MPG and seemed perfect as a toad. I test drove the Trailhawk and noted the neutral setting in a 4x4 and figured that transmission was standard in the Cherokee. It's not. I ended up buying a Limited and when I got in the driver's seat, I noticed no neutral setting on the four-wheel driver switch. I checked the manual and bigger than Stuttgart, the 4x4 Cherokee I bought CAN NOT BE TOWED four wheels down. There are two different drive trains and the one I bought has no neutral setting and cannot be towed. It never crossed my mind that Jeep would make a 4x4 that could not be flat towed but that's the case. Luckily, I'm in no immediate need of a toad and my plan is to trade my wife's car (she's loves the Cherokee and has taken control) for a Ford Ranger, 4x4 with manual transmission. I've always wanted a little pickup and a used Ranger is probably more suitable for towing anyway. Just wanted to share the experience -- if you are in the market for a new 14 Cherokee as a toad, pay close attention to the select-a-trac switch and make sure it has a neutral option.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #2

Lynxgolfer, just to let you know, I have a Blue Ox tow bracket, and the Ford nuetral tow kit for a Ranger. It fits 2007--2011 Rangers if you need one for those years.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

You have to have Active Drive II which is only available as an option on the Latitude model. Active Drive Lock on the Trailhawk also works for a towable. My local dealer has a dozen Cherokees in now but non of them have Active Drive II. I think I will wait until spring before looking at them seriously.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
You have to have Active Drive II which is only available as an option on the Latitude model. Active Drive Lock on the Trailhawk also works for a towable. My local dealer has a dozen Cherokees in now but non of them have Active Drive II. I think I will wait until spring before looking at them seriously.
Geez bought the wrong one. Been discussed on here and even on Jeep web site.

Thansmission option is also on the Limited and comes standard on the Trailhawk.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 99 cherokee was and my 06 liberty is stick shift with a manual transfer case.Anyone know if this setup is available on the new cherokee? That must have been a b--- buster to find out you couldnt tow your new tow car.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Lynxgolfer, just to let you know, I have a Blue Ox tow bracket, and the Ford nuetral tow kit for a Ranger. It fits 2007--2011 Rangers if you need one for those years.
I may be interested in your bar and switch. Will the bar fit a crew cab? is the switch a difficult install?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
My 99 cherokee was and my 06 liberty is stick shift with a manual transfer case.Anyone know if this setup is available on the new cherokee? That must have been a b--- buster to find out you couldnt tow your new tow car.
No manual available.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Geez bought the wrong one. Been discussed on here and even on Jeep web site.

Thansmission option is also on the Limited and comes standard on the Trailhawk.
When I talked to Blue Ox they were making a baseplate for the Latitude and Trailhawk. Don't know if that would fit a Limited.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I was in the Demco Fit program , I was their quiena pig and got it free I came home from Iowa yesterday,
Actually they need two the Trailhawk and all others

Really has a nice look and I was really impressed with the amount of metal in the brackets.

They are doing a trailhawk next week and hope to have them out the first of the year..

rream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad