Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Roadmaster makes a dual hitch. The toad connects to the bottom hitch, the bike rack to the top hitch. I only carry 2 bikes, but do not come close to hitting the toad with the bikes. You would have to check clearances for a 4 bike rack. I use the high rise portion for the bikes. This is also the best price I have found for this hitch.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
Roadmaster makes a dual hitch. The toad connects to the bottom hitch, the bike rack to the top hitch. I only carry 2 bikes, but do not come close to hitting the toad with the bikes. You would have to check clearances for a 4 bike rack. I use the high rise portion for the bikes. This is also the best price I have found for this hitch.
I have the same with a 2" drop (for toad) and 4" rise for bike rack. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet but my 2 bike platform carrier might have a problem in tight turns. I've also read in a couple posts that bikes on the back of a DP get dirtier from engine "gunk". I don't know about that specifically. When I get the chance I want to take the MH and bike rack out to a parking lot and see if I really have a problem. I would consider adding a stinger and/or longer tabs if it would fix that issue.

Still, even after that I would have to find out by trial and error if the DP tossed too much gunk on them. HOWEVER...I THINK I MIGHT be able to leave my bike cover on if the rack is on the back of my MH. The bike doesn't block my tail lights.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #17

Swagman makes a nice bike rack. Since the tires seat into tracks, they don't wobble around so much. I've got a similar two bike rack and have been well pleased.

Swagman XTC4 4-Bike Carrier for 2" Hitches - Platform Style Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64665
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Swagman makes a nice bike rack. Since the tires seat into tracks, they don't wobble around so much. I've got a similar two bike rack and have been well pleased.

Swagman XTC4 4-Bike Carrier for 2" Hitches - Platform Style Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64665
I like that rack and considered it. I just liked the Saris better since it holds the bikes by the tires. I never considered the need to have the upward canted setup for my needs but I think the OP might find that rack a strong contender for his concerns. Wish I had remembered that one and tossed that out as an option.

Good job!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have owned several bicycle racks that mount in a receiver hitch, and ALL went up at the hitch raising the bikes a at least 18" above the receiver level ...did not extend straight out. Basically, if the hitch won't drag the rack/bikes won't drag. My Honda Odyssey is pretty close to the ground and I would use a hitch rack if needed. I carry mine inside the Honda ...exactly why we got an Odyssey for a toad.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
We tow a Dodge Caravan on a Tandem Tow Dolly with a Class III after market hitch and a bicycle rack attached in the hitch with two bicycles. It's no problem with it hitting the ground. It would have to be a pretty extreme dip that you crossed before it touches the surface. Should be no problem for you.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
I also have a moon roof to think about..I need to see if anything will rest on it.
Most roof racks with bike carriers span the moonroof and fasten at the door opening or rain gutter. (if so equipped)

With any hitch or bumper carrier, you must be mindful of it's flex. The long overhang on an RV can cause the rack to wobble or flex to the point of failure or serious bike damage. I only use the type that actually 'lays' against the trunk or window to hold the bikes firmly. I also use a rooftop rack for a kayak and bikes that holds everything securely and doesn't ride on the moonroof.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The dual receiver has been mentioned, the following is a photo of my setup using that approach. I normally carry two bikes but can haul up to four.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I have been contemplating this for a while. We have a 2010 Dodge caliber for a toad. Since our kids are growing that means the bikes are getting bigger. In the past we were able to put the bikes in the basement but we are running out of room. My question is this....can I put a bike mount on the back of the caliber? The concern I have is that we dolly the toad and I am concerned it may hang to low. I prefer not to hang them on the ladder. Any suggestions? We have a total of 4 bikes.
I use to have a Buick Century I towed on a dolly, I had the bike rack modified at a trailer shop, they basically changed the bike rack to immediately as it came out of the receiver hitch. I learned the hard way coming out of a parking lot and the bike rack broke off prior to modification and I lost bike rack and three bikes on a busy thoroughfare, thankfully no one was hurt.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #24

That's exactly what I was afraid of. Thank you for all of your advice and tips. I still think putting 2 inside the car will have to be an option for now.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My rack looks similar to that pictured on the back of the MH using the dual hitch. I added a larger gas grill cover that covers both bikes. This eliminates most of the grime from getting on the bikes. I also use bungee cords to assist holding the cover on at highway speeds. Never lost the cover yet, and never even came close to hitting the bikes with the toad, even with more than 90 degree turns. As I said, this was with 2 bikes, not 4.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #26

If you have an RV ladder, you could consider hanging 2 of the four from a ladder bike rack.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #27

We did that on our first MH...I'm not sure if my OCD will let me travel like that with our newer one....lol
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #28

Quote:
We did that on our first MH...I'm not sure if my OCD will let me travel like that with our newer one....lol
I just think of the bikes as 2 of the 10,000 or so components that could fly off the coach at any time .

Tags
toad