Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
Well it looks like I will have to stuff 2 bikes in the car and look for another option for the other 2.
Why? We have put 4 bikes on our rack on the back of the toad and traveled many miles with the bikes on the back of the toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleetwood, Kia.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	58852  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #30

I guess I am worried that hitch will drag once the car is up on the dolly.

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #31

Bike Rack on Toad

Thought I would throw my 2 cents into this discussion. I was about to purchase a Hollywood Sport Rider 2 bike hitch rack for my Honda CRV through etrailer.com. I happen to click on the PDF file for Installation Instructions. At the beginning of the instructions, it states " Not to be used on any trailer, fifth wheel or vehicle being towed by another vehicle." Stopped me in my tracks... This rack is similar to many other hitch racks, so logically all other racks would not be permitted on vehicles towed behind motorhomes. Yet I see thousands on the road. I am waiting a response from their technical staff. I can't see why there would be a problem here.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey yall, let me share my limited wisdom with you. Every single year I have tired out a new bike rack in search of the holy grail of bike racks.

Never ever buy a bike rack that hangs you bikes, just say no to that. Have a Yakima in my garage that fits into a receiver hitch where the bikes sit on top and hang down. Bigest PoS ever made. Not to mention, it broke my entire bumper. The bikes basically bounce all the way down the road, witht the weight jaring your hitch with every bump. Worst part is, they all try to hold you bikes in place with these worthless ruber band things that break. The bumper manufacture could not believe that I sheared the receiver tube off the bumper.

Have a Swagman XTC4 that was posted up earlier, that is a pretty good bike rack, highly recomend. Not perfect but bettter than any hanging bike rack. The bikes are supported from below which is a much better way to go. Also the locking hooks/brackets are very secure. Still have the bouncing pressure/weight while going down the road, but not the worthless rubber bands.

Last but not least, and not really sure what you call it, but its make by Yakima. Basically the bikes are locked into place by the wheels. This is my prefered method now. Took some McGuyvering to get figured out, but worth the trouble.

I have basically tried every way possible to haul bikes. This is by far the best method. Obviously those without a trailer can't do the same, but if you are going to haul bikes by your hitch, use the Swagman.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Hey yall, let me share my limited wisdom with you. Every single year I have tired out a new bike rack in search of the holy grail of bike racks.

Never ever buy a bike rack that hangs you bikes, just say no to that. Have a Yakima in my garage that fits into a receiver hitch where the bikes sit on top and hang down. Bigest PoS ever made. Not to mention, it broke my entire bumper. The bikes basically bounce all the way down the road, witht the weight jaring your hitch with every bump. Worst part is, they all try to hold you bikes in place with these worthless ruber band things that break. The bumper manufacture could not believe that I sheared the receiver tube off the bumper.

Have a Swagman XTC4 that was posted up earlier, that is a pretty good bike rack, highly recomend. Not perfect but bettter than any hanging bike rack. The bikes are supported from below which is a much better way to go. Also the locking hooks/brackets are very secure. Still have the bouncing pressure/weight while going down the road, but not the worthless rubber bands.

Last but not least, and not really sure what you call it, but its make by Yakima. Basically the bikes are locked into place by the wheels. This is my prefered method now. Took some McGuyvering to get figured out, but worth the trouble.

I have basically tried every way possible to haul bikes. This is by far the best method. Obviously those without a trailer can't do the same, but if you are going to haul bikes by your hitch, use the Swagman.

The Swagman XTC4 weighs 60LBs compared to 30LBs of most other insert style bike racks adding more stress to the rear trailer hitch. You admit they all will bounce. I'd rather have less weight bouncing on one hitch insert versus more weight. It doesn't matter what type of rack you insert into the hitch because they all are supported at the same point, the rear insert hitch supporting all the weight, less weight is the solution, not more. Just my 2 cents.

A simple solution would be a roof rack to use to attach tie down straps from the bike rake up to the roof rack for added support.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
I'd rather have less weight bouncing on one hitch insert versus more weight. It doesn't matter what type of rack you insert into the hitch because they all are supported at the same point, the rear insert hitch supporting all the weight, less weight is the solution, not more. Just my 2 cents.
You are correct Phillip, had no idea how much either weighed until you pointed it out. Still feel the Swagman is better because it locks your bikes in place, whereas the hanging one lets your bikes swing back and forth and it does not use those rubber bands to hold your bike in place.

Obviously if you already own a rack, no point in buying another, however if you don't own a rack, the Swagman is the way to go.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
I guess I am worried that hitch will drag once the car is up on the dolly.
Maybe you should? LOL On occasion my Saris will drag on a steep drive entry. Surprised me the first time.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
You are correct Phillip, had no idea how much either weighed until you pointed it out. Still feel the Swagman is better because it locks your bikes in place, whereas the hanging one lets your bikes swing back and forth and it does not use those rubber bands to hold your bike in place.

Obviously if you already own a rack, no point in buying another, however if you don't own a rack, the Swagman is the way to go.
The more I thought about it the roof rack idea with the tie down straps may be ticket to help with less stress on the insert. I agree The Swagman is a much better bike rack by far.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
The roof rack setup is what I have mounted on the front of my trailer, I just screwed the part that mounts to the rack to my trailer deck, but that is basically complete roof rack setup.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have wobble, rocking or swaying, on your bike or other hitch accessories Try this hitch stabilizer, http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm it's the third one I've tried and the only one that works! They only sell direct from their website.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anybody using ladder bike racks? They are inexpensive and seem to get the bikes up and out of the way?

FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad