Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
WDW

Bikes on Towed

We're still new and this will be our first season with our towed.

What thought do you have about using a high quality hitch mount on the towed for two bikes as it is being towed behind our class A?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #2

We use the most basic Thule for 2 bikes........ I do plenty of tie downs around the bikes, plus a very heavy rubber bunge that I wrap around the upright about 1 ft up, and hook the hooks into the safety cable eyes on the hitch to keep the upright from bouncing around too much. We had the bikes on our toad for probably 5,000 of th 8,000 miles we drove our MH last year (given our trip, we may or may not take the bikes, as they are a bit of a pita to deal with......).

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
What you propose should work just fine. Just make sure tail lights aren't blocked by the bikes. If the bike rack works on the back of the car while driving, it certainly should work while towing the car!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
What you propose should work just fine. Just make sure tail lights aren't blocked by the bikes. If the bike rack works on the back of the car while driving, it certainly should work while towing the car!
Good point on blocking the toad lights. I do take off the front wheels of both bikes so that the tail lights are easier to see......... Yes, you have to assume that many of the clueless drivers won't see the tail lights of the huge motor home in front of the toad .

But on the other hand, I usually don't bother to take the wheels off if we are just drivng a short distance in just the Jeep with the bikes on the back, so I realize I'm putting myself at a bit of a risk then (on longer trips, take them off then too.....)
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

Well,
Everyone's got their idea of what works. Thule and X-Sport, make the cradle type bike carriers. That's the only kind I will have. I've never been a fan of the ones that make the bikes "hang". There's too much extra securing, i.e. bungee cords in all directions and more. On our X-Sport, I pop the bikes into the wheel cradles and, lower the upper clamps and, they're done. But, it's a preference thing.
We've used that rack now for about 10 years and it's still ultra easy and fast for carrying bikes. The Thule version is a lot nicer than ours due to it's ability to lower, with bikes on the rack, to the point that tail gates will open up.
Scott

P.S. You cannot see it very well but, here's picture of our rack on our toad, back a few years.

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:57 AM   #6

I've carried bikes in a rack similar to the one Fire Up has from OR to WV and back. I also have baskets for Honda 90s on the front and back of the toad (Tracker) and have carried them across the US and back. They do get pretty dirty back there if left uncovered.

As BFlinn181 says, just be sure the lights are visible.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few years ago going south on I-205 in Portland OR I saw a bike rack up against the guardrail with two bikes still solidly attached. Couldn't tell what broke, may even have been attached to a sewer hose/bumper on a TT at one time but the bumper wasn't there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
WDW, that's what we do and have had no problems in over 2 years.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
A few years ago going south on I-205 in Portland OR I saw a bike rack up against the guardrail with two bikes still solidly attached. Couldn't tell what broke, may even have been attached to a sewer hose/bumper on a TT at one time but the bumper wasn't there.
Must have been a good bike rack if the bikes didn't detach!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Hopefully you're flat towing.

Bike racks in the hitch when your car is on a tow dolly won't work. The rack will bottom out, drag the bike tires, bend the rim, and cause your spouse to question your brain power. I know...
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't forget to lock the bikes to something that cannot be removed. Also, but bungee cords or something through the tires and strap them to the frame. I had a tire come off one time because the quick release came loose. Have fun!
Old 03-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have bike carriers for both the coach and toad. Both work just fine but...

Most bike carriers void the warranty for carriers mounted on the back of an RV. I suppose there are couple reasons for that.

1. Bottoming out.

2. Momentum on a long overhang compared to the back of an auto can really make them shake more on bumpy roads.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #13

We haul our bikes on a Thule platform rack that is on our toad. I believe the platform rack (bikes are carried on their wheels as opposed to hanging them from the frame) is more secure and is less prone to damaging the bikes.

I run a cable through the safety chain hole on the hitch, through the wheels and frames of both bikes. This secures the rack and the bikes from loss.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We used a receiver hitch bike rack mounted on our toad (2012 Jeep Liberty) to carry to bicycles on a recent trip to Florida. While it worked OK - it was not what I would consider the optimal solution.

My issue with the solution can be explained as follows. I don't want to leave the bikes on the bike rack when we're using the toad for shopping and sightseeing unless I'm going to actually use the bicycles. None of the campsites we stayed on had anything suitable to secure the bicycles to. So, every time we arrived at a new location - I found myself unloading the bikes off the bike rack, pulling the tow bar off the back of the coach - and moving the bike rack to the coach's hitch receiver - then loading the bikes back onto the bike rack so that I could secure them to something "immoveable" with cables and locks. Of course, every time we packed to move - I had to do the whole thing in reverse to get the tow bar back on the coach and the bike rack back on the toad. We were moving campsites every week ... so this got old, quick.

I'm going to invest in a dual hitch receiver so that I can attached the bike rack AND the tow bar to the coach - and not have to move everything around constantly.

I think I'll also rest a little easier with my bicycles tucked safely between the coach and the toad. I can't help but feel they're a little better protected hanging there as opposed to be totally exposed on the back of the toad.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow