Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #1

Blue Ox 10K tow bar

I'm in the process of selecting a tow bar and will get one of the Blue Ox. My choices are the 7500# Aluminum Aladdin, or the 10000# Avail or Aventa. The Aventa uses a ball and socket swivel instead of pivot pins. I called Blue Ox and frankly the rep was less than helpful and informed. He didn't even know the weights of the bars. Stated the 10K wads 53 pounds. Specs show it at 46 I believe. As far as advantages I got a inconclusive answer. So I'll ask the experts, the actual users. I stopped at a local RV park and talked to one person who had one and he was happy with it. Somewhat of an overkill as he was towing a Saturn Vue. Better overkill than underkillED.

So what advantage does the ball socket have if any. Price for the Aventa is a few hundred less that the steel Avail or aluminum Aladdin so that's one. I'll be towing a 4K Jeep Wrangler and later a 5K Ford F-150. The 10K bars apparently are about 2" longer.

Thanks for the ideas and opinions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

I have the Aventa which came with the coach when I bought it used. I have no idea how many miles it had on it before me but after an Alaska tour and about 20,000 miles I decided it was time for a factory rebuild. So I sent it back to BlueOx and they found the weld holding the ball was showing signs of failure so the replaced the ball assembly and rebuilt the rest of the bar. Under $200.
If I were going to buy a new bar, I would stay with the Aventa or might consider the Avail if I were going to a larger vehicle. Both are rated at 10,000 lbs.

Either one of these are easy to connect and disconnect. BlueOx claims the Avail is a Non Binding bar but I have had to unhook a couple times while in the middle of a tight turn and by merely turning the toad wheels back and forth, managed to unhook without any issues.
The Avail, as I understand, is longer giving a shorter turning radius especially for larger vehicles such as the F-150.
I don't like the construction of the lighter bars regardless of the fact they should be able to handle my CRV. They might be OK but not for me.

Hope this helps. BTW, very surprised to hear the person at BlueOx was of little help. I have not found that at all in the few times I've called them.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #3

I have the Aventa also and I tow a Honda CRV at around 3500 pounds. The bar weighs around 42 pounds and I have around 15,000 miles on it. I had the aluminum Aladdin Towbar that came with my coach, but an inspection of the bar while we were touring the blue Ox plant showed the bar was in need of several hundred dollars in repairs. I could tell the Aladddin had been neglected from the shape it was in and Blue Ox offered me a nice discounted price on the new Aventa bar and I have been happy with it.

As far as advantages, both the Aladdin and the Aventa to me are about the same.

I like the color of the new Avail bar!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

I tow a 2015 F150 with the Avail towbar. It works great. The longer arms on the bar allows them to spread out for the wider distance between the baseplate on the F150 but still allow the truck to stay far enough back to turn without getting too close to rv.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Aventa II with well over eight years and 60,000 miles of towing our 4,000# Ford Taurus X. No problems. We went by the Blue Ox plant in Pender, NE last spring to have the tow bar inspected and serviced. No significant issues discovered. It was completely disassembled, cleaned and lubed, some minor items replaced - don't remember the specifics and the receipt is not immediately available. They also gave me replacement tow bar to base plate pins because the original spring lock pins had failed to stay locked and worked out in some cases. I had not seen any factory notices on replacing those hitch pins, has anyone else received any information on that issue? No overnight RV park fees and the standard one hour labor charge was all it cost.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
My Aluminum Aladdin broke in half. The aluminum is too light. Do a search here, a number of them have failed.

brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
My Aluminum Aladdin broke in half. The aluminum is too light. Do a search here, a number of them have failed.

That's ugly. That's why I'm seriously considering the 10K. Mainly wondering what advantages there are between the ball and socket and pivot hinges.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #8

I ordered the Blue ox Avail today. That will team up with the Blue Ox base plate, and hopkins wiring. I'm doing all the labor. Saw another post where a poster was quoted 4600 for a set up. CW here wanted over 4K for a Roadmaster set and I turned them down.

Now just to decide on Braking system. Will call M&G tomorrow to see if their system will go on a 2021 Jeep Wrangler and see what's involved with tapping into a Itasca on a Freightliner Evolution chassis.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Will call M&G tomorrow to see if their system will go on a 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Boy oh boy you sure plan ahead!

If you have any questions that I may be able to help with just ask. I installed the baseplate on our Honda and I also installed the M&G brake on our Freightliner chassis.

M&G was very helpful when I was installing the kit. I think you are doing the best thing by calling them.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Bigd9;2908084]Boy oh boy you sure plan ahead!

Well it never hurt to be thinking a few years down the road. But since the 2021 Jeep Wrangler will look just like the 2012 I have, I can save all the parts for the new one.

At any rate, as I was installing the base plate this morning, Fedex showed up with the Avail tow bar. About a week ahead of when they said it would be shipped.

Brakes soon.

Tags
blue ox, tow