Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #15

Not sure about Louisville, KY but I do know this week they are at a rally in Hemet, CA and Forest City, IA and will be at FMCA in Oregon. They do over 100 rallies all together.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #16

Oh-one, if you're not able to get the Apollo repaired perhaps your need to consider another brake. Blue Ox has the new Patriot which is really easy to use and has been working good for us. If you happen to get to one of their rallies, you can trade in your Apollo and get $150 off the Patriot. That's what I did and they bring it over to your trailer and install it too. Contrary to what others seem to believe, Blue Ox is still a good and reputable company.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #17

I believe the Louiville rally is run by Camping World and don't think Blue Ox will be there. I know they usually attend rallies that support their dealers. I know they attend around 100 rallies during the year though and will be at FMCA in Oregon beginning of August.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #18

I have had (and continue to have) terrible problems with Blue Ox customer service regarding a new Patriot braking system. Using the product on the first (and last) voyage we had the unfortunate experience of constant dead batteries (even after fuse removal recommended by GM) and the braking system on our new toad burned up to the tune of an $1,800 repair bill and an extremely dangerous on road situation. We have returned the unit to Blue Ox in an attempt to head off problems for others and are now being stonewalled regarding next steps and any remedies. Our last action was a certified letter to the President...still no response. Any others with similar experiences?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #19

JerryLS-- We just got a Patriot system also , but the problem we are having is that it doesn't apply enough pressure to do any good even when set on 9. Yes it will use your toad battery for power in order to work . therefore I installed a 12V feed from m/h to keep battery charged, That works fine. Blue Ox is working with me and are sending me a complete new unit to try and if it is any better.Maybe something in that the Enclave takes more force when no vacuum present. New one should be here by the weekend .
Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Blue Ox has always stumbled with their brake products, all of which were made by other companies and re-marketed with the Blue Ox logo. My opinion? Stick with their excellent tow bars but buy your brake units from somebody who knows that business.
Ditto,

Look at US Gear Unified Tow Brake, SMI & M&G. Very good systems.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Ditto,

Look at US Gear Unified Tow Brake, SMI & M&G. Very good systems.
Double Ditto,

These may be more expensive but are proven technology. Stick with what works and forget the rest.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #22

Got my replacement Patriot blue ox and it does work better than the original one.Think it will be OK now as it does create braking power that you can feel. I would have put the M&G on but in the enclave the master cylinder didn't have room to move ahead the 3" that was required without moving a lot of other stuff.

Jerry LS what happened to your system that caused that much damage??What type of toed do you have?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #23

GKnott Reply

My towed vehicle is a 2009 Buick Enclave 4WD. The brakes were apparently applied by the unit for a sustained period of time; the rotors, brake pads, and calipers were all burned up beyond repair and had to be replaced. The unit also drained the Enclave's battery on both days it was used. We do not know why this happened and the Blue Ox QC Department's report says the unit has no faults which they could find after we returned the unit to them at their request. After hearing of your experience of not having the unit apply enough braking force perhaps these are related problems. Blue Ox has not responded to my inquiries or registered letter. They will not issue a refund and they have yet to return the unit to me. I would use extreme caution in using these units and I have found it hard to believe the lack of 'Customer Service' being extended by the Company regarding this problem.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #24

JerryLS Sorry to hear about these troubles. They have been real good in working with us on our problem and as I said the new one works better. Now just have to hope it doesn't screw up like yours and cost us all these repairs. I will definitely keep an eye on the "Tow brake active light" on the RF remote and also stop and check brakes for heat frequently. How soon after you started using your unit did it cause the trouble? You mention only two days--Not good.
Talk to Roxanne at 1-402-385-2852 or Armando at 1-420-385-2855. They handled my problem in a very professional manner. Good Luck.