Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Blue Ox

I'm not into bad mouthing companys but I will tell you my experience with Blue Ox and you can make the decision to buy their products.
I have a Blue Ox supplement brake system for my Jeep. Recently it started leaking air from someplace inside. Its out of warranty and I told them that when I called and told them the part I needed as I took it apart and found out where. They informed me they will only repair it and not send out any parts. Very nice person on the phone informs me if I'm close to come and stay at their free campground and they wil repair it at a very reasonable price. So, I drive 200 miles out of my way to their location. I was treated very nicely and very professionaly. They took the unit to their shop then inform me it will cost $1080 to repair it. It had a broken this and a leaking that. I said it did not have any of those things wrong. They then tell me they will sell me a new unit for $1295.00. Why so much when I can buy one on the internet for $800 or so? I'm a cash customer sitting out front of their company and they want to charge me retail pricing. No thanks. I'm sitting next to another motorhome who is there to get his Blue Ox hitch repaired and he tells me they gave him a tour of their facilities and they do not even make their supplement brake systems, they farm it out to another company. There is no way they could repair it there. All they wanted to do was get me to drive out of my way, then try to sell me another brand new system. I went to the local NAPA, bought a 2 75 cent o rings and repaired it my self. So much for all the air leaks it had. I surely did not appreciate the fact they were trying to rip me off or they fact they lied to me about the repairs it needed. So, in short, buyer beware!!!! I will take my business elsewhere. Maybe you should to. Yes, I've tried to contact but no reply. so now I've said my peace. Thanks
George
two gone rvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing George. That's disappointing to hear. I've been a big fan of Blue Ox products but have never had to call on their customer support. This certainly doesn't speak well for them.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered a cable and plastic hosng from them for an older Blue Ox brake. 8ft of 1/16th inch aircraft cable and 8ft of plastic tubing was $70. That's the last I'll deal with them.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Blue Ox has always stumbled with their brake products, all of which were made by other companies and re-marketed with the Blue Ox logo. My opinion? Stick with their excellent tow bars but buy your brake units from somebody who knows that business.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Totally different experience for me with my Apollo. It started leaking air and running on and off whenever it was plugged in. It was out of warranty, so I called them and asked about how I get it fixed. The person I had on the phone said I need to ship it to them and they would fix it. Surprise, that's exactly what they did. All it cost me was one way shipping.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #6

Hey two gone rvn, Have you ever thought about givin up the air system brake and just goin electric? I know there are a couple around. I've been thinking about it myself. Not quite sure what to do though.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Blue Ox has always stumbled with their brake products, all of which were made by other companies and re-marketed with the Blue Ox logo. My opinion? Stick with their excellent tow bars but buy your brake units from somebody who knows that business.
I feel like you'd have a better customer service time if you go straight to the manufacturer since they would know what they are doing.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #8

I too had major problems with their Apollo setup. We bought one and it was fine for a year plus. Then they called us and said there was a recall on it. I sent it back, and got another unit returned, and supposedly upgraded, except it wouldn't work for more than a few days at a time. It went back to the factory three times, and never did work right again. Finally died a fourth time on the way to Alaska. Their comments were always a different excuse, and they never owned up to the fact that there were major design problems with the unit. Of course, they then replaced the Apollo with the Patriot. I hope it works better than the Apollo.

I use a Aventa LX tow bar and have found it is wearing at an excessive rate. I probably will go to another brand for the next one. We pull 20-30,000 miles a year.

Blue Ox doesn't appear to be the company it once was. Too bad, they used to have a superb reputation.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
My Applo sensors would not adjust. Simular to" Wilanddij " they had me ship it to them. They said they updated the unit no charge just shipping charge to send it. I've had my Appolo about 6 years, before I had a problem.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #10

Sorry to hear about everyone's bad experiences with Blue Ox. I was at a rally in Forest City last year and had my Aventa serviced. It's a $25 charge but the service tech replaced all the washers, rubber handles, and even a shaft. Then it was cleaned and relubricated. All this for $25 I think is a heck of a deal. My experiences with the company has been nothing but postive. I'm sure there are incidents where customers aren't 100% happy, but what else is new! My opinion is Blue Ox is a dependable company with quality products and has a dying breed of customer care. Don't be so quick to switch... I've been with others and they certainly don't measure up!
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #11

I agree with Dragonrover... if you have problems with a product go to the manufacturer.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #12

Hello two gone rvn, I have a couple questions about your experience with Blue Ox on your braking system. You mentioned that it’s out of warranty, so did you buy it directly from the company or did you buy it from a private owner? It’s been my experience with the Blue Ox service techs that they perform system updates when repairing and servicing… perhaps this was the reason for the extra costs? I’ve also been to their campsite and toured the plant. I guess if it were me and I was right there at the plant and that dissatisfied, I would have asked to speak to at least a supervisor if not the owner himself. I know Blue Ox is a highly reputable company and they go above and beyond to satisfy their customers…. I’m one of them.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #13

I have owned a Blue Ox tow bar and Apollo brake for 8 years. The tow bar is a good design and works fine, but the brake device has been a recurring problem with leaking air and short cycling so much it killed the battery in my towed vehicle. My last repair took over 2 months to get done, with several calls to Blue Ox. I was told that the supplier to Blue Ox did not deliver on time and the repairs were therefore delayed. I have so far had 3 different brake units with all of them failing within a short time. I will replace it with another brand if this one fails.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since we are going to the Louisville KY rally, I emailed Blue OX to see if they would be participating and servicing tow bars at the campground. It's my understanding they usually attend large, well promoted rallies/shows.

They did tell me that if I wanted to send my tow bar to the factory they would rebuild it for $95 plus parts. Does anyone know if that is a departure from their normal business practices. If so, it may indicate they are like other manufacturers/dealers, hurting from the recession. That could explain why they wanted to sell a new braking system to "two gone rvn".

Dave