Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #1

Blue Ox and protecting the Pin openings

Okay - this issue is beginning to be a problem and I do not have a reasonable solution.

This is my third (3rd) Blue Ox Base Plate installation on a vehicle to use as a Toad. In each of the other two those two little plastic protectors that cover up the holes in the base plate (when not towing with pins installed) do the same thing ----- they disappear.

Blue Ox sends more to replace upon request, but this is getting old. You never know just how long they will remain in place. I started wrapping the things in a couple layers of black tape and that did help, for a while. But the older they get the more frequent they disappear.

Just was wondering if you guys have found a decent, and viable option other than those stupid little plastic covers they supply. There has got to be something that will plug the hole, look good, and stay there for long term without the hassle.

Thoughts????

God Bless

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #2

I use trailer ball covers which are black. Helps hide the pin receptacles, keeps all the dirt and rain out and only cost 99cents each. Been using them for years with no prob.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #3

Do those things just or around the whole pin assembly? Cover up the whole thing?

And they stay put?

God Bless

Bill
Old 12-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Looking for the same thing. Thanks
Old 12-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I use walking cane tips - they are available at Lowe's, Home Depot in various sizes. Mine seem to stay.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

How about painting a proper sized cork black, or making a plug out of black silicon molded in a waxed paper form?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I use trailer ball covers which are black. Helps hide the pin receptacles, keeps all the dirt and rain out and only cost 99cents each. Been using them for years with no prob.
They cover and protect it completely, I've seen them red,white,silver and black. Some with logos and such. I've used the same ones since 2009. They will not fall off!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #8

I have been looking for a solution for some time and I contemplated making a set of wooden inserts on my lathe that are the same as the real tow inserts, except has a round front that I could dress up instead of the parts that stick out. But the Ball Hitch Cover solution seems much easier and practical. I have 2 toads the need the holes covered. I agree with those usless plastic covers supplied by Blue Ox. They are simply not a good option. I lost them right away.

I have inserted a wire brush attached to my drill to clean the debris out of the holes. The holes should be covered at all times.

One thing I noticed is the length of the tow inserts is not the same between different base plates. For example: The Tow Inserts that work with my Smart Car base plate will not work on my Malibu. The diameter is OK but the Smarty pins will not go in far enough to lock on the Malibu.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm on my second Blue Ox baseplate (Honda FIT and now CRV). Never covered the holes, never had a problem. Agree with previous poster that the pins are not the same length for each vehicle. I kept the pins when I traded the FIT thinking I could use them as spares. The CRV pins are much shorter.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Could someone post a picture? I've had my Blue Ox for 3 years and don't have any plastic covers. Mine are uncovered and never had a problem.
Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Me neither, mine evidently ride around naked but have never complained.

I would like to know exactly what these gizmos are? So if you have a picture of one with clothes on post it, please.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #12

I'm not saying you must cover your stuff, I just like my junk covered.LOL
Old 12-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler3041 View Post
Could someone post a picture? I've had my Blue Ox for 3 years and don't have any plastic covers. Mine are uncovered and never had a problem.
They are like plastic bottle caps that press into the holes. I think they may have been to protect the holes from paint during manufacturing and were never meant to be used as covers.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Muffin
I think the majority of us here are glad you keep your junk covered..

Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote