Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

Blue Ox and Toad Frustration

First of all I would like to say that I have used Blue Ox products exclusively over the years for my tow car needs. I have been very satisfied with them. For this reason I chose Blue Ox for my new Toad a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback.

While at the RV Super Show in January of this year I spoke with the Blue Ox Factory Rep and he gave me a list of items I needed to buy to accomplish the installation. He told me that the vendor in the booth next to them could and would do the install. I purchased Base Plate (BX2654), Taillight Kit (BX5869), Auto Stop Brake Kit (BX8893), and a Break Away Kit (BRK 3050). I then walked over to the booth next door and received a quote for installation.

When I called the install people to arrange installation I gave them the list of items I had purchased. They said they would not install the Taillight wiring kit or the Auto Stop Brake Kit because they did not care for them. I had chose items based on Blue Ox recommendation and these people are Blue Ox Dealers. They tried to up sell me the much more expensive systems.

I called another Blue Ox dealer/installer and he gave me a similar song and dance, saying he absolutely refuses to install the brake system. I then called Blue Ox to complain and they said I could use their Patriot System and gave me another dealer/installer nearby. I went to them and they admonished me for not buying the equipment from them. Telling me that if they did it they would not warranty the installation.

My frustration level is to the point that I have been studying the videos and instructions and may attempt the installation myself.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

Can you return everything and buy the equipment from a dealer rather than direct?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. I bought my stuff at the Tampa super show a year ago. It shipped right to me. Took it to the Blue Ox local guy in Naple FL and they installed all and much cheaper than I expected. Guess not everybody is the same.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

Naples is not out of the question. Please share the name of that dealer.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the road--look up Blue Ox dealer for Naples. It is a hitch and weld shop, nothing fancy but been there for years.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #6

Thanks, I did that and i decided after another view of the installation video to attempt it myself. I have a good friend who ia also mechanically inclined and we figured we could do it.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
Thanks, I did that and i decided after another view of the installation video to attempt it myself. I have a good friend who ia also mechanically inclined and we figured we could do it.
E-Trailer has two videos for the BlueOX on a 2012 and 2013. Watch them both. While it was the same installer, I learned different tricks from both videos. I found the 2012-4 was about 90%+ the same for my 2015.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

JoeCar, thanks for your advice. I have downloaded all your info on the battery disconnect and will use it.

In fact I "binge viewed" those two videos last night. There were subtle and not so subtle differences. I do have a few questions you might be able to answer. The instructions with the base plate show drilling the 1 1/4" access hole in a different location than the videos. Where did you drill yours? Did you remove your headlights? I have "shutters" on my Titanium, do I need to cut them like the instructions for the ST?

Next Tuesday (5 Apr) is my planned attempt day to do the install. If you can think of anything I might need to know please feel free to contact me.

Tom
Old 03-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #9

If you're talking about the holes to drill in the frame to install the plates I didn't drill mine. I tried and holy moly, that is some kind of super strong metal. I ended up using a cutting wheel and cut square holes in the very front end of the frame.

You have to remove the headlights to remove the grill surround. I installed a Roadmaster EZ5 and did not have to mess with the shutters. The baseplate mounted in front of the shutters.

If you have to use thread locker, I'd suggest you wait until right before you thread the nuts on before applying it. I put mine on and got distracted for a few minutes. When I finally put the nuts on it was a huge pain because the thread locker had setup some. It actually broke off the wires on the nuts before the nuts were tight and I had to fit a wrench inside the frame to hold the nuts. Not an easy thing to do.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a used 2005 Jeep GC in 2009 and started looking at options. I went to Camping World and their price including install was very high. I started doing some research. I found a good buy on a Blue Ox tow bar on Ebay then bought the base plate on line, the installation instructions were very thorough.

I did the install myself, not hard, just took time. I decided to bypass he existing wiring for the lights and just added extra bulbs in the tail light assembly, just had to drill the right size hole and snake the wiring harness from the front to the back. I installed the Brakemaster braking system and I found the correct wire on the brake pedal to wire in the indicator light mounted on my coaches dash (really like this feature as it tells you the brake pedal in the Jeep is being depressed).

I probably saved 1/2 by doing the install myself. Again, not hard, just took time.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
JoeCar, thanks for your advice. I have downloaded all your info on the battery disconnect and will use it.

In fact I "binge viewed" those two videos last night. There were subtle and not so subtle differences. I do have a few questions you might be able to answer. The instructions with the base plate show drilling the 1 1/4" access hole in a different location than the videos. Where did you drill yours? Did you remove your headlights? I have "shutters" on my Titanium, do I need to cut them like the instructions for the ST?

Next Tuesday (5 Apr) is my planned attempt day to do the install. If you can think of anything I might need to know please feel free to contact me.

Tom
I gave complete details in Post 36 of the "2016 Ford Focus flat towing"
2016 Ford Focus flat towing

To answer your questions here:
1. Access Hole - The front plate they drill through in the videos is Spring Steel. Very, very hard to drill through. The key to drilling with a hole saw is slow speed and apply as much pressure as possible. For 2012-2014, BlueOx had you drill through that front plate. The 2015-6 instructions have you drill on top of the side frame rails, which is just high strength steel. My good cobalt drills cut right through this for the bottom 2 bolts on each side. But for my 2015 I used the 2012-4 instructions and drilled through the front plate. I believe it is easier to mount the handle nuts via the front. So my advice is first try drilling through the front, and it you fail, then fall back to drilling from the top.
2. Shutters - no cutting. Only the Focus ST has to cut them.
3. Headlights - remove two screws and they come right out.
3. Read my "2016 Ford Focus flat towing" post 36, I gave some other good pointers there.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #12

Step one is complete. Thanks to Joe Car and hdoxmoss I installed the battery negative cutoff switch. Thanks Joe, I understand hdoxmoss is no longer with us.

Next step is the taillight kit. It looks to be challenging but quite doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459369329408.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	122734  

Tags
blue ox, rust, toad