Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #15

We looked all over for a new car. We decided on the new Ford Edge AWD. Can be towed all four down and blue ox makes the tow plate. Have already towed ours over 2k in less than a month and it is working great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a 2007 Ford Escape Manual Tranny. Good gas mileage, fun, comfortable and not too expensive

Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yudamann:
There are many online RV resources for towed vehicles that list vehicle weights, whether they can be toad "flat" or on dollies, maximum towable speed, whether an auxiliary transmission pump is required, or believe it or not, if you have to disconnect the drive shaft in order to flat tow. Manual transmissions and/or 4wd with transfer case that you can place in neutral generally work easiest. You also want to have an auxiliary 12 volt outlet that operates w/o having the igition all the way to "on" [just in the position to free the steering wheel] so that you don't electronically actuate the odometer and log miles while you tow even when you are not running the engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yudamann, please educate me about the auxiliary 12 volt outlet that operates w/o having the igition all the way "on"......... Where do I get one, the Ford dealer I dealt with have no clue how to tow without racking up the miles. Thanks
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #18

NCTom, most late model cars have electronic odometers that do not track miles rolled unless the key is in the full "on" position, just below the crank to start key position [the running posiiton if you had started your vehicle]. You don't want to leave your key there when towing or you accumulate miles on your toad even when it is not running. Also, in a lot of cars, this is the position that turns "on" power to the cigar lighter or auxiliary outlet. The key position just short of the "on" position is normally the position that frees the steering wheel to turn with the tire position, definitely where you want the key to be so that your front tires are free to tack behind you, and where the electronic ododmeter will not roll up the miles as you go. Now, if you have an auxiliary brake system in your toad [Even Brake, Brake Buddy, etc.], it will need power while you are towing to run the air compressor. You want to plug your 12 volt power cable into a 12 volt outlet that is always "on", say one for a cell phone or laptop. You don't want to plug into one that only is powered when the key is in the "on" [run] position as you will not have power at this outlet unless you turn the key one more notch to the "don't go" zone. Sometimes, the cigar lighter 12 volt outlet is always on and if so use it, or any 12 volt outlet that is always energized. I once, when new to towing, made the mistake of plugging into the cigar outlet and having to turn the key to the "on" position in order to run my brake system. Later I found out that I had run up almost 500 miles on my toad odometer by doing this. I still regret adding those miles to the toad. Hope this helps.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #19

Yes Sir, it sure does help. Even I understand it and I am on my way to the Ford dealership to educate a few of their employees. Thanks a million.

Tom
Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #20

You are most welcome. Would you happen to know anything about hooking up side view cameras [to see the blind side view when the turn signals are actuated] to the rear view camera system?
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yudamann:
You are most welcome. Would you happen to know anything about hooking up side view cameras [to see the blind side view when the turn signals are actuated] to the rear view camera system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FWIW, if you adjust your mirrors correctly you should not have a "blind side view".

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #22

Yudamann, No, I'm sorry but I dont know anything about hooking up side view cameras.