Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Blue Ox arm locking pins

I recently purchased a Aventa LX Tow bar and am out on my first trip. When I left the dealer with my car in tow both locking pins on the arms were locked. When I hooked it up at home for this trip only one would lock. On the way here I checked and one or the other was unlocked. My question is, should both arms be locked at all times or does one unlock to allow for turning?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4x4 View Post
I recently purchased a Aventa LX Tow bar and am out on my first trip. When I left the dealer with my car in tow both locking pins on the arms were locked. When I hooked it up at home for this trip only one would lock. On the way here I checked and one or the other was unlocked. My question is, should both arms be locked at all times or does one unlock to allow for turning?
They should be locked

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Both MUST be locked at all times. Make certain nothing presses against the lock levers.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

As soon as you put tension on them (pull forward a few feet), they will lock.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our hookup procedure goes like this: When the tow bar is hooked up, back up the towed car until (usually) one lever pops up. Then turn the steering wheel a half turn towards the UNLOCKED lever. Then drive the MH forward and the lever will almost immediately pop up. Both levers should then remain locked all the time we are towing. If you are finding that the tow bar is unlocking by itself then you should stop using it until it has been serviced.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #6

Good point Lweekly:

When doing a downhill hookup, I put my toad emerg brake on and pull away until the pins lock. I can see locking with my camera and can feel the lock click in, but regardless of having the brake on or not or seeing it is ok on the screen, I still pull ahead, then get out and double check everything is secure before I hit the road.

It is sooo easy to miss the locking process, the safety or power cables could prevent the lock handles from releasing. It has happened to me but my double check caught the error,
Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Okay, I know that they should be locked or there is a problem somewhere but my question is on "how" to lock the Blue Ox Aventa LX. I recently purchased one had everything is installed for towing but we have not towed yet.

Previously we had a Demco and the procedure was to hook everything up then back the TOAD up carefully until the lock rings snapped in place. If one did not lock, turn the steering wheel in that direrection and back up again. That usually would lock the other one.

Can the same procedure be used for the Blue Ox, or is it mandatory that the MH be pulled ahead to lock the system?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Attach the drawbars to the base plate while keeping the toad in neutral and if possible, with the E brake off. Once everything is attached, use your leg against the bumper or your hands on the hood and push the toad back until the arms lock in position. If only one arm locks, release it and push the toad forward just a bit, then turn the toad wheels slightly to the left if the right arm failed to lock and vise versa for the left arm, and again push back on the toad until both arms lock.

Dan
Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try when I hook up. However, I did once have to hold the TOAD back when I unhooked as I forgot to put it in park first. DW had to go pull the E-brake. Funny times a-happening.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Gents,
We've had two different style locking tow bars. One, the Stowmaster 5000 and, at present, the Blue Ox Aladdin. Neither of which has ever presented any issues for locking. About 99.99% of the time, we're level with both toad and coach during hookup. The procedure I have used for several years is simple and, has worked every single time, without fail.

All we do is, hook everything up, tow bar, cables, pigtail, and Ready Brake and then, do a light check. When all is done and ready, we get into the coach, fire it and, as I start to pull off, I watch the rear view monitor. I do a semi-sharp turn to the left, then one to the right. That puts individual tension on each arm, independently. When that happens, the locks have no choice but to lock. That is of course unless one of them has a malfunction. I check a lube them on a regular basis and the locking mechanisms are always in fine shape.

That procedure has never failed. Trying to lock a tow bar by hand is many times, futile. The reason is, as you all know, both arms are the exact same length. If the toad is off or, turned in the slightest amount, only the "Long" arm will lock. And the long arm is the one that would be on the "outside" of the turn. So, that's why the method I use creates a "turn", within only a few feet from take off. Just some info here, if it helps, fine, if not, no biggie.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #11

lock

You are fine just backing the toad up. If one doesn't lock turn toad wheel and back in the direction you need the bar to lock. Been doing it that way for years.

safe travels
Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Butch.

Many different methodologies that work. Just have to find the one that is comfortable. (And will not damage equipment.)
Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #13

If you towed it any distance at all and made at least one slight turn each way and both arms were not locked, there's something wrong with your tow bar and you should have it checked.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hook everything up with my towbar. Check the toad is in neutral, steering wheel unlocked etc. I then take off in my motor home you can feel when the arms reach the end of the travel. I have yet to take off anywhere that I did not have to hit my brakes within a few feet while pulling out of a rv park parking lot etc. I watch the toad to make sure that when I stop it does not have one side continue for a few inches. Some of the methods here might work very well to make sure you have them locked in. I noticed one person put his emergency brake on and made sure his vehicle locked both arms. I would forget to take the emergency brake off I am sure. Obviously you realized that one arm did not lock in so however you checked to make sure of that worked. Call blue ox and ask them what to do about it. Advice on here is great and helps but for something like this the manufacturer is going to make sure that you are safe.

Tags
blue ox