Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry for stealing your thread but maybe I will get an answer to my question here. I posted on another thread but no replies.

We just purchased the blue ox tow bar and since my MH is high in the back and our toad is low, we had to go with a drop receiver and with receiver and tow bar seems to me that it stick out to far. Just comparing what I have seen on other coaches. Should I take it back to where they installed everything and have them drill another hole so I can push it in further???

Again sorry for taking your thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150423_123957.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	92767   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150423_123940.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	92768  

BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #16

Barry, Here is a thread talking about what you want to do. I read somewhere that Blue Ox does not recommend drilling new holes, but I can't find it now nor can I remember why. I did drill new holes in mine for the same reason you mentioned.

Drill new pin holes in towbar stinger and new drop hitch?

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bigd9
Quote:
Barry, Here is a thread talking about what you want to do. I read somewhere that Blue Ox does not recommend drilling new holes, but I can't find it now nor can I remember why. I did drill new holes in mine for the same reason you mentioned.
That is what I wanted to find. THANKS!
Old 05-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #18

I have taken 3 trips using the new Avail by Blue Ox and it works as advertised. A different feel to it as you hook up and unhook, but no binding and since I travel alone a lot, it promises to make unhooking much easier. My Aventa was still going strong after 225k miles, but wanted to try the Avail. Glad I did.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Picked one up at the factory in Pender mid may - towed the Jeep home 330 miles with no problem It is heavier than my old aluminum one
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #21

Hey everyone.
I was trying to install the avail today. The 1/2" locking pins won't gona the way down. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am trying to get the base plates for a 2016 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch 4x4. I believe I am going to have to go to Pender at the Blue Ox plant to get them fabricated since they do not have plates for that model yet.
Anyone had any experience with that. I would have to travel from Arkansas so I may wait till I retire in May and hopefully someone else will get the base plates measured and fabricated for resale. They did say I get a free tow bar and installation and wiring kit installation, I just have to pay for the wiring kit
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #23

Sounds like a real deal! We were at Pender last year and they have a great campground. They are real friendly and give a plant tour. We had fun while there getting out tow bar reconditioned.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just purchased the new Blue Ox Avail, great features. Great sale price $740 then a $150 trade in from Blue Ox for my old BO. Not sure where they got the brown color idea from....

Bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

Where did you purchase the Avail for that price and get the trade in?

Thanks

Paul
pwhittle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RVupgrades...
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #27

Late to this thread, but since someone brought it up again...

We towed our Jeep with this model for about 3,000 miles this past summer. Super easy to use. Kind of heavy when installing it on the back of the RV, but no big deal. Chose this model just in case we decide to drag the Suburban behind us.

As for the comments about lining up, locking the arms, etc. This was the easiest thing to get sorted out. BlueOx suggests that you not leave unless at least one arm is locked. That's easy. Even on a downhill slope, you can gently ease the toad back enough to get one arm locked. Getting the other arm locked is the trick. All you need to do is turn the steering wheel of the toad in the direction of the unlocked arm. As you pull away, that arm locks instantly and within the first 3 feet of travel, every time.

Didn't count how many times I did this to lock the remaining arm, but it seemed like every time I was leaving somewhere. For some reason I do not seem to have the capacity to pull the Jeep into a straight line behind the coach ;-)

I do want to add that safety needs to absolutely be the first thing you think about when connecting and disconnecting your toad. I made a couple of amateur mistakes as we started out, but was lucky enough not to injure myself or damage property. Don't get crushed between your vehicles- sheesh.

My mistakes: 1)Disconnecting the toad without setting the parking brake or having it in gear. Yeah, it started to roll away. 2)Forgetting to turn on the supplemental brakes, and discovering that fact at the bottom of a 15% grade with a sharp curve and oncoming traffic. Heard the back door slam on that one.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetobite View Post
Late to this thread, but since someone brought it up again...

We towed our Jeep with this model for about 3,000 miles this past summer. Super easy to use. Kind of heavy when installing it on the back of the RV, but no big deal. Chose this model just in case we decide to drag the Suburban behind us.

As for the comments about lining up, locking the arms, etc. This was the easiest thing to get sorted out. BlueOx suggests that you not leave unless at least one arm is locked. That's easy. Even on a downhill slope, you can gently ease the toad back enough to get one arm locked. Getting the other arm locked is the trick. All you need to do is turn the steering wheel of the toad in the direction of the unlocked arm. As you pull away, that arm locks instantly and within the first 3 feet of travel, every time.

Didn't count how many times I did this to lock the remaining arm, but it seemed like every time I was leaving somewhere. For some reason I do not seem to have the capacity to pull the Jeep into a straight line behind the coach ;-)

I do want to add that safety needs to absolutely be the first thing you think about when connecting and disconnecting your toad. I made a couple of amateur mistakes as we started out, but was lucky enough not to injure myself or damage property. Don't get crushed between your vehicles- sheesh.

My mistakes: 1)Disconnecting the toad without setting the parking brake or having it in gear. Yeah, it started to roll away. 2)Forgetting to turn on the supplemental brakes, and discovering that fact at the bottom of a 15% grade with a sharp curve and oncoming traffic. Heard the back door slam on that one.

Great feedback! Thank you for that explanation and the forethought on safety. My toad will be a Tahoe, this sounds like it will easy stand up to the rigors. Good job to all.

Tags
blue ox, tow