Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladog View Post
I really like the " lock pins " its about the safest way you can do it.

Question for guys using the lock pins..... do the rubber snap covers over the locks keep out road dirt ??

I would assume if you got dirt in the key hole it could be a problem getting the lock to work properly.

Belladog, I've been using the Blue-Ox locking pins for 2.5 years and over 20k miles. The first black dust cap broke off after maybe 25 install/remove cycles and the other broke off about 20 cycles after that. I rinse the keyholes a couple of times a year with silicon lube spray, using a spray straw/tube to flush out the innards, and have never had any difficulty with the key fit or locking mechanism. I also use similarly constructed locking pins on my rv hitch receiver to drop receiver interface, drop receiver to towbar interface, drop receover to rv bike rack interface and dinghy bike rack to dinghy hitch receiver interface. I travel in a lot of sandy places and have never had a problem with any of these locks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladog View Post
I really like the " lock pins " its about the safest way you can do it.

Question for guys using the lock pins..... do the rubber snap covers over the locks keep out road dirt ??

I would assume if you got dirt in the key hole it could be a problem getting the lock to work properly.

They have for me and at every rally that Blue Ox attends I grab a few free dust covers. Solves the problem of them wearing out.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #31
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue Ox Aventa LX Failure w/ F150

I never lost a dust cover. I sprayed the locks with silicone and 303 on the rubber caps.
Now , back to the topic . Please

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Interesting. The manuals all show the hookup for this pin on the inside of hitch (which is where I have always put mine). But, my cable attach points are also on the inside of the attach tabs. I guess I will start putting them on the outside from now on.
My safety cables attach on the outside of the detachable base plate tab assemblies so I always place the attachment tabs locking loop and the hitch pin/retainer clip on the inside.

If you ever get a chance to be in Pender, Nebraska, Blue Ox has a nice full hookup, w/WiFi, campground free of charge if you are there to get service. They will completely go over the entire tow bar and base plate for a nominal charge ($35?) plus any significant parts your may need. I had a older tow-bar and when they took it apart they found abnormal wear inside and made me an offer to either rebuild my old one or get a brand new one for $200 off their cost.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #33

I guess a pair of lock pin will be on my Christmas list then..........
Old 12-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steined View Post
Thanks for the tip. I do cross safety chains but never wrapped them around the arm as I never had issues with them dragging. Now it seems it serves another purpose to wrap around the arms... Is that what you were suggesting? Thanks!
No, I just cross underneath..but don't wrap....
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Interesting. The manuals all show the hookup for this pin on the inside of hitch (which is where I have always put mine). But, my cable attach points are also on the inside of the attach tabs. I guess I will start putting them on the outside from now on.
Be aware. One of the mistakes I have made was putting the quick pin on the outside. The quick pin rotates and gets jammed. Then tools are needed to free it up and the spring became unreliable.

I just purchased the blue ox locking pins. (haven't used them yet).
Old 12-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
X3 on 70ChevelleSS and Bigd9 posts. Lynch pin on the outside.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Always insert the pin from the inside with the locking pin on the outside. Not saying that's what happened in your case but it's a definite possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
When we were visiting Blue Ox factory a year ago, the technician told us to place the Lynch Pin on the opposite side from the safety cable hookup point. Same thing for those Blue Ox Base Plate attachment tab assembly. He said that they had reports that the safety cable clamps or the hook could possibly unhook that lynch pin as you drove.
Are those statements contradictory? Since we have a BlueOx with this setup, I'd like to be 100% certain of the safest position for the retaining pin. I'd be very grateful for clarification.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
Are those statements contradictory? Since we have a BlueOx with this setup, I'd like to be 100% certain of the safest position for the retaining pin. I'd be very grateful for clarification.
No they're not contradictory. I said place the locking pin on the outside because your safety cables attach on the inside. My reply was directed to you and your setup.

I also said the safety cable can catch the ring on the locking pin and unhook it. So a more general statement would be to keep it on the opposite side of the safety cable.

I've towed an '07 Malibu over 7,000 miles using those pins with no issues. I lock the tow bar to the MH but never worried about locking the toad to the tow bar.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #39

I agree with what 70ChevelleSS said. It just makes sense to do it that way.

BTW Hank, and way , do you still have the 70ChevelleSS?????
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #40

I have a pair of pins which lock with a key. There a click when installing the key end so you know the lock is enabled. I purchased them from blue ox.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #41

BELLADOG I have towed about 6k mile in rain ect. and the cover seem to do a good job of keeping road grit out of the key slot. I also spray silicone spray in the key hole a couple times a month.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #42

I found this product on Amazon....stainless steel and no pin to loose or fall out.

Amazon.com: Master Lock 1415DAT Stainless Steel Pivot Lock Hitch Pin: Automotive

Tags
blue ox, vent