Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am thinking of getting a Blue Ox towing package installed on/in my 2007 Honda CRV and am wondering if either the Aladdin or Aventa LX is preferred? I have a price of $1700 for the Premium Towing Package (tow bar, electrical cables, base plate, safety cables, taillight wiring, and tow bar cover. Also the Unified Tow Brake installed for $1477. Are these prices within reason? Towing a toad is new to me so I have many questions. Hopefully the setup will be usable if I later get a class A.

Jerry J.
2006 Winnebago Outlook 25F

Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am thinking of getting a Blue Ox towing package installed on/in my 2007 Honda CRV and am wondering if either the Aladdin or Aventa LX is preferred? I have a price of $1700 for the Premium Towing Package (tow bar, electrical cables, base plate, safety cables, taillight wiring, and tow bar cover. Also the Unified Tow Brake installed for $1477. Are these prices within reason? Towing a toad is new to me so I have many questions. Hopefully the setup will be usable if I later get a class A.

Jerry J.
2006 Winnebago Outlook 25F

Old 10-22-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
paz

As far as the tow bar is concerned, I think they are both a good choice. The Aladdin is aluminum and is lighter weight, but it is only a Class III (5,000 lb.) tow bar while the Adventa LX is a Class IV (10,000 lb.). You only need a Class III for your CRV, but a Class IV would give you plenty of margin plus the option of towing something heavier in the future.

We have an Adventa LX because we used to tow a full-size pickup as our toad instead of our current Saturn Vue and needed a Class IV. It has worked very well for us, but if I were buying today, I would probably go for light weight since we no longer need a Class IV tow bar. With gas prices as high as they are, we are more likely to downsize our toad, not upsize.

As for the $1700 price, the Aladdin tow bar costs a little over $600 from RV Upgrades and the Advanta is a little under $600. A base plate will set you back about $360. Then there are safety cables ($45), electrical cable ($50), cover ($40), and a wiring kit ($50). The total cost of parts to do the job yourself would be over $1100. A cost of almost $600 for labor seems a little high ($600 is 8 hours labor at $75 an hour), but not unreasonable because an RV dealer will probably not discount the parts as much as RV Upgrades, if he gives you any discount from list at all. I don't know about the CRV, but I had to completely remove the entire front facia and headlight assemblies to install the baseplate on our Vue. The facia isn't too hard to remove because it's held on by plastic snaps, but you have to be careful you don't scratch the paint.

The wiring can also be a PITA to get it fished through and under the car all the way to the tail lights in the back. All in all, I think the price sounds fair, especially if you trust whoever it is that will be doing the work and if you're not comfortable taking on the work yourself.

Happy travels with whatever you choose.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know about the CRV, but I had to completely remove the entire front facia and headlight assemblies to install the baseplate on our Vue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the CRV also requires complete facia removal, and it's possibly more time consuming, resulting in the higher labor cost.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #5

I don't know about the CRV, but I just had my new 2008 Colorado done at Camping World from start to finish and it ran me $2700 with all discounts and taxes. I watch the guy (mike) do mine, he even skipped lunch (eat a piece of pzza while still working) and it took him 9 straight hours to complete the whole thing. I got the whole Blue OX package. I seen an add from SMI with the complete set-up not installed for $1700. The BrakeBuddy was the highest cost of anything. Give CW a call and see what the tell ya.

JAXFL
JAXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I use Blue Ox equipment on my 2008 Vue and it's very clean in appearance when I remove the tabs. For about $200 more you can get a brake that will sit under your hood and forget about it. My biggest sense of satisfaction is when I tow and not have to setup the box. I run and move a lot so the inconvenience of a box kills me.

SMI Stay-In-Play DUO! Great machine.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #7

I think the list price of the unified tow brake is about $1200.00 We got one for $800.00 and had it installed for $600.00 About $1400.00 total. If thats the price go for it. I had to look around a long time to get that price.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The only real benefit to the Alladin is the lighter weight of the aluminum bar. However, the Aventa LX isn't that heavy so I don't see the need for it. Also, while the Alladin is rated for 5,000 lbs, which is adequate for your toad, it will wear out faster. The aluminum lugs and fittings will have accelerated pin hole wear compared to the steel bars. The spherical connection on the Aventa LX is great. If it ever gets loose and sloppy one bolt takes it apart and you insert a fresh belleville spring packet into it and it's as good as new.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #9

We just returned from 4 month, ~8000 trip, used blue ox towing 06 saturn vue with 2002 holiday rambler gasser.

The only problem we had was with the actual tow hitch receiver on the motor home. Within ~2500 miles into the trip we had to replace the aftermarket hitch on the motorhome with a very heavy duty hitch that was bolted to the motor home frame in several places. We also reinforced the rear portion motorhome frame to strengthen the reciever/frame assembly.

This was not a problem or issue with the blue ox tow bar--as it performed perfeclty. The blue ox is easy to connect/disconnect etc and always engaged after driving forward a few feet.

On the brake buddy, we found it a great nuisance...and also not really sure it works. We found that we had excellent braking without brake buddy.

HEMI
Old 10-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought the Aventa LX and a baseplate for our Malibu on E-Bay, also the Apollo brake system. We saved quite a bit by comparing prices, and buying on E-Bay (all new!). I had our local bodyshop install the baseplate. I then went to a place that sells trailers, to have the wiring installed. If your not in a hurry I believe you can save $$$ doing a little shopping.
The Aventa isn't that heavy, and easy to use.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #11

There are lots of outlets that will sell you the towbar and accesories for considerably less than the prices quoted in this thread. Do a google. BTW: Most Blue Ox dealers do not actually stock those items. Blue Ox ships on behalf of their dealers direct to the consumer. Very reliable and prompt.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I went and had the hitch and braking system installed in (and on) my Honda because of the service dept. quality work and to just get it done. Cost was:

Base plate - $418.44
Coil cable bag - $27.99
Tow Bar Aventa LX-2 - $556.00
Recvr Lock Kit 3 - $64.00
6 Wire Flexo-Co - $82.89
Blue Ox Cover - $44.00
Wiring Kit - $63.99
7 to 6/4 Way - $17.69
Unified Tow Brake - $1107.00
Parts: $2382.00
Labor: $ 785.00

What is done is done. This is the first time I have towed a toad and it towed great. I had to go back to Service because the brake was too sudden when the brake pedal was first touched. After adjustment the brake was a lot better but since driving home (150 miles) I will play with the adjustment (at brake pedal). The braking feels smooth except at slow speeds and just before stopping. It seems great to just get in and drive and not have to move a brake system from between the seat of the Honda CRV and the brake pedal to be stored somewhere else. Obviously changing tow vehicles is a different story.
The first and only time unhitching was very easy and quick. Beginners luck probably. The parking lot was well lit and flat and parked in a straight line. Thanks for all the advice, suggestions, and help.