Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Jeff753 and KIX, the diodes are only in the turn signal wires and depending on the vehicle's internal wiring the front parking lights can come on with the tail lights.
Thank you very much for that info. I thought I only noticed two diodes. Can I put another in the tail lights? Would the parking lights feed the headlights enough to cause them to glow dimly?

Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #16

I'm in the process of setting up my 2013 GC as a toad. I just installed the TowDaddy diode system for the lighting. It was a little pricey, ($130) but it makes for a very clean install with a little work.
On another 2013 GC issue, the owners manual, (not the user guide) specifies that the negative battery terminal must be disconnected for towing. I read on another website that failure to do so will cause the odometer to log all of the towed miles, and drain the battery. Any 2013 GC owners have experience with this?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstar View Post
...On another 2013 GC issue, the owners manual, (not the user guide) specifies that the negative battery terminal must be disconnected for towing. I read on another website that failure to do so will cause the odometer to log all of the towed miles, and drain the battery. Any 2013 GC owners have experience with this?
Interesting... my 2012 doesn't have that issue. What section of the owners manual is that statement in?
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #18

2013 Owners Manual, Chapter 5, Page 592, #17. I don't know what changed from 2012 to 2013 to cause this. It doesn't say it in the User's Guide.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
2013 Owners Manual, Chapter 5, Page 592, #17. I don't know what changed from 2012 to 2013 to cause this. It doesn't say it in the User's Guide.
Since our manuals are different the chapter numbers do not match up. What is the chapter heading (i.e. Starting and Operating) and the section (i.e. Recreational Towing)?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm also in the process of setting up my 2013 GC. Has anyone used the extra bulb (Blue Ox recommended a separate hole and bulb for tail lights). Is there enough room for another hole? The dealer never mentioned anything about negative battery disconnect. That sounds like a pain and would probably reset all electronic user changes to the settings. Has anyone else towed without disconnecting the negative?
teddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #21

In my manual it is in the Starting and Operating section under Recreational Towing. I downloaded the 2012 manual and looked it up under Recreational Towing. Your manual does not make the same reference to disconnecting the battery cable.
Here is a picture of the 3 pages outlining the procedure in the 2013 manual. It is almost identical to the 2012 manual with the exception of item 17 on the last page. The manual goes on to outline disconnecting from the tow vehicle and includes a step for reconnecting the battery.
Jeep.pdf
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
In my manual it is in the Starting and Operating section under Recreational Towing. I downloaded the 2012 manual and looked it up under Recreational Towing. Your manual does not make the same reference to disconnecting the battery cable.
Here is a picture of the 3 pages outlining the procedure in the 2013 manual. It is almost identical to the 2012 manual with the exception of item 17 on the last page. The manual goes on to outline disconnecting from the tow vehicle and includes a step for reconnecting the battery.
Attachment 33777
This is interesting. In the 2012 manual this is step 12. Turn OFF the engine. Step 14. Shift the transmission into PARK and remove the key fob. This would indicate there is no steering wheel lock.
In the 2013 manual this is step 12. Turn the engine OFF, then turn the ignition switch back to the ON/RUN position without starting the engine. As you say this is step 17. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it away from the negative battery post. In this case step 17 makes sense because step 12 tells you to leave the ignition switch in the ON/RUN position.

However what doesn't make sense is did Jeep put a locking steering wheel back in the 2013 GCs? I doubt it. I think the 2013 manual is wrong. Just need some one to verify there is no steering wheel lock on the 2013 GCs, in which case you could turn the ignition switch OFF, remove the key fob and not disconnect the battery.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #23

if you do have to dissconnect the neg cable then just get a switch for it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy1 View Post
I'm also in the process of setting up my 2013 GC. Has anyone used the extra bulb (Blue Ox recommended a separate hole and bulb for tail lights). Is there enough room for another hole? The dealer never mentioned anything about negative battery disconnect. That sounds like a pain and would probably reset all electronic user changes to the settings. Has anyone else towed without disconnecting the negative?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Attachment 33777
You didn't state which model GC you have. Mine is a Overland with air suspension and if I disconnected the battery the suspension may deflate while towing. Do you have air bags or coil springs?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy1 View Post
I installed the separate bulb. I did not use the Blue Ox kit. I went to the local parts store and bought two sockets for an 1156 bulb. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the plate that separates the back up lights / brake light. Then enlarged the hole with a Dremel tool. On my 2001 the socket I had would not fit the way shown in the Blue Ox guide so I soldered it in place and it works great. I ran one short wire from the umbilical socket to the right front parking light wire. I then ran two wires, (right / Left turn/brake), to the back of the Jeep to connect the two new sockets.

I also disabled the steering wheel lock on my Jeep, so I do not have to leave the key in the ignition or disconnect the battery.
I use the Ready Brake cable operated supplemental braking system and when the brake cable pulls the brake pedal down, the brake lights and the third light on the jeep light up. There is no possible way to get feed back into the RV since the Jeep brake circuit is not connected to the RV at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	33782  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post

Come on over we'll do my 2012 Grand Cherokee too. They used diodes in my wrangler and the front parking lights come on when I turn the coach headlights on. The headlights on the toad glow dim when the coach lights are on too!
So I would use stand alone lamps.
They rewired my Wrangler and placed the diodes in the tail light assembly. No more dim headlights or fro. Arising lights on.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #27

I have the Overland with air suspension. There is no steering wheel lock.

Disconnecting the battery is creating a whole new problem for me in wiring the breakaway device. If I decide to use it, I will have to run a wire back to the neg side of the battery or come up with an alternative for powering the breakaway switch. I'm leaning more and more toward just leaving it off and taking my chances. Finding a suitable location to mount the cannister is another issue entirely.

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon installing the Blue Ox base plate. I have to say that the Blue Ox instructions on removing the facia leave a lot to be desired.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I have the Overland with air suspension. There is no steering wheel lock.

Disconnecting the battery is creating a whole new problem for me in wiring the breakaway device. If I decide to use it, I will have to run a wire back to the neg side of the battery or come up with an alternative for powering the breakaway switch. I'm leaning more and more toward just leaving it off and taking my chances. Finding a suitable location to mount the cannister is another issue entirely.

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon installing the Blue Ox base plate. I have to say that the Blue Ox instructions on removing the facia leave a lot to be desired.
I realize this has been beaten to death now, but I would be really surprised if your 2013 GC has a steering wheel lock, which would be the only major reason for disconnecting the battery. The other reason would be to eliminate parasitic draw, but that shouldn't be a problem unless you were towing for weeks without ever starting it.

I would suggesst calling the service manager at your Jeep dealership and ask if your GC has a steering wheel lock.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install