Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Blue Ox baseplate

I will be installing a Blue Ox baseplate, and I would like like to know if anyone who has a blue ox baseplate has had a problem with their toad not tracking straight and causing issues such as tire wear.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
I will be installing a Blue Ox baseplate, and I would like like to know if anyone who has a blue ox baseplate has had a problem with their toad not tracking straight and causing issues such as tire wear.
I use the BO Baseplate and Aventa Tow Bar. Never had an issue of not tracking straight. If there were tracking issues, I think it would be a problem with the tow bar and not the base plate.
I have heard of this issue with some systems that use a standard ball type tow bar but never with a Blueox.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #3

I have some side to side motion with my toad. I have the blue ox base plate. I posted my question about this hereSome side to side toad movement. The consensus is to add a hitch brace to the system, and based on discussion with a few knowledgable mechanics, some side to side motion is expected. I do not have any unusual tire wear issues. My base plate is fine. While the installation instructions could be improved, there are some youtube videos that will help you.
Bill
Old 05-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
I have some side to side motion with my toad. I have the blue ox base plate. I posted my question about this hereSome side to side toad movement. The consensus is to add a hitch brace to the system, and based on discussion with a few knowledgable mechanics, some side to side motion is expected. My base plate is fine. While the installation instructions could be improved, there are some youtube videos that will help you.
Bill
What toad and tow bar do you have? As stated, I have the Aventa and it is spot on.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
What toad and tow bar do you have? As stated, I have the Aventa and it is spot on.
I have the blue ox Alladdin and a 1999 Suzuki Vitara.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
I have the blue ox Alladdin and a 1999 Suzuki Vitara.
My bad, I did not look at your link before asking the question. I tend to agree with the comments referring to the overhang distance and the size of the toad. Kinda the opposite of the tail waging the dog.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have 2 toweds, both with Blue Ox base plates, Aventa tow bar, one is really heavy, one is light, both track like they should, no side to side, and tire wear is normal.

UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox