Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2006, 02:21 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an Apollo Luxor brake system, but have been thinking of changing to their Toad Stop II system. Although I know the performance of the Apollo system, I'm looking for user information based on experience with the Toad Stop system.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2006, 02:21 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an Apollo Luxor brake system, but have been thinking of changing to their Toad Stop II system. Although I know the performance of the Apollo system, I'm looking for user information based on experience with the Toad Stop system.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #3

As great as Blue Ox equipment is, I want to make maximal use of my Toad's brakes. That's why I installed the Unified Tow Brake in my Toad. I have nothing to turn on or test...just plug it in with the 7-way and it's done.

But, the best thing is that it doesn't apply dead brakes on the Toad...it uses the power brakes. The cost is approxiately the same as with the other systems and, for me, a much safer choice.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Silent Partner by SMI....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rebelsbeach,
As I understand it, the Silent Partner is a wireless connection between the moho and the toad. If so, do you still need an umbilical cord to power on the the toad's brake lights / turn signals?
Tx.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Canuck,the "wireless" part is the signal that is sent to activate the brakes.

The umbillical is still needed....

An air compressor under the seat is used to send air to the vacuum lines by using a "t"....

Ten pounds of air is all that is needed.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info on the SP.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
hawg6,

I'm sorry I missed your post the other day. I've been using the ToadStop II from Blue Ox since 2002. I am quite satisfied with it and there is nothing to do to it other than connect/disconnect the breakaway. The vacuum pump / actuator box sits in the cargo compartment of my Vue and is out of the way.

Being a proportional braking system, it applies only as much braking as is needed at the time, not only in panic stops.

Had a problem with the brake actuator cable fraying. Went to the Pender, NE factory for repair and the tech said it was mis-adjusted at installation at my dealer. There was no charge and we got a free night in their campground and a factory tour.

I have been a happy BlueOx camper.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ding-a-ling, I appreciate your positive response. Having had the unit I purchased, plus two other units Blue Ox has sent as replacements. Blue Ox has agreed to replace the the Apollo system I have with another system of their manufacture. Thought the ToadStop II might be an acceptable choice, but also thought the Apollo would have been a good choice. The only way to get the Apollo to function, other than in a complete panic stop, is to normalize it up with the front above level from 1/4 to 1 inch and than put it back to level for operation. Was told by one of the customer service personel, their boss used one and had to brake hard enough the dishes came out of the cupboard , before the Apollo applied the toad brakes. Would not be a bad system provided one could set the unit level, it normalize it, and use it within the eight sensitivity settings. The dealer I bought the Apollo from had only installed one ToadStop and did not know how it functioned, so your input is much appreciated. They also suggested a Brake Buddy. Thanks again for our response.