Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Blue Ox BX1122 base plate - Liberty frame damage

I noticed a small movement up and down while grasping the safety cable attachment holes on my base plate. I thought the bolts were loose, but inspection revealed they were tight, but the frame of my Liberty was torn, thus allowing the up and down motion by flexing the frame. The photo shows the location of the frame damage on the passenger's side. The driver's side was the same, but the horn prevented a good picture.

2005 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager, 2005 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox base plate, tow bar and Apollo brake system. All purchased new and accident free.

If you tow a Jeep Liberty, I suggest you check your base plate for up and down motion. Eventually this problem will lead to a breakaway while towing.

Email me at: budgetbuster@live.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Ox scan s.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	5294  
doug127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Have you notified Blue Ox of the problem? They may want to re-design the base plate if that can happen.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just installed a Roadmaster base plate on 2005 Liberty Jeep toad behind a 2003 American Dream with Roadmaster tow bar (Falcon). Used all parts except new base plates for Jeep. Using same type of hidden (EZ) hook up as on the Saturn SC2 that I have pulled for 5 years. I have always check the plates before toad and the roadmaster as alway tight. The new base plates that I installed on jeep came with Red Locktight to install on the long bolts that go into the body-frame. I have always used Red Locktight on all critical bolts that can work loose. I know they make different brackets for the different cars and also different types of hook-ups from hidden to just bars that are attached. Roadmaster makes some of the best bracket I have seen and the construction is way overkill on capacity, but the liability is great!

Tags
base plate, blue ox, frame damage, liberty