Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #15

I have a 2009 HHR am having a Blue Ox base plate put on it but have roadmaster tow bars. If I was to go to a Blue Ox tow bar system what is the best one to get. I need some help.
morphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphie View Post
I have a 2009 HHR am having a Blue Ox base plate put on it but have roadmaster tow bars. If I was to go to a Blue Ox tow bar system what is the best one to get. I need some help.
Keep the RoadMaster bars and get the adapters that RoadMaster sells. That's the cheapest way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had to replace my Roadmaster on 3, occassions and recently had to have the center yoke replaced. I think Roadmaster is a good company but the All Terrain doesnot live up to its hype.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before I bought, I went to each company's web site and read the base plate installation instructions. We have a CRV and the Roadmaster install did not require any cutting of the metal on the vehicle. Blue Ox did. Bought the Roadmaster.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a Roadmaster sterling and blue ox base plate. I chose the roadmaster because I could get it used . In my opinion both companies and Demco make good towbars ( Demco's new design is slick). If i were to replace the roadmaster it Might be with a Blue Ox as I feel the support at the various rallys is better with blue ox. Just an opinion
Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #20

We have had both. Blue Ox is substantially better over the long run. We just had to replace our Blue Ox after over 100,000 miles of towing and Blue Ox gave us a substantianal discount on the new unit with the old as a trade. Connecting and disconnecting is easier with the Blue Ox and we have not had any kind of issue or failure in almost 10 years of towing. We have the unit serviced about once per year for which BO charges $25 which is very reasonable and when they found that the tow bar was reaching the end of it's life they stepped up and gave us a great deal on a new one.
Happy camper here!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RoadMaster is local, so I just take my Sterling over and they check it out and rebuild it for nothing
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Have had to replace my Roadmaster on 3, occassions and recently had to have the center yoke replaced. I think Roadmaster is a good company but the All Terrain doesnot live up to its hype.
My guess is that the hitch was not used within level specs or that you backed up with it. The hitch should not have failed three times and in fact the All Terrain is a superior product.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
We have had both. Blue Ox is substantially better over the long run. We just had to replace our Blue Ox after over 100,000 miles of towing and Blue Ox gave us a substantianal discount on the new unit with the old as a trade. Connecting and disconnecting is easier with the Blue Ox and we have not had any kind of issue or failure in almost 10 years of towing. We have the unit serviced about once per year for which BO charges $25 which is very reasonable and when they found that the tow bar was reaching the end of it's life they stepped up and gave us a great deal on a new one.
Happy camper here!
Bill:

I had exactly the same thing happen to me with Roadmaster. I got a new hitch upgraded to the current model for about half price. By the way, Roadmaster serviced my hitch this week at Escapade for free and they have always serviced it for free.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #24

Thx for the help.
morphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #25

We are on our 3rd toad and third roadmaster set up. Never a problem. I know nothing about Blue Ox except another on this forum had trouble getting his Blue Ox installed on his Ford Edge. Haven't heard if it was ever resolved. I think the problem was that Blue Ox was not yet up to speed on matching their product with Fords adaptive cruise control.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote