Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Blue Ox or Roadmaster?

I know...I did a search and there are many threads on this topic. However, there is one I can't find. A comparison of the two. Why should I buy one over the other? Which model should I use? I will be towing a Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks for the help.

jazzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ford or Chevy?
Friend had Blue Ox and liked it, I have a RoadMaster and like it. He got the Blue Ox at am FMCA rally and got a great deal. I went mail order but got RoadMaster because the factory was 20 miles from home. Now they moved to WA and are even closer as is WheelMaster, which they own.
RoadMaster does Finite Elemental Analysis for stress, not sure about Blue Ox as I've never looked at them, Demco also does the modeling.
Also, as an engineer (transportation engineer) myself I appreciate the extra strength that the crossbar adds to a RoadMaster. Yes, it's ugly but the extra support for the toweds frame is helpful in my book.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
jazzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I can't help you with a comparison but have used the Blue Ox Adventa tow bar for over four years now and it's been flawless. I also use their bike rack and drop hitch. Their stuff sure seems to be bullet proff to me.... not including the problems they've had with the Tru Center.

Good luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Maybe just because I'm so cheap, but I'd go for the best deal to decide? Criterea for decision much easier to decipher. Mine came from Craigslist, at less than half of what it would have cost new?

If I had to go new, I wouldn't go with either. I'd go with the Ready Brute, to get the built in brake system...
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had Roadmasters for the last 11 years with no problems. I am currently using the All Terrain and it is easy to hook up and unhook. The spreader bar adds strength to the setup. Blue Ox seems to break the fingers off at the connection point every once in a while but the parts come off easily so it doesn't show. I just leave mine on and don't worry about looks.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We went with a Blue Ox Aventa II. Very scientific reason why....

Bought it on Craigslist for $170

Joking aside we have only used this tow bar but no problems to report. The toad had a baseplate when we bought it. I really don't know what make but it all connected perfectly so I assume it was either a Blue Ox or they are all universal enough to work.

If it was a Roadmaster on Craiglist we probably would own one of them. I think that as long as it is a good known brand name they are held accountable for safety and if there was any problems you would have heard about it right here.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Since the base plate and how it attaches to the frame it the most important link in the chain and base plates are specific to each vehicle, how are you going to compare??
The height match between the base plate attachment points for the tow bar and the height of the tow vehicle hitch receiver is different for each base plate. Get the one that matches up best for the height of your tow vehicle hitch receiver.
Most RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
2000 National Sea Breeze F53
1998 CRV Toad
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used a blue ox since 1993, with zero problems.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Jerry and Shirley Leonard from Blue Ox PLUS a fully stocked trailer and Technician will be supporting the 2011 iRV2.com National Rally at the Bethpage Campground in Urbanna, VA. I believe that they will be coming in from having attended the PRVCA Show in Hershey, PA. I understand that Jerry & Shirley live close-by so this is going to be a good event for them.

They will have a booth setup in the Activities Center and will be presenting 4 separate seminars beginning on Monday morning after our fully catered breakfast.

Jerry & Shirley previously supported the 2006 iRV2 NATIONAL RALLY - SEVIERVILLE, TENNESSEE
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
My first one was a Roadmaster, six years ago, installed new. Often had problems removing pins to unhitch, even on level flat ground. No problems with hitching up. Three years ago, added towing to new vehicles, used Blue-Ox. Night and day difference. Effortless hitching and unhitching, no stuck pins, even on less than flat ground. Were I to do it again (and probably will), it will be Blue-Ox.

G L Arnold
'01 Bounder 33R
'06 Honda Element
Blue-Ox on both
2003 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4
1997 Keystone Sprinter 24RL
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used a Roadmaster, Stowmaster 5000 for years on 3 different cars. My Saturn came with a Demco Excalibar 8000 lb with an adaptor to the Roadmaster base plates. Sold the Saturn with the Stowmaster, kept the Excalibar and it is now on the Odyssey with Demco base plates. I like it a lot the Base plate is hardly noticeable.
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding Blue-OX or Roadmaster for the tow bars.. I can not thing of a single TECHNICAL reason to choose one over the other.. So I will give you two other reasons.. Alas neither of these is really a recommendation though, just a consideration:

I know the Blue Ox tow bars (The two good ones) both stow on the motor home. All that is left on the towed is the base plate and the connection there. I rather like this.

These systems the tow bar connects directly to the receiver on the MH.. There is no "hitch adapter" though a drop hitch adapter may be needed.

Roadmaster makes some systems that stow on the towed, they are (usually) designed to hook to a standard ball hitch on the motor home. Again the drop adapter may be needed.

IF you plan on carrying bicycles on the motor home.. And do not need a rise/drop adapter, the blue ox units limit your choices of hitch mounted tow racks.. (Not that this is a problem)

Personally.. I like the ones that stow on the house, not the car.

Now, the other consideration:

What does your dealer carry?
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
Blue Ox of coarse is there any other.

Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote